Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #241
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think that 9th Ave. issue is here to stay until the end of the year. Just a gong show in the mornings, affecting basically anyone coming in from the SW/W/NW part of the city.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #242
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 left hand lanes on 5ave from about 5th st to 2nd st have been shut off for at least couple weeks I think.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #243
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well it was closed today. Mind you there wasn’t anything actually going on I could see. Just pylons.
I'm quite literally looking out a west-facing window up 5th Ave, and I haven't the foggiest idea WTF you're talking about. Maybe you mean this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
2 left hand lanes on 5ave from about 5th st to 2nd st have been shut off for at least couple weeks I think.
... which isn't "right at the entrance to the downtown core".

The kind of grievance espoused by Ducay is nothing but ignorant, petulant whining. If you stagger roads and utilities upgrades projects it'll take twice as long to get them done, in which case people bitch, bitch, bitch. If you have them concurrent? Bitch, bitch, bitch... When would you prefer this work to be done? I know the answer—at a time and manner in which you are never, ever personally inconvenienced—but this is the real world and it doesn't work that way. In reality there is no time, no phasing, that would satisfy many people, so they plod ahead and get the bloody job done. Boo-hoo, deal with it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #244
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We must have the most inept, useless roads group in the developed world. It’s unbelievable how long stuff takes here and how very few projects see 24/7 activity, which is the norm in major US cities.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #245
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
We must have the most inept, useless roads group in the developed world. It’s unbelievable how long stuff takes here and how very few projects see 24/7 activity, which is the norm in major US cities.
A lot of this is because contractors know they can milk the hell out of projects, what the City does a really bad job of doing is staying on them and having people with the knowledge to recognize it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #246
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
This part mystifies me as well, at least on the major projects. Or even run 12 hour shifts, 7 days/week.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #247
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'm quite literally looking out a west-facing window up 5th Ave, and I haven't the foggiest idea WTF you're talking about. Maybe you mean this:

The kind of grievance espoused by Ducay is nothing but ignorant, petulant whining. If you stagger roads and utilities upgrades projects it'll take twice as long to get them done, in which case people bitch, bitch, bitch. If you have them concurrent? Bitch, bitch, bitch... When would you prefer this work to be done? I know the answer—at a time and manner in which you are never, ever personally inconvenienced—but this is the real world and it doesn't work that way. In reality there is no time, no phasing, that would satisfy many people, so they plod ahead and get the bloody job done. Boo-hoo, deal with it.
It sure was closed during the commute this morning at 7:30. 2 lanes on the north side.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #248
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Every other major city with a dedicated planning function is generally able to better schedule and complete these works. As noted by a bunch of other posters this is different from the emergency water main and has been ongoing for over a week. Love all the adjectives you've used but constricting your core access at 50% of the main thoroughfares is just bad design and planning. Lazy work by the bureaucrats in city hall, nothing more.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #249
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

O wise sage infrastructure project manager, please enlighten us all: how would you plan it? Please, share all this knowledge of how "every other major city" does it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #250
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

Every other major city with a dedicated planning function is generally able to better schedule and complete these works. As noted by a bunch of other posters this is different from the emergency water main and has been ongoing for over a week. Love all the adjectives you've used but constricting your core access at 50% of the main thoroughfares is just bad design and planning. Lazy work by the bureaucrats in city hall, nothing more.
Have a lot of experience in every other major city, do you?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:16 PM   #251
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention, how many of those cities have restrictions like "This has to happen before the ground freezes"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #252
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Roads Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not to mention, how many of those cities have restrictions like "This has to happen before the ground freezes"

All the more reason to make hay while the sun is shining.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #253
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Calgary roads are maintained better than any other city in Alberta so I would never gripe about the road conditions. However I feel road construction projects are brutally slow in this city. I am stunned that the McKnight Boulevard pedestrian bridge rehabilitation costs $1.8 million. It's a small and very basic pedestrian bridge not to mention the fact that it took from April to October.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #254
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think Calgary roads are maintained better than any other city in Alberta so I would never gripe about the road conditions. However I feel road construction projects are brutally slow in this city. I am stunned that the McKnight Boulevard pedestrian bridge rehabilitation costs $1.8 million. It's a small and very basic pedestrian bridge not to mention the fact that it took from April to October.
It cost that much becuase they took so long to do it! For what it is, it has been so slow. And they managed to mix blue, green and poop brown into what might be the ugliest colour combination in the city.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It cost that much becuase they took so long to do it! For what it is, it has been so slow. And they managed to mix blue, green and poop brown into what might be the ugliest colour combination in the city.
Yeah I don't understand the multi-colors at all. Just pick one color and go with it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #256
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think Calgary roads are maintained better than any other city in Alberta so I would never gripe about the road conditions.
Anyone who has driven in Edmonton should be 100% in agreement here. Holy hell, it's like Winnipeg with freeways.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #257
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 9th Ave two-lane closure has been absolutely frustrating. Coming down from Bow Trail in the morning, it's bad. A few times even backed up all the way to Westbrook Mall. If this is gonna be anything like the 5th Street / 12 Ave SW water main change they did earlier this year, which took AGES.... I'm gonna be pissed. I'm already re-routing through Sunalta, and now everyone is doing that too, and now both areas are plugged up.

The amount of construction right now in YYC is frustrating. I like the improvements and support them, but geezus - can't they space them out across a calendar?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That 9th Ave two-lane closure has been absolutely frustrating. Coming down from Bow Trail in the morning, it's bad. A few times even backed up all the way to Westbrook Mall. If this is gonna be anything like the 5th Street / 12 Ave SW water main change they did earlier this year, which took AGES.... I'm gonna be pissed. I'm already re-routing through Sunalta, and now everyone is doing that too, and now both areas are plugged up.

The amount of construction right now in YYC is frustrating. I like the improvements and support them, but geezus - can't they space them out across a calendar?
You could take the LRT. Sounds like you are starting near it anyway.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #259
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could take the LRT. Sounds like you are starting near it anyway.
Definitely a fair point. I've got a free parking spot at work in the Beltline and often have to run to client sites though, so I do need my vehicle daily.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Definitely a fair point. I've got a free parking spot at work in the Beltline and often have to run to client sites though, so I do need my vehicle daily.
Well if OTHER people took the LRT, they wouldn't be in your way. So encouraging transit its the way out of your issue. As a cyclist, this is my strategy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: