Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The CP Kickstarter Thread

Surprised no one has created one of these yet. I know we have a few avid fans on here, and I'm just kind of getting into it. So I guess here's a good place to share projects you like, want to discuss, etc. I really like this idea for a new console based around the Android OS.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

There are tons of great things going on with Kickstarter. However, I've struggled with Canadians not being allow to raise money on the site. Our money is good enough to take but aren't allow to raise funds. I'm sure there are numerous hoops they'd have to jump through to get this to happen but until then, I'll probably keep my money in my pocket.

Unless, of course, there's a tremendous product I feel like investing in.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Penny Arcade Kickstarter doesn't make any sense to me. It's mostly a bunch of money for no ads on their site for one year. Doesn't seem like a worth while investment to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cade-sells-out
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

D-Day dice is the only thing I have purchased and I should see it some time next week.

I have looked at Ouya, I am just not sure what games might be on there so I am a little hesitant to drop that dollar value on it.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
D-Day dice is the only thing I have purchased and I should see it some time next week.

I have looked at Ouya, I am just not sure what games might be on there so I am a little hesitant to drop that dollar value on it.
Yeah, I only dropped $10 on it for now, but I really like the idea of a platform built entirely around FTP. It also looks like they're going to allow/encourage rooting of the system.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

F2P not FTP took me a second.

I have bought a couple KickStarter games I think it will take off more when items actually start shipping and people can see the product they bought in to.

Last edited by Raekwon; 07-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The Penny Arcade Kickstarter doesn't make any sense to me. It's mostly a bunch of money for no ads on their site for one year. Doesn't seem like a worth while investment to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cade-sells-out
From my understanding it's more than just that. The idea is that they can get away from producing licenced comic stips (like their Zelda comic) to focus and explore more of their own ideas. They'll have the chance to spend more time producing series like The Lookouts or Automata.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought\funded\supported (whatever we are calling it) the Pebble e-paper watch that ships out in September. I get that other watches do the same thing (Sony) but it feels nice to give some up and comer smart people some money.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
There are tons of great things going on with Kickstarter. However, I've struggled with Canadians not being allow to raise money on the site.
Are you sure about this? I saw some projects based out of Edmonton this morning.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments for transferring money. That isn't available to Canadians yet. You need to have an American address and bank account to participate.

Canadians who are participating in Kickstarter usually have a friend or relative in the states to use for their address.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only thing I've funded/pre-ordered so far is Wasteland 2.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I bought\funded\supported (whatever we are calling it) the Pebble e-paper watch that ships out in September. I get that other watches do the same thing (Sony) but it feels nice to give some up and comer smart people some money.
Same here. I love that they are creating an SDK for Pebble though. That will be awesome as a developer.
cKy
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments for transferring money. That isn't available to Canadians yet. You need to have an American address and bank account to participate.

Canadians who are participating in Kickstarter usually have a friend or relative in the states to use for their address.
Couldn't you just set up an American P.O. Box?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They won't accept PO Boxes as a primary residence.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's what Kickstarter says on their website, but I know someone (a Canadian citizen) who has an American bank account, address, and EIN. She attempted to do a kickstarter project, and was told that you need to actually be an american citizen, something that kickstarter doesn't publicly say on their site.

Officially, Kickstarter even says that you aren't allowed to circumvent their rules by using a friend or relative in the US, but it's pretty clear they look the other way when people do use this approach.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be funny if a Canadian resident used a relative's address in the States to start a Canadian Kickstarter website?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

Lots of other reasons to be highly skeptical of Ouya..lots and lots of unanswered and deliberately avoided answers when those guys are asked about the product.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I supported Pebble, I can't wait to get a watch. Good to see some Waterloo folks go big, even if they did need to locate to Silicon Valley.

There have been a number of projects that interest me. Although I find I'm only really interested in the Product Design.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Pretty cool idea. Few billion people on the internet. Get a good idea going, and suddenly you have a massive group of people that could invest a few dollars.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one I'm contemplating right now is this really sweet iphone case. Pricy, but sweet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...for-the-iphone
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post: