Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #321
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Heat and thermal expansion, curbs got longer, had nowhere to go but up or out. Same thing happened in my area, the spots that did were usually in the middle between two side roads or long curb lengths.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:33 AM   #322
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Years ago the City was talking about expropriating houses in Highwood to make way for a more gentle curve between McKnight & John Laurie. I have not heard anything in quite sometime.

Does anybody know anything about the McKnight/John Laurie area?

Also, does McKnight, Deerfoot to John Laurie make sense for a mini GE5 type of upgrade?

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:48 AM   #323
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Years ago the City was talking about expropriating houses in Highwood to make way for a more gentle curve between McKnight & John Laurie. I have not heard anything in quite sometime.

Does anybody know anything about the McKnight/John Laurie area?

Also, does McKnight, Deerfoot to John Laurie make sense for a mini GE5 type of upgrade?
Both of those things were studied a decade ago.

Doesn’t seem like there is much push on those right now.

At this point, I don’t know if they will ever get done, and they might not need to get done. Should probably solve that problem in a different way.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:41 PM   #324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure they need to do anything. When it backs up, it's from the 4th st lights. Given that traffic volume, I don't really know what would be improved, other than a smoother curve. Plus, if you can't take it at 60, should you even be driving?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #325
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure they need to do anything. When it backs up, it's from the 4th st lights. Given that traffic volume, I don't really know what would be improved, other than a smoother curve. Plus, if you can't take it at 60, should you even be driving?
I don't drive through there very much anymore but in the past I did quite frequently and at least once a week I saw someone had hit the concrete divider in the outside lane going from John Laurie onto McKnight. The best were the ones where they hit it so hard that they would teeter on top of the barrier.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2023, 05:18 PM   #326
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They've been progressively forcing all of North Haven over to 14th, and cutting them off from McKnight. Honestly don't live there so I'm presuming to speak for people I don't even know, but to me just completely shutting down access to McKnight and widening the corner to the NW seems more sensible than tearing down Highwood houses to widen the corner to the SE.

I've got to imagine during times of congestion traffic counts are pretty low because you can't get through anyways and when not congested the time to go around would be pretty low.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 05:37 PM   #327
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
They've been progressively forcing all of North Haven over to 14th, and cutting them off from McKnight. Honestly don't live there so I'm presuming to speak for people I don't even know, but to me just completely shutting down access to McKnight and widening the corner to the NW seems more sensible than tearing down Highwood houses to widen the corner to the SE.

I've got to imagine during times of congestion traffic counts are pretty low because you can't get through anyways and when not congested the time to go around would be pretty low.
If they want to be a haven then limited access comes with the territory.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #328
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
They can take my McKnight racetrack out of my cold dead hands!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM   #329
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mighty kind of the City to give us 1 week of free flowing traffic on 9th Ave before it immediately added a new 2 lane closure.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:09 AM   #330
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city has opened public engagement on the Saree/Bow Trail interchange. Taking in feedback until April 29th.

https://engage.calgary.ca/SarceeBowStudy
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:33 AM   #331
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for some opinions.

The area by the farmer's market seems to be pretty attractive with all the housing they're building up, but one thing I can't get over is how everything funnels into the Bowfort Rd. roundabout to get to 16th Ave. It sounds like it'd be a bit of a nightmare.

When the area is built up, do you think this concern is valid? Have the city designers planned for redeveloping the mobile home park to medium density as well as all the townhomes/small condos and such around it?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:23 AM   #332
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The city has opened public engagement on the Saree/Bow Trail interchange. Taking in feedback until April 29th.

https://engage.calgary.ca/SarceeBowStudy
Really weird how much emphasis they're placing on the temporary Strathcona access road here. It's always been labeled as temporary, and I don't think the city will want to give anyone the indication they might keep it if an interchange is built. Hopefully the Rocky Ridge access to Crowchild saga is still top of mind with city staff right now.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #333
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
They can take my McKnight racetrack out of my cold dead hands!

Exactly......it was a favorite set of corners for my buddy's growing up near there.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 01:23 PM   #334
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

The area by the farmer's market seems to be pretty attractive with all the housing they're building up, but one thing I can't get over is how everything funnels into the Bowfort Rd. roundabout to get to 16th Ave. It sounds like it'd be a bit of a nightmare.

When the area is built up, do you think this concern is valid? Have the city designers planned for redeveloping the mobile home park to medium density as well as all the townhomes/small condos and such around it?
May not be as bad as it would seem. There are only three entrances/exits to the circle rather than 4. Leaving Greenwhich the only traffic that would affect you is coming up from Bowness. Entering Greenwhich the only traffic would be Greenwhich exiting vehicles that are going all the way around and into Bowness. Both seem likely to be light traffic movements.

This applies to the second circle, at the entrance into Greenwhich itself. The other circle up near the gas stations is certainly busier.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:29 PM   #335
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The city LOVES to build communities with only 1 access road for whatever reason, especially on the west side. See Crestmont, Valley Ridge, Discovery Ridge, and that whatever name it is called at the end of Nose Hill Dr past Home Depot...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 03:16 PM   #336
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Using Bowness Road might be a better idea. It's not very busy during rush hour.

Regardless what kind of degenerate are you, using a car to get around.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:16 PM   #337
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So they started work on the Calf Robe bridge by Bow Bottom. Does anyone know where I can see the plans for the change? Curious what the final alignment is going to look like.

They have shifted traffic to the north side of the bridge and have demoed a lane off the bridge already.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 04:24 PM   #338
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're talking about the Ivor Strong bridge. Calf Robe bridge is further north, by Bonnybrook / Peigan Trail.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 05:04 PM   #339
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voiced my displeasure about the pothole condition of West Campus Blvd in the gear grinder thread or maybe elsewhere recently and I'm happy to say that some contractors were out there the other week filling in the potholes. It is still far from good and some holes remain but at least it doesn't look like a warzone anymore. It is a temporary solution and many of the patches will probably separate in short order but I'll give them a pass for now. I'm still hoping it is on the list for repaving because it desperately needs that.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 05:51 PM   #340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see paving planning here:

https://maps.calgary.ca/RoadwayActivities/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote