Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #201
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Yup this. You could consider waiting until the 29th and seeing the exact pricing of the new nexus.
Yeah, going to wait until the new Nexus device to come out to see if the Galaxy Nexus drops. I know when I bought my Nexus S from Wind I just told them I'm going to buy it and I'd pop in my own Sim card, so I'd hope I can walk away from Mobilicity without signing up for a new deal of any kind. Wind has it 499 outright Mobi has it 399.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #202
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, going to wait until the new Nexus device to come out to see if the Galaxy Nexus drops. I know when I bought my Nexus S from Wind I just told them I'm going to buy it and I'd pop in my own Sim card, so I'd hope I can walk away from Mobilicity without signing up for a new deal of any kind. Wind has it 499 outright Mobi has it 399.
Even if the new Nexus doesn't turn to be something you're interested in, you could buy an LNIB Galaxy Nexus for 350ish and less from some people. Saves you from needing to bother with the one month if a dealer isn't willing to just sell it.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #203
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And if you wait till the new Nexus device comes out, the Galaxy Nexus will probably drop below $300 from various sources like Kijiji.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #204
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dropped my nexus s 5 minutes ago. Wasn't close to being the worst drop i've given it but.. Cracked. Looks like i'll be upgrading sooner rather than later.

4.1.2 really stabilized the nexus s though. Jelly Bean seemed to be a bigger upgrade then it could handle but the new update smoothed it out nicely.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #205
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Good news for Wind users.

Quote:
Tony Lacavera ‏@TonyLacavera
Strengthened our relationship with our investors - secures Wind's ongoing expansion plans to bring a new choice in wireless to Canadians!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #206
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Good news for Wind users.
Looking forward to the introduction of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 into the line up of phones offered by Wind. Yes, I deem the service is worthy of the best of smartphones.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #207
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Need some help/advice.

I just realized my Nexus S is still under the one year warranty, figure even if I get a new phone might as well take advantage of this and get it replaced. Obviously, don't have the receipt though (stupid). Wind has two warranty centers. I might head out to the one on 17th ave after work tomorrow. Anyone know how painful this process will be? Or if they will even do anything?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #208
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

My iPhone 3Gs is a little long in the tooth, and I am thinking of getting a new phone. Normally I try to purchase outright and avoid contracts, but right now I just can't do it, so am looking into options.

Rogers is willing to give me a pretty good deal right now ($50 for Galaxy Nexus, $60 for Galaxy S3, both on FlexTab), but obviously I feel like I can do better with my plan, so I am considering Wind as either an option or something for me to hold over Roger's head to reduce my monthly cost.

I guess my question is, how likely is it that Wind will have a promotion over the next couple months that will give me a plan that is enough better than Rogers that I can switch? I don't travel much, so Winds limited zones are not an issue for me, but the $40 plan they currently offer really isn't good enough for me to get rid of Rogers, since it only saves me about $10 a month. Especially considering that the FlexTab seems much better than the WindTab, plus my initial outlay on the device will be less on Rogers.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #209
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's your 50 dollar plan with Rogers? I would be shocked if it's anywhere near the 40 dollar plan on Wind.

I too prefer to purchase phones out right. Have you looked at the just announced Nexus 4? Only 359 and you own it outright, no plan, not locked to any carrier.

New Nexus 4 - $359
New SIII - $599 (locked to Rogers)
New iPhone $699 16GB (Locked to Rogers

My Nexus S is running long in the tooth now as well. I'm on the 40/month plan from Wind and had 600 set aside for a new phone. Can't describe how ecstatic I am about being able to get the new Nexus 4 directly from Google.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #210
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
My iPhone 3Gs is a little long in the tooth, and I am thinking of getting a new phone. Normally I try to purchase outright and avoid contracts, but right now I just can't do it, so am looking into options.

Rogers is willing to give me a pretty good deal right now ($50 for Galaxy Nexus, $60 for Galaxy S3, both on FlexTab), but obviously I feel like I can do better with my plan, so I am considering Wind as either an option or something for me to hold over Roger's head to reduce my monthly cost.

I guess my question is, how likely is it that Wind will have a promotion over the next couple months that will give me a plan that is enough better than Rogers that I can switch? I don't travel much, so Winds limited zones are not an issue for me, but the $40 plan they currently offer really isn't good enough for me to get rid of Rogers, since it only saves me about $10 a month. Especially considering that the FlexTab seems much better than the WindTab, plus my initial outlay on the device will be less on Rogers.
I'd say that it's almost granted that there'll be some sort of holiday promotion in the coming months. The Christmas season has always been one of the peak times for activations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #211
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
What's your 50 dollar plan with Rogers? I would be shocked if it's anywhere near the 40 dollar plan on Wind.

I too prefer to purchase phones out right. Have you looked at the just announced Nexus 4? Only 359 and you own it outright, no plan, not locked to any carrier.

New Nexus 4 - $359
New SIII - $599 (locked to Rogers)
New iPhone $699 16GB (Locked to Rogers

My Nexus S is running long in the tooth now as well. I'm on the 40/month plan from Wind and had 600 set aside for a new phone. Can't describe how ecstatic I am about being able to get the new Nexus 4 directly from Google.
Buying a phone outright is not an option right now, unless I go with a minor upgrade, like an iPhone 4, which isn't really worth it.

My plan with Rogers handles more minutes than I could possibly use, and 1GB data when I have never gone above 250MB. There is also the minor benefit that my wife can call me for free (Rogers to Rogers), since she has a serious cell phone minute problem. The only thing that would be 'better' about Wind is unlimited data, but since I never feel restricted by the 1GB I have, I doubt I would get enough use out of it to have it weigh heavily in my choice.

If I could get that same plan, or another one that suits my needs for $30 or less from Wind, then it would outweigh the benefits that FlexTab gives over WindTab. This is partially due to the fact that I do think I will be buying out my tab before the contract is finished, if for no other reason than to get a new phone, so the $16-20 you get in credit from Flextab a month is much better than the $3-4 on WindTab. The end result is after after 2 years on Wind you still owe over $500 on a $600 phone if you cancel, but only owe $200 for the same phone on FlexTab. Add in the extra cost for initial device and that difference is over $350.

That means that after 2 years, I need to save more than that with Wind a month, which means at minimum the plan needs to be $15 a month cheaper, including any 'roaming' charges I might get.

If I thought I would be happy keeping a single phone for 3 years, then it wouldn't matter, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'd say that it's almost granted that there'll be some sort of holiday promotion in the coming months. The Christmas season has always been one of the peak times for activations.
Are they typically just reduced rates on the same plans? or are there variations?

Like I don't need unlimited data, unlimited text, Canada wide Wind zones, etc. If they have something that might not include some of that stuff for an even further reduced rate, then I might just hold off.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #212
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Buying a phone outright is not an option right now, unless I go with a minor upgrade, like an iPhone 4, which isn't really worth it.

My plan with Rogers handles more minutes than I could possibly use, and 1GB data when I have never gone above 250MB. There is also the minor benefit that my wife can call me for free (Rogers to Rogers), since she has a serious cell phone minute problem. The only thing that would be 'better' about Wind is unlimited data, but since I never feel restricted by the 1GB I have, I doubt I would get enough use out of it to have it weigh heavily in my choice.

If I could get that same plan, or another one that suits my needs for $30 or less from Wind, then it would outweigh the benefits that FlexTab gives over WindTab. This is partially due to the fact that I do think I will be buying out my tab before the contract is finished, if for no other reason than to get a new phone, so the $16-20 you get in credit from Flextab a month is much better than the $3-4 on WindTab. The end result is after after 2 years on Wind you still owe over $500 on a $600 phone if you cancel, but only owe $200 for the same phone on FlexTab. Add in the extra cost for initial device and that difference is over $350.

That means that after 2 years, I need to save more than that with Wind a month, which means at minimum the plan needs to be $15 a month cheaper, including any 'roaming' charges I might get.

If I thought I would be happy keeping a single phone for 3 years, then it wouldn't matter, but I doubt that will happen.

Are they typically just reduced rates on the same plans? or are there variations?

Like I don't need unlimited data, unlimited text, Canada wide Wind zones, etc. If they have something that might not include some of that stuff for an even further reduced rate, then I might just hold off.
Really does seem like sticking with Rogers is the better choice considering the lack of incentive to move to Wind with you already getting more than what you need with your plan. The only reason why you might want to consider Wind is the $32 local plan where roaming will be more likely, but otherwise has the bare minimums you're looking for.

This year they'll probably include some throw-ins like voicemail. Perhaps a small price drop but it'll be interesting to see since Wind has really loaded up on handsets and looks to want to make true on their promise of 600,000 Canadian subscribers.
Edit: Also if you wait a little more during the holiday season, it's really likely that those prices on the initial payment for the flex tab might drop a little more.

Last edited by Anduril; 10-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #213
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
Looking forward to the introduction of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 into the line up of phones offered by Wind. Yes, I deem the service is worthy of the best of smartphones.
The Galaxy Note 2 is here, going for $750 - more or less inline with Telus. Serious money for a mobile device but I am still sorely tempted to get one, and I just might do that in a few weeks.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #214
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyne on Mobolicity? Or, can anyone comment on their service? The half price $22.50 plan looks like a damn good deal to me ...

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

Im pretty sure 6gb of data will be sufficient for me.

Looks like you have to buy the phone outright. So, the Galaxy S3 would cost $300 more than Wind out of the gate, but, that difference would be made up in a little over 1 1/2 years. Data is limited to 6gb, which I think would be enough, offers a few other perks over the Wind offering. Coverage map seemed very similar to Wind. Would be curious to hear if anyone has first or even second hand knowledge. Thanks.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #215
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

no idea on exactly how good the reception is...but from when i did my research earlier this year, generally wind reception > mobilicity
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #216
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess it'll be Wind. Felt I owed it to myself to check out the other major discount carrier and to be honest, that half price plan promotion had me very interested. So, I checked out the nearest retailer from their website to look into Mobilicity in person. Just so happened it was the neighborhood Superstore. Went there last night, proceeded to the mobile counter and inquired about Mobilicity. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. "We don't sell Mobilicity." I thought that interesting given the Mobilicity website directed me there. They did try to sell me on Virgin or Koodoo, but, I'm not interested in a combo plan costing near or more than double Wind or Mobilicity. They then proceed to trash Wind and Mobilicity has having terrible coverage and told me I might be roaming in many places in the city. This I've been lead to believe is no longer an issue.

So, I checked the Mobilicity website again and found they had a store at Art Central downtown. That was my lunch time mission today. Imagine my surprise when I found absolutely no indication of a Mobilicity or wireless store of any sort there. So, obviously I'm concerned with Mobilicity now. Terrible website management? Appparently. Losing retailers? Apparently. Fly by night? Perhaps. Going under? Perhaps. Thanks for wasting my time Mobilicity.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #217
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just saw in an ad that Wind now has the Galaxy Note 2!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #218
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
I guess it'll be Wind. Felt I owed it to myself to check out the other major discount carrier and to be honest, that half price plan promotion had me very interested. So, I checked out the nearest retailer from their website to look into Mobilicity in person. Just so happened it was the neighborhood Superstore. Went there last night, proceeded to the mobile counter and inquired about Mobilicity. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. "We don't sell Mobilicity." I thought that interesting given the Mobilicity website directed me there. They did try to sell me on Virgin or Koodoo, but, I'm not interested in a combo plan costing near or more than double Wind or Mobilicity. They then proceed to trash Wind and Mobilicity has having terrible coverage and told me I might be roaming in many places in the city. This I've been lead to believe is no longer an issue.

So, I checked the Mobilicity website again and found they had a store at Art Central downtown. That was my lunch time mission today. Imagine my surprise when I found absolutely no indication of a Mobilicity or wireless store of any sort there. So, obviously I'm concerned with Mobilicity now. Terrible website management? Appparently. Losing retailers? Apparently. Fly by night? Perhaps. Going under? Perhaps. Thanks for wasting my time Mobilicity.
Not to mention Wind also has a much better selection of phones.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #219
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Just saw in an ad that Wind now has the Galaxy Note 2!
Finding stock will be another thing as everybody is struggling to bring it in, likely because of the chaos on the east coast.
Samsung is really going to be the top phone manufacturer in Canada for a while if they keep up the non restrictions on which carrier gets their flagship devices.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #220
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been the mobility store in the art mall....it's on the second floor. I remember since I thought it was a weird place to have a cell phone store
secol is offline   Reply With Quote