Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2023, 07:13 AM   #6941
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Agreed. Calgary is going to jump back to the UCP. But They'll shake their fist and say "were watching you, Danielle!"

I'm sure the UCP will do things differently after that. For sure. 100%.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:46 AM   #6942
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rich get richer.

Fiscal Conservatism everyone! Give 'em a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #6943
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Public dollars for private benefit. The Alberta way.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 07:59 AM   #6944
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Grifters gonna grift.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:04 AM   #6945
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
it's disgusting, but what they're doing is going to work.

I really don't see Calgary turning from the UCP. Too many selfish people and too many politically uneducated people who won't vote NDP because of "reasons"
No one forgets what this Province looked liked under Notley. Maybe people are more politically aware than you think.

It’s good you’re coming around to the reality of the next Provincial election results.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:08 AM   #6946
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1623676208473948166

Some interesting numbers on equalization payments.
You mean the quirk in the formula that was designed by Harper? Yup, very interesting indeed.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 08:13 AM   #6947
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious to see how the pilot will work after they have all their conversations. I do think that cleaning up these wells, sooner rather than kicking the can down the road, is going to be a benefit. I think it is similar to pay a parking ticket sooner to get a discount. Probably would be a good way to phase in some sort of time period for reclamation.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 08:39 AM   #6948
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I am curious to see how the pilot will work after they have all their conversations. I do think that cleaning up these wells, sooner rather than kicking the can down the road, is going to be a benefit. I think it is similar to pay a parking ticket sooner to get a discount. Probably would be a good way to phase in some sort of time period for reclamation.
Or if you're a well owner, just don't pay it at all, and get a wad of cash shoved into your glovebox instead.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #6949
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
No it's not. It's pure and utter bull#### grifting for their cronies.

I believe this is the UCP giving them money to take care of something they have a legal responsibility to pay for themselves.

Did you at least read the article?

Opposition New Democrat energy critic Kathleen Ganley said there should be a conversation about the pilot project happening with the public.

“They’re taking public money and giving it to oil companies to do work they are already legally obligated to do and they’re doing it at a time of high oil prices,” Ms. Ganley said.

The idea has been widely panned by economists, environmentalists, rural municipalities and analysts within Alberta Energy. Critics call the program risky, opaque and a violation of the polluter-pay principle.

The proposal has been pushed for years, including by Premier Danielle Smith when she was a business lobbyist. A former RStar lobbyist now works in Ms. Smith’s Calgary office. The program was part of Mr. Guthrie’s mandate letter when Ms. Smith named him to cabinet.

total crap to pay them to take care of the issue.
as the article says

"Other suggestions to address Alberta’s huge abandoned well program exist.

“They could say, ‘You’re not allowed to drill any more unless you clean up a well,’” Mr. Bennett said.

Timelines are another option, said Mr. Popowich.

“If a well is shut for 12 months, you’ve got 18 months to clean it up,” he said. “Most jurisdictions have that timeline. Alberta has none.”

and I agree with this.

“At minimum, the UCP should be talking to not just friends and insiders, but to the entire public.”
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #6950
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No one forgets what this Province looked liked under Notley. Maybe people are more politically aware than you think.

It’s good you’re coming around to the reality of the next Provincial election results.
I'd ask you to explain but I know you won't. It was pretty much fine under Notley, and she wasn't in the news every few days saying the dumbest #### like the last 3.5 years of the UCP which is something, because the pro conservative press would have loved to run her out of office with scandal after scandal but alas, no such luck
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #6951
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're saying someone should remind them how much money the UCP has squandered, blown, given away, bet, and grifted in the last four years? The ANDP should absolutely start a website that publicly tracks this.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #6952
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Or if you're a well owner, just don't pay it at all, and get a wad of cash shoved into your glovebox instead.
I can't recall seeing a situation in government or anywhere else where one party is not living up to their contractual obligations and get rewarded with more cash to live up to them.

It's effectively the reverse situation of being sued for breach of contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #6953
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I'd ask you to explain but I know you won't. It was pretty much fine under Notley, and she wasn't in the news every few days saying the dumbest #### like the last 3.5 years of the UCP which is something, because the pro conservative press would have loved to run her out of office with scandal after scandal but alas, no such luck
Let's also not forget they had to inherit a complete collapse in oil prices and seemed to manage well all things considered. The UCP managed to take power during the economic recovery (also out of their control), and are taking credit for riding $100/bbl like they architected the whole recovery. They're also blaming the NDP for the impact of the global economic recession.

Luck, it would seem, is not without astute coincidental timing.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #6954
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really because I could swear that red lights lasted longer, and green lights were shorter.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:28 AM   #6955
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully the pilot project doesn’t end up going anywhere. Especially with mandatory liability spend coming into effect this year, a program like this just isn’t needed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:36 AM   #6956
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hopefully the pilot project doesn’t end up going anywhere. Especially with mandatory liability spend coming into effect this year, a program like this just isn’t needed.
Indeed, where is the Minister of Red Tape Reduction when we need him?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 10:18 AM   #6957
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

“They could say, ‘You’re not allowed to drill any more unless you clean up a well,’” Mr. Bennett said.

Timelines are another option, said Mr. Popowich.

“If a well is shut for 12 months, you’ve got 18 months to clean it up,” he said. “Most jurisdictions have that timeline. Alberta has none.”
Both of these things exist already. There is a mandatory timeline for abandoning inactive wells, and you can't get a license for a new well unless your liability management ratio meets a threshold.

That said, this is a stupid program and shouldn't be implemented. But those are bad critiques.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #6958
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they are bringing in a new liability program, why throw out this pilot before the new program has even started? I am starting to think because UCP is the answer and that probably is enough said.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #6959
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't it funny how the same people who complain about Trudeau "ruining" Canada's image globally are also okay with their local leader being an utter baffoon and taking it to a new level?
Old 02-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #6960
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Both of these things exist already. There is a mandatory timeline for abandoning inactive wells, and you can't get a license for a new well unless your liability management ratio meets a threshold.

That said, this is a stupid program and shouldn't be implemented. But those are bad critiques.
In that case, they just fold the other company and create a new one? It doesn't seem to bother them much- Just ask Brett Wilson
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post: