Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #4921
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The insanity behind the scenes is even more crazy than what we could've anticipated. I've never heard anyone suggest that the 1982 repatriation of the constitution is invalid, and this is coming from a professor at the University of Calgary!

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
Canada's Constitution is not a legitimate document, and has not safeguarded Alberta's interests within federation, says one of the architects of that province's newly passed Sovereignty Act.

"I want the Constitution to be changed, or we'll have another referendum," said Barry Cooper, referring to independence referendums in Quebec in the 1980s and 1990s.

Cooper is a professor of political science at the University of Calgary and one of the authors of a policy paper called the Free Alberta Strategy, seen as the unofficial blueprint for the Alberta Sovereignty Within a United Canada Act, also known as the Sovereignty Act.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #4922
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I just angrily e-mailed Empty.Chair@assembly.ab.ca.

Calgary-Elbow still doesn't have an MLA. Thanks Doug Schweitzer for running away with your tail between your legs.
I dunno, jumping ship seems more honourable than supporting this disaster. Though he should have sat as an independent. And the real blame for your lack of representation lies with Smith, not Doug.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #4923
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The insanity behind the scenes is even more crazy than what we could've anticipated. I've never heard anyone suggest that the 1982 repatriation of the constitution is invalid, and this is coming from a professor at the University of Calgary!

What is he, a freeman on the land, too? Why do we have so many of these ####ing goofs in our province? And why do so many of our politicians listen to them?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #4924
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, jumping ship seems more honourable than supporting this disaster. Though he should have sat as an independent. And the real blame for your lack of representation lies with Smith, not Doug.
I blame both of them; Schweitzer for running away instead of acting as some voice of reason -- either from within the party or by sitting as an independent, and Smith for refusing to give us a by-election so we can actually have representation.

I think I'm going to volunteer for the NDP candidate in my area next provincial election.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #4925
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Check out his Rate my Prof reviews if you want some laughs/cringes.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #4926
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Check out his Rate my Prof reviews if you want some laughs/cringes.
I just did. holy crap. like this one...

"Barry Cooper is a truth teller, and a truth lover as well. he is a true conservative and a critic of government actions as he knows that media/politicians are corrupted and topics such as climate change and Covid are there to control people's behaviour. Barry wants to teach the truth but unfortunately students are already manipulated by media"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #4927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just listening to his interview, this guy has a massive chip on his shoulder. He should in no way be listened to, the guy says he has no doubt Alberta would be better as a separate country. That makes zero sense, as we have discussed before. He seems to think we are this massive province being repressed, not that we are one province amongst many.

Dude should #### off to a retirement home with Preston Manning.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #4928
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Just listening to his interview, this guy has a massive chip on his shoulder. He should in no way be listened to, the guy says he has no doubt Alberta would be better as a separate country. That makes zero sense, as we have discussed before. He seems to think we are this massive province being repressed, not that we are one province amongst many.

Dude should #### off to a retirement home with Preston Manning.
But Fuzz as a separate country we can build ALL THE PIPELINES WE WANT (to nowhere)
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #4929
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's ultra rich that they would rely on a UN ruling (multinational government overreach?) to get coastal access for pipeline products from an independent Alberta- one that is entirely uncertain. All that's protected really is port access, not building whatever infrastructure we so choose to the coast. These ####s are so myopic, it's totally mind numbing.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #4930
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this everyone's first time hearing about Barry Cooper?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #4931
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It's ultra rich that they would rely on a UN ruling (multinational government overreach?) to get coastal access for pipeline products from an independent Alberta- one that is entirely uncertain. All that's protected really is port access, not building whatever infrastructure we so choose to the coast. These ####s are so myopic, it's totally mind numbing.
I mean, it's working so well for Bolivia, the great nation of Free and Independent from Tyranny Alberta will clearly be able to get the same deal!

Oh...hmm.
Quote:
International court of justice says it will not order Chile to negotiate on granting Pacific Ocean access to Bolivia
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rejected-by-un
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #4932
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Is this everyone's first time hearing about Barry Cooper?
It's my first time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #4933
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Good thread on how they electricity "cap" is stupidly designed. TLDR, rebates from Jan-March will be recovered in future RRO rates from April - June.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1600680154661289985

Last edited by Torture; 12-08-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #4934
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's my first time.
Huh, I'm surprised.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barr...ical_scientist)

He has views on topics such as: First Nations, Climate change, long time advocate for separation, etc etc.

He was part of the "Calgary School", grouping of very conservative profs, including rTom Flanagan, Rainer Knopf, Ted Morton and David bBercuson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_School

He is part of the Free Alberta Strategy, with Rob Anderson (executive director of premiers office, former Wildrose MLA) and Derek From.

https://www.freealbertastrategy.com/the_strategy

Anyway, just google any of their names...

Last edited by RedHot25; 12-08-2022 at 02:42 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #4935
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Last edited by Torture; 12-08-2022 at 03:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #4936
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I mean, it's working so well for Bolivia, the great nation of Free and Independent from Tyranny Alberta will clearly be able to get the same deal!

Oh...hmm.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rejected-by-un
I was thinking about exactly this matter when writing that post.

I actually think we are likely to see some more CIA brought freedom to some of these South American nations if they can't work out better port access. Bolivia has all the lithium (and other rare earth elements) that north american industry could ever need... just need to access it freely.

Peru is undergoing some political uncertainty right now...
Old 12-08-2022, 03:24 PM   #4937
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When has taking an extremely adversarial position in govenrment ever got anyone anywhere? Bronconier spent years whining and complaining about the provincial government, and he was really ineffective at getting anything out of them. Nenshi spent years worknig with the province, despite being ideologically opposed. He spent years working towards a city charter, which was achieved. This is how you make politics work.

Smith spent zero point zero hours attempting to discuss anything with the feds before doing this. She didn't even try. She came in with a set of notions, right or wrong, and she's steam rolling with it. Is that how a good leader gets things done? Good politicians work with all levels of govenrment to get compromises that maybe to be exactly what they want, but that benefit citizens. This is playground level politics, it's embarrassing, and it's not likely to achieve anything.

I'd ask, what is the expected outcome on specifics that will benefit Alberta? Not hand wavy stuff, I mean things that will stand up in court and be a benefit to Alberta, and more importantly, Canada.
So, you're not a fan of the methodology. I can't speak to that or the ultimate efficacy of this Bill. I also can't speak to the level of effort put forth by former Premier's on attempting to get "a better deal from Ottawa". Nothing seems to have been successful to date unless you deem the status quo to be successful.

As far as expected outcomes. The only one that jumps to mind is the equalization program. And it really bothers me. It's based on the fiscal capacity of the individual province with a bit of actual revenue factored in. So, Ottawa can appease their Eastern base and hamper Alberta's ability to generate revenue, but this doesn't change our "fiscal capacity" so we get to still fork out equalization payments. Quebec has the second highest GDP in the country behind Ontario and still receive monies. If the federal government is going to base this on fiscal capacity, then they have to promote and support each provinces ability to benefit from said capacity. In the end that is good for Alberta and Canada.

Pipelines. Moot. We can only get so far until we run into another jurisdiction.

Vaccinations. Ugh, I know this is part of all of this, and that saddens me. If we wanted to disregard Ottawa's rules on that, it wouldn't matter for the same reasons as the pipelines. Plus, really, Ottawa wasn't terrible specifically and certainly didn't do anything to Alberta that they didn't do to the other provinces so there was nothing disproportionate about the Federal mandates.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #4938
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Looking for a some education here, not an argument.

Putting disdain for individuals (Smith, Cooper, et al) aside (my own included), what is so terribly wrong about making a move to try and give Alberta a little more autonomy? I'm not a separatist, and think talk around that is non-productive, but trying to give a province (this can apply to any province) more jurisdiction than what currently exists doesn't seem unreasonable when the needs of each and every province is quite different. What's the downside?

On the Current, Notley even agreed Alberta needs to "stand up for Alberta and get a better deal from Ottawa for sure" but, "do it like grown ups"

So, is Smith's aggression the issue? Is it the threat of separation if Ottawa doesn't conform bother most people? Is there something specific in the text of the bill raising red flags and alarms?

Genuinely curious and those aren't leading questions.
Flip question - what's the upside? I haven't heard any examples on how this could legitimately improve lives in Alberta.

Quote:
Nah, the only honourable move would be to sit as an independent and vote with a humane conscience on behalf of your constituents. He's just a loser.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 03:33 PM   #4939
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Flip question - what's the upside? I haven't heard any examples on how this could legitimately improve lives in Alberta.

Nah, the only honourable move would be to sit as an independent and vote with a humane conscience on behalf of your constituents. He's just a loser.
I supported Doug's leadership campaign, but when he kowtowed to Kenney and became his lap dog I knew it was all just campaign smoke. Unfortunate. Loser indeed.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #4940
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
And, that's a fair question. I really don't know either. Fuzz asked a similar question and I cited equalization payments above, but that's only one thing. Probably don't need to chant "sovereignty" to work that out.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote