Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Music subscription services (Google All Access, Spotify,etc).

What's your experience like with these. I've been doing the free trial of google music, and like it quite a bit. But noticed they don't have brand new releases. ie was looking for the new Vampire Weekend and The National. Is that typical of these services? Spotify the same? When do they come out? I like the idea of Spotify since it has an app on my receivers, and I don't have a good way to listen to google music on my receivers.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Way of the future. I use Pandora exclusively through a VPN, as well as Google Music for my own stuff. My issue as well is accessing new music, and finding niche artists within the genres I like.

Rdio has new music Tuesday feature I believe, where you can see what CDs were released.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Way of the future. I use Pandora exclusively through a VPN, as well as Google Music for my own stuff. My issue as well is accessing new music, and finding niche artists within the genres I like.

Rdio has new music Tuesday feature I believe, where you can see what CDs were released.
I've been using Pandora pretty much exclusively for the last few years. Looking for something for more on-demand stuff. Does Rdio do the on-demand subscription thing?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rdio is an on-demand service. $5 for a desktop subscription and $10 for a monthly mobile subscription.

They usually have all the new releases as well. Although they don't have the two that you mentioned so I am assuming that is a license or record deal issue. They have a bunch of other albums from those two bands so I would bet that sooner or later those albums will show up. Typically though albums are released on Rdio the same day they are released everywhere else.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Rdio will at times not have a big release, but they generally arrive either on release day or a few weeks after.

Rdio has been one of the greatest additions to the musical side of my life over the last decade. I've found so many great bands and have turned many other onto them as well. Making connections with a bunch of people with similar interests and then watching your "heavy rotation" section fill up is pretty awesome.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Rdio is fantastic. But for my music listening habits, I find it a bit pricey.

Songza and 8tracks are decent free alternatives.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favorite is Grooveshark; I'm grandfathered in, so it's $30 for a premium annual subscription.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This answers my questions:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...0130522vampire

Looks like music industry is going with release windows like the movie industry and holding out their albums to maximize initial sales for a few weeks. Kind of puts a damper on these services for me. I already have a pretty big library up on google cloud, and there are only at most one album every month or two I'd buy anyway, hard to justify the $8/month when albums on google are only $6 in a lot of cases.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

It's generally pretty rare that a new album doesn't appear on Rdio. I've been a subscriber since 2010 I think, and the service is just outstanding. I've bought 1 album in that time (Streetlight Manifesto, because Victory Records are terrible and are blocking the release of a Toh Kay album), and my musical consumption has gone through the roof.

There are occasions where an album was available and then is no longer available, and that can frustrate some people, but for those rare occasions, you might as well have it purchased. A lot of the time I don't notice songs go out of license because I'm busy listening to everything else.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How come Rdio can be legal in Canada, but Pandora and Spotify aren't?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
It's generally pretty rare that a new album doesn't appear on Rdio. I've been a subscriber since 2010 I think, and the service is just outstanding. I've bought 1 album in that time (Streetlight Manifesto, because Victory Records are terrible and are blocking the release of a Toh Kay album), and my musical consumption has gone through the roof.

There are occasions where an album was available and then is no longer available, and that can frustrate some people, but for those rare occasions, you might as well have it purchased. A lot of the time I don't notice songs go out of license because I'm busy listening to everything else.
I mainly use Pandora, especially at work and Google music on my phone. The only time I use Rdio is when you post something on Twitter, which I admit I enjoy as it is typically something I don't listen to or have heard before.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another happy Rdio subscriber here. The huge win for me has been music discovery as others have noted.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find Jango ok.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I have been using Rdio for the past few days and I must say it is pretty cool. Being able to listen to a whole album is very cool. I haven't started any stations or anything yet but might later on. What does the subscription get you?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Knut

Exp:

^ use across multiple devices and saving music to use offline on your device (great for driving etc) are the main ones.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rdio has introduced a neat new feature - search by label, which then means you can play a label station. Want some punk? Pull up Epitaph. Jazz this evening? How about Riverside Records. Etc,etc. Very cool new feature.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Rdio and it's amazing. I should note that if you download the iPhone app the subscription is $15 but if you subscribe through the web instead and then use your login information on the app it's only $10.

I've had to buy a few albums (new Vampire Weekend for example) but I don't mind it. I consume a lot of music so its worth it. They have a great selection of old and new stuff.

It has basically replaced itunes on my iphone.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Other cool things to do with Rdio:
http://static.echonest.com/frog/

http://eavesdrop.io/signin
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alternative html5 rdio interface, for Blackberry Z10 users or others without a real client on their phones (prolly just Z10 users lol)

http://forte.fm/
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

If you're a Shazam user, it also syncs to Rdio.

I've used Rdio for nearly a year now. It's brilliant! I can't remember the last time I used iTunes. And I'll echo the sentiment about discovering music. I simply love it and use it every single day wether I'm at home, driving, gym, at the office etc.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote