Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #781
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ottawa Fury are now appealing to the Court of Arbitration and Sport.

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/978696
Should be interesting, but I think the Fury have next to no legal leg to stand on. By all accounts, CanPL has a bigger salary cap than most USL teams (with a way higher ceiling, since the biggest clubs aren't likely going to move to MLS) and they all have better season ticket/membership trends than Ottawa, so likely more revenue.

The best argument they have is to claim there's no USL equivalent in Canada because they want to be a second division feeder team and CanPL 2 is years away.

I suspect the outcome is that they are allowed USL sanctioning for 2019 only because shoehorning them into CanPL might be a pain at this stage. No way they aren't forced to fold or eat some crow and end up in CanPL in 2020.

Also have to say I admire the restraint being shown by CanPL. Haven't come across anything with them wading in or taking shots. They have acted far more professional (in public at least) than OSEG has.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #782
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, OSEG has been petulant since the announcement came out, although I can understand why. Their last news release toned the rhetoric down though.

The following article has a snippet on salaries. A roster of 23 players on $35K a year is a salary cap of $805K, to give an idea of a potential salary cap.

Quote:
And Sacramento won’t get rich doing it, most players likely to earn between $35,000 and $75,000 per season in the CPL, at least to start.
https://beta.canada.com/sports/socce...fedc5fc76/html

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #783
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

CONCACAF has caved, and has granted USL sanctioning for the Ottawa Fury for 2019. Any sanctioning past 2019 "will be reviewed". Definitely the least messy option.

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/978696

Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #784
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

And CONCACAF's statement on the sanctioning:

Quote:
Concacaf understands that Ottawa Fury FC has withdrawn its unnecessary application to CAS for provisional measures. As we had made clear to the club prior to its commencement of its complaint to CAS, our official process began on December 17, when Concacaf received the application from the CSA seeking Concacaf’s authorization for the club to participate in the USL 2019 season only. That very same day, we explained to the club that we were expediting the request and that we expected to conclude the review and decision-making process imminently. Ottawa Fury FC’s filing with CAS and their extensive public relations campaign was a needless and misinformed distraction during this process. Although Concacaf, the CSA and USSF have given their respective authorizations, before the club may participate in the USL for the 2019 season, the Ottawa Fury FC still is required to obtain authorization from FIFA under the clear mandate of FIFA Article 73

https://www.concacaf.com/en/article/...&sf204764404=1

Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #785
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
browna, that should be the CSA's motto, "don't rock the boat". When's the last time Canada Soccer made a tough decision?
Yup, put your head in the sand, as that ensures that all factions that play politics within the CSA on a day to day basis, don't get any traction on being able to remove the current regime, and the minor administrative problem of a club wanting to play in a league outside of the country that has one already, will go away.

CSA knew if it took a stand here, it may set precedent for Vancouver Montreal and Toronto (it won't, but they dare not risk it) , as there's no way the CSA would want to irritate MLSE or the Saputos, having them be leaving them email messages because that would mean the beginning of the end for those in charge.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #786
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sanctioning for one year was always going to be the likely outcome.

The message has been sent, next year it's the CPL or else.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #787
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Construction underway on new soccer stadium at Spruce Meadows ahead of CPL launch
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/construct...unch-1.4232797
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #788
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few renders of the new stadium from last night's segment. Spoilered for size...

NSFW!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #789
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why are the seats so far back in the ends? Doesn’t look that great. Tbe main stand is decent but those pillars supporting the roof look amateur.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #790
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Actually don`t mind the pillars personally, reminds me of a older soccer stadium aesthetically but not great for viewing obstructions I bet. And agree the stands being so far off the field is weird. I get that they need to accommodate showjumping but they just look like moveable bleachers anyway.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #791
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With the purchase dates approaching I'm wondering if anybody wants to split a couple of season tickets? I'm member number 75 so my purchase date is the 14th. I just don't think I'll be able to get to every game so a half season commitment makes more sense. I'm leaning towards the supporters section or adjacent but am not set on that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #792
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually not a bad idea Arsenal. I'm number 258 so my call date is the 16th, but that 'half season' arrangement is something I could possibly revisit next year - I want to see, however, if I can commit to going to a full 15 games first.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #793
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can confirm another Foothills PDL player that will be announced as a Cavalry signing - Dean Northover, who played right back for them most the season. Works harder than anyone on the pitch, and really good technically. Look for him to take a lot of chances to score after learning how his salary is structured lol.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #794
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, has Dean every scored a goal? Don't think he gets many shots away.

Had another supporters meetup last night at Bonasera Pub. To say it was a success was an understatement. 40 people showed up, and many of those who did were brand new supporters, and had other friends who want in on section 200. Tommy Wheeldon and Marco Carducci showed up and chatted with folks for a bit too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #795
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Heh, has Dean every scored a goal? Don't think he gets many shots away
Not once lol. Surprising because he’s quite creative and a great finisher. He’s the guy that stays at half for offensive corners though, which makes sense given his height.

(Full disclosure - bonuses aren’t only for goals. Games played/started, etc.)
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #796
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have been a bunch of signings this week. The most notable one is Marcus Haber, who signed with Pacific. Personally, I don't rate him, but he's a decent signing considering he was scoring against Celtic two years ago.

Also, the Voyageurs Cup schedule is out, and the format is pretty screwy this year. Here's the logic behind the seedings:
- Toronto get a bye to the fourth round because they won the tournament last year.
- Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa get a bye to the third round because they played in the tournament last year.
- Edmonton, Valour and Forge get a bye to the second round because they were all in existence in 2017. Really, that's the justification...
- Cavalry, York, Pacific and Halifax are in the first round, along with Blainville and Vaughan.

https://canadasoccer.com/canada-socc...atches-p161994

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #797
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wasn't Calgary announced before Winnipeg or Hamilton? How on earth do they get credit for "existing"?

At least it's only year one stupidity. The real win is that this tournament won't be the 3-5 team joke it used to be.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #798
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton and Winnipeg were announced the same day as the league. Their clubs may have been unveiled after Cavalry, but they were granted their clubs before the others, who were granted their clubs last spring.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #799
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i don't like that the future CPL champs don't seem to have a path to the Champions League.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #800
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

HFX signed four players today, one of which is named Elton John. That's just amazing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: