Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Browser not rendering HTML

So I rarely post about work related issues here, but this one has me stumped and I think is kind of strange/interesting.

I did a website update about 8 or 9 months ago, adding a page using our ModX CMS. Last week, someone came to tell me that the link is no longer showing up in the menu for them. I check on my PC and everything is fine, but sure enough it isn't showing up for them (same IE browser, same 64 bit Windows).

This is correct:

This is the wrong one:

Assuming it is some strange cache issue, I force a refresh and clear everything, reset browser settings to default, and nothing changes it.

Then, I look at at the source code for the page in both browsers, and both pages contain the correct link, but one is not rendering it for some reason.

Code:
<div id="sidebar_nav">
<div class="profile_ind_menu">
<ul>
<li><a href="vision-and-mission" target="_self" >Vision and Mission</a></li>
<li><a href="board" target="_self" >Board of Directors</a></li>
<li><a href="supporters" target="_self" >Supporters</a></li>
<li><a href="annual-reports" target="_self" >Annual Reports.</a></li>
</ul></div>
</div>
If I make a small change to the page, it shows up correctly, so it isn't a cache issue at all.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In IE, if you hit F12, it will open the Developer console, which lets you look through the code and see what CSS is being applied to the page.

You can find the HTML on the left side of the console and use the "Trace Styles" on the right side to see what styles are being applied to the HTML. That will let you see if there's something telling it to not display in the browser.

Also in the Developer console, at the top beside the menus, it will show the Browser Mode and Document Mode. IE being IE can sometimes display differently if these modes are set differently, so make sure they're all the same in the two browsers. Something as simple as a "Compatibility" view can be enough to throw it out of whack.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toggling compatibility mode fixed it. IE7 Standards didn't like it, I guess.