Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #1861
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Watched Fury last night.

So, so bad, just a terrible movie. The last fight in the end is so unrealistic, dumb and overly dramatic that I can hardly understand how that got made. Let's not even talk about the scene in the village with the German women, I haven't cringed that hard and often at a movie in a long time.

This scene is the only somewhat worthwhile thing about the film. (And there's just so many questions...) You can watch this and skip the rest.
One thing I found odd about Fury was the language, they swore a lot, and it seemed out of place for a movie set in the 40's. The whole movie was kinda hard to get into.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #1862
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
One thing I found odd about Fury was the language, they swore a lot, and it seemed out of place for a movie set in the 40's. The whole movie was kinda hard to get into.
You don't think soldiers in WW2 likely used horrible language constantly?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #1863
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Kinda reminds me of the Deadwood creator taking about language on the show. They didn’t talk like that at all. Nobody said ########## that much back then. But if time period accurate swear words we’re used, stuff like tarnation, that modern viewers see as so tame, it wouldn’t have the desired effect.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #1864
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh. Fury was based on a series of stories told by tanker WWII vets. I read a story when it came out about a 90 year old vet blowing the minds of the researchers with some of the craziness, and the overall attitude of the guys driving the tanks.

Maybe the stories grew in the minds of the guys telling them, or they were purposefully making things sound crazier than they were, I don't know.

From what I understand, they put together multiple stories to make it more of an action film. So it wasn't non-stop chaos, IRL there would have been uneventful or downtime along with it.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #1865
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No not really, different times. People were more reserved. However I did just read a blurb that ww2 was when f$%k became very common in the military. So maybe it is close to accurate.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #1866
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Fury. Different strokes I suppose. But I was thoroughly entertained.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #1867
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I loved Fury. Different strokes I suppose. But I was thoroughly entertained.
Yea, I liked it as well. Brad Pitt was great.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #1868
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Ended up watching "Taps" this afternoon. Military cadets take extreme measures to insure the future of their academy when its existence is threatened by local condo developers. An underrated movie that is worth watching

The scene where Tom Cruise/Shawn loses it and fires away at the military, saying "It's beautiful man!"

Old 04-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #1869
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Ended up watching "Taps" this afternoon. Military cadets take extreme measures to insure the future of their academy when its existence is threatened by local condo developers. An underrated movie that is worth watching

The scene where Tom Cruise/Shawn loses it and fires away at the military, saying "It's beautiful man!"

One of my all time favourites.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #1870
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^^
just made me think about another classic movie that needs to be watched again.

time to again watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #1871
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Taps was an incredible movie for me, and one of those 80's super cast movies.

I still remember Cruise's unhinged hardcore character who just got more frightening as things went along.

The scene with the students in the warehouse sent chills through me at the time.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #1872
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 04-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #1873
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Watched Machine Gun McCain. From like 1970, John Cassavetes heist film. Movies sure were weird back then, the entire thing is barely has a single coherent plot point throughout the entire film.

Colombo is in it though so that’s cool. And there’s some machine gun action that happens. And holy guacamole do they love techniscope. Would totally recommend, crappy 70s Italian movie glory.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #1874
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that's really stark to me about 70's movies and earlier is just how much more space there is in them. Scenes are definitely given more time to breath in general. I know we have no attention span now, but I'd like to see more of that come back.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #1875
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No not really, different times. People were more reserved. However I did just read a blurb that ww2 was when f$%k became very common in the military. So maybe it is close to accurate.
I would question how much you know about the military.

Soldiers never change, this is the exact type of #### that would happen now, or 90's or 70's.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 04-28-2020 at 10:14 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #1876
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Funny thing, before I went in as a teenager, I didn't swear that much, even in high school. I had been raised to be better then that.

I because prodigious at swearing by the time I finished my basic training and went through "Infantry school". In fact I became so good at it, that I was using swearing without even thinking about it. I just liberally sprinkled it in on everything I did. I remember I went to a family dinner and half way through telling a story, I looked around the table and to a person my three sisters and my mom and dad (Who I already was in the rocky relationship stage) had their jaws on the floor. I had weaved my tale with so many S and F and M bombs that I'm sure every third word was something that wasn't needed.

It ramped way up when I went and took my JLC, and then came back and became a basic training instructor and formed a opposser squad.

(That was the most fun I ever had by the way. We went to Crown Surplus and bought these cammo coveralls. Bought white T-Shirts and died blue stripes into them and bought these black berets and became an elite Naval Infantry Unit from Kaplakastan.) anyways, I upped the swearing game there.

When I left the Military it was like quitting smoking where you had to self filter the casual swears out of the conversation.

Anyways, Swearing is a long and honorable tradition in the Armed Forces, and you can bet that those farm boys, and boys with low educations in WW2, were most excellent at putting together strings of swearing. Even an officer and a gentlemen when they got into the field or battle were dropping succinct motivating Bombs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #1877
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went through basic in 89, and yes I am well versed in the use of the word. I did 11 years and have been working with military everyday since. Haha. I just thought it wasn't quite so prolific back then.

I too have had a hard time getting it out of my vocabulary.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #1878
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Huh. Fury was based on a series of stories told by tanker WWII vets. I read a story when it came out about a 90 year old vet blowing the minds of the researchers with some of the craziness, and the overall attitude of the guys driving the tanks.

Maybe the stories grew in the minds of the guys telling them, or they were purposefully making things sound crazier than they were, I don't know.

From what I understand, they put together multiple stories to make it more of an action film. So it wasn't non-stop chaos, IRL there would have been uneventful or downtime along with it.
"Based on" = with luck there's maybe 5% of the original story left in the script before they even start shooting the thing. Typically there's some maybe names, places and vague scenarios left. Everything else is dramatization, starting with things like who exactly is fighting who, where, with what and in what circumstances.

I would bet basically the only thing about that last fight that was true to life was that there was a tank and some Germans

That's without taking into account how much BS there was in the original stories
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #1879
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing that's really stark to me about 70's movies and earlier is just how much more space there is in them. Scenes are definitely given more time to breath in general. I know we have no attention span now, but I'd like to see more of that come back.
Mallick would never made a movie if he started today

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #1880
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that was a trailer? So disjointed? lol
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote