Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #81
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
It's the terrain layer superimposed on the satellite image. Not sure why it's toggled on in that link but there's a button to turn it off in the bottom corner.
So not stink lines then? Huh.

I did consider it being terrain, but they didn't look to match anything.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #82
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
I have zero problems with that interchange short of the speed limits... There are parts that feel like you could easily be going 100 safely, and it's set at 60.
That and insufficient banking of the ramp from Glenmore WB to Stoney Tr SB are really my only proper gripes with it too, otherwise it is a beautiful piece of infrastructure and I find it quite easy to figure out. I mean, maybe the signage for traffic heading westbound on Glenmore could be better as there are still way too many people who don’t know what lane they’re supposed to be in until they’re swerving across two lanes to get to it.

Where speed is concerned, if you want to make it 80 KM/H to align with the fact that Glenmore is an Urban Expressway and not an Urban Freeway, fine, make it 80 KM/H, but this 60 KM/H business is stupid.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #83
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So not stink lines then? Huh.

I did consider it being terrain, but they didn't look to match anything.
Yeah it's an interchange that doesn't really look impressive on paper, but to build what they did within the space constraints is very impressive when driving it. Not too much credit though because E=NG
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #84
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's the terrain layer superimposed on the satellite image. Not sure why it's toggled on in that link but there's a button to turn it off in the bottom corner.
Stink lines are set "on" by default in Google Maps for the whole city of Edmonton.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #85
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, massive Deerfoot project begins next fall that could realistically be the biggest 4-year traffic headache in the city's history depending on how it's staged. Widening to 4 lanes between 17 Ave and Airport Trail, Ivor Strong twinning, Anderson/Bottow Bottom pseudo-rebuild, Glenmore bridge twinning, 17 Ave interchange rebuild, Memorial rebuild. P3 project to be delivered like a ring road leg.
That can't start a minute too soon, this is desperately needed. And since it won't affect me (traffic headaches) one iota for a change I say bring it on.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #86
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That can't start a minute too soon, this is desperately needed. And since it won't affect me (traffic headaches) one iota for a change I say bring it on.
Will directly affect me and I can also say bring it on, lol. Long overdue.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #87
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This should be your time to shine. We need threads like this so people like you who actually know what the hell they’re talking about can explain why things are done the way they are.

Am I really on that many people's ignore lists?

Granted it's been a few years but I like to think I know what I'm talking about, lol

Last edited by btimbit; 10-03-2021 at 08:04 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #88
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great stuff here. That sort of sidewalk treatment would be infinitely better in the winter to make it easier to keep it clear of snow.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #89
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

9 Ave in Inglewood and 17 Ave SW should absolutely have continuous sidewalks, especially when a street intersecting has a stop sign and not a light-controlled four-way intersection. Same with Stephen Ave, too, except Stephen Ave should be at every intersection while it's a pedestrian corridor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Am I really on that many people's ignore lists?

Granted it's been a few years but I like to think I know what I'm talking about, lol
You are both "the people who know what they're talking about" but Acey was suggesting he might sit the thread out. There was more than one knowledgable person who knew what they were talking about in the rich people / taxes thread too.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-03-2021 at 12:13 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #90
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You are both "the people who know what they're talking about" but Acey was suggesting he might sit the thread out. There was more than one knowledgable person who knew what they were talking about in the rich people / taxes thread too.
Oh don't worry I was just being a smartass
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #91
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

You don't see many road designers in online conversations because it's incredibly tiring to debate with people who have driven long enough to feel they know how road design works better than most. The amount of time and effort it would take to explain and counter arguments about all the details behind a decision is enough that I don't think many want to try. I've deleted my fair share of draft posts because they were just getting too long and detailed to bother.

There's also the fact that most transportation projects these days have a pretty tight line of communications that they want maintained, so publicly posting about projects outside of that could be troublesome for that person's employer or client. I've been identified by the projects I posted online about before, so I'm pretty cautious about what I talk about online now.

I'm glad Acey has been so passionate about this topic because as far as I can tell, he isn't attached to any particular project or client. He doesn't have to worry about those things. I WANT more people to be explaining the nuances of road design, to help people understand why decisions are made. I don't like that the transportation industry is afraid to talk because of the chance of angering a client, or even additional liability. I don't like that certain municipalities are afraid to share safety reviews of their roads because it opens them up to lawsuits. We should be more transparent about this stuff.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #92
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Why is the merge from SB Crow to EB Bow so awful? It seems so short and comes up quick at a sharp angle after a very slow exit loop.

Every time I drive there it seems there are cars flying down bow doing 80+ and a driver in front of me who can’t get up to speed and we all end up slamming on the brakes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #93
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why is the merge from SB Crow to EB Bow so awful? It seems so short and comes up quick at a sharp angle after a very slow exit loop.

Every time I drive there it seems there are cars flying down bow doing 80+ and a driver in front of me who can’t get up to speed and we all end up slamming on the brakes.
Drivers who are going 70 at the point of merging after long ass on-ramps onto Deerfoot need to have their licenses taken away.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #94
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The part that bothers me the most about that merge is that I sometimes find it tough to judge which lane a vehicle is in coming down the hill on Bow Trail because of the slight bend in the road.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #95
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You don't see many road designers in online conversations because it's incredibly tiring to debate with people who have driven long enough to feel they know how road design works better than most. The amount of time and effort it would take to explain and counter arguments about all the details behind a decision is enough that I don't think many want to try. I've deleted my fair share of draft posts because they were just getting too long and detailed to bother.

There's also the fact that most transportation projects these days have a pretty tight line of communications that they want maintained, so publicly posting about projects outside of that could be troublesome for that person's employer or client. I've been identified by the projects I posted online about before, so I'm pretty cautious about what I talk about online now.

I'm glad Acey has been so passionate about this topic because as far as I can tell, he isn't attached to any particular project or client. He doesn't have to worry about those things. I WANT more people to be explaining the nuances of road design, to help people understand why decisions are made. I don't like that the transportation industry is afraid to talk because of the chance of angering a client, or even additional liability. I don't like that certain municipalities are afraid to share safety reviews of their roads because it opens them up to lawsuits. We should be more transparent about this stuff.
So Cloverleafs forever!!!
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #96
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is the road designers who concocted the 69th St & Stoney Trail interchange need to be banned from the industry and the internet so they can share their knowledge with no other human beings. Plans for that intersection should only be maintained as a testament to man's stupidity.

Sure, Acey provided a rationale but I'm not buying it. It is literally the worst set of intersections imaginable. There is so much development to come on the west, and on day 1 it is grossly underbuilt and congested.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #97
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Drivers who are going 70 at the point of merging after long ass on-ramps onto Deerfoot need to have their licenses taken away.
I would guess it's because there are 70kph limit signs a the beginning of the ramp so people think they can't go faster than that until they're actually on Deerfoot. I mean, I can't think of any other reason why so many people do it anyway.

It's especially annoying because they all get over a lane or two, or three, immediately no matter how long until the right lane ends.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #98
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
And you got that from my post how exactly?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #99
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And you got that from my post how exactly?
Oh I got nothing from your post. I was just adding my own comment. Feel blessed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #100
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I got nothing from your post. I was just adding my own comment. Feel blessed.

I know you weren't trying to burn him but funny how that came across.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post: