Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #941
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Also, if you're not a real cinephile, it's not a movie for you. So much of that film is about other films or the film industry and culture. It's a bit of a Tarantino pet project rather than a truly universally accessible film.
God, Tarantino makes such excreble garbage made especially worse by posts like this. "You have to be a real cinephile to enjoy a mass market Tarantino release." Okay.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #942
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m not a cinephile and I loved Once Upon a Time. It might be my favourite Tarantino movie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #943
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
God, Tarantino makes such excreble garbage made especially worse by posts like this. "You have to be a real cinephile to enjoy a mass market Tarantino release." Okay.

I won't put words in the CPF's mouth, but I think you might have misread "real" here. I assumed he meant it like, you have to be a really big cinephile to enjoy his movies, not in the condescending tone that it could also be taken.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #944
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I thought it was pretty solid. 3rd best movie in the series easily, although that's not exactly a high bar to clear, considering the other sequels were mostly garbage. But I think they did a good job with this one and brought it back to the series' roots. Linda Hamilton stole the show.
The movie didn't make much money on opening weekend. A Terminator movie should have made 4x what this one did. I don't think that is a telling sign about how good the movie is though. The last 3 Terminator movies did not do the franchise any favors.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #945
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Went to Terminator, Dark Fate. 6/10. I think they were trying too hard to turn it into a tough chick flick.
You mean like the first and clearly best Terminator movie?

Sarah > John Connor.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #946
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You mean like the first and clearly best Terminator movie?

Sarah > John Connor.
Absolutely. Every single John Connor character has been awful except for when he was a little snot in the second one.

It's amazing to me how the resurgence of the alt-right in the 21st century has actually regressed our views of women in action movies.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #947
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terminator 2 is probably the best overall action movie ever made. Pacing, emotional weight, story, villain, heroes, comedic touches.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #948
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Terminator 2 is probably the best overall action movie ever made. Pacing, emotional weight, story, villain, heroes, comedic touches.
Yes, Exhibit #1.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #949
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

The only movie that comes close in the last decade IMO is Mad Max Fury Road
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #950
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The only movie that comes close in the last decade IMO is Mad Max Fury Road
Absolutely. Hey, they both minimized CGI and went for mostly practical effects. Coincidence?
Old 11-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #951
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yes, Exhibit #1.

Why did it take like 5 seconds for Edward Furlong to come out of the elevator. T2 feels a bit dated now. Aliens on the other hand will always be timeless.
and seriously, who doesn't like Pulp Fiction?

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 11-04-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #952
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched Peanut Butter Falcon over the weekend:

I really wanted to like this film and I did. I think positive films are difficult to write without quickly veering into straight up sentimentality, it's such a tricky balance. And for me, I've been getting a little tired of the anti-hero thing so I've been seeking out films like this. They're hard to find done well.

Ever since Lawless/Fury, I've wondered whether Shia Lebeouf is a good actor and now I'm in the camp that he's a talented guy. At worst, he can be more than just the Transformer guy IMO.

Anyways, with Peanut Butter Falcon this could have been one of my favorite films in recent memory but muddied by an unnecessary antagonist side plot that was tonally different from the rest of the film.

Basically the film is about a group of people seeking family, one character played exceptionally well by a down syndrome actor. The trailer pretty much spells it all out.

I don't want to spoiler anything because this is worth watching, but I understand the need for conflict or a 'bad guy'. However, with the inherent challenges of the plot/story/characters, conflict(s) was already there. To shoe horn a bad guy into it was forced and disappointing.

A solid 3/5 for me. Could've been a 5.

Last edited by sketchyt; 11-04-2019 at 04:22 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #953
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parasite was probably the best movie i have watched the past 5 years. Just don't watch it later. Finished it at 230am this morning and couldn't sleep for another hour after.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #954
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I watched Caddyshack for the first time in at least 20 years, and man it does not hold up. It's less a movie than a random collection of scenes, and Rodney Dangerfield does not translate to the 21st century. The only decent character is Murray

That's actually a movie that I'd like to see remade, but in a completely self-aware way like 21 Jump Street was
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #955
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I completely agree. Animal House and National Lampoon's Vacation still hold up (if you forget the #metoo stuff in both), but Caddyshack does not. All made around the same time from the same writers/directors (Harold Ramis). I've always thought the writing in Caddyshack was really substandard, and I never cared for it. It just never felt like a Ramis film, but I can't really place why.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #956
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Parasite was probably the best movie i have watched the past 5 years. Just don't watch it later. Finished it at 230am this morning and couldn't sleep for another hour after.
Parasite is great, though I'm a sucker for South Korean dramas / thrillers.
Bong Joon-ho is incredible (Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer, and Okja are all great).

Have you seen The Handmaiden from 2016? Chan-wook Park's work is excellent as well (Joint Security Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Thirst, and Stoker were great).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #957
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Parasite is great, though I'm a sucker for South Korean dramas / thrillers.
Bong Joon-ho is incredible (Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer, and Okja are all great).

Have you seen The Handmaiden from 2016? Chan-wook Park's work is excellent as well (Joint Security Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Thirst, and Stoker were great).
I've watched the host. The ending really messed me up for a while. Not used to something like that after so many american movies.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #958
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
^ I completely agree. Animal House and National Lampoon's Vacation still hold up (if you forget the #metoo stuff in both), but Caddyshack does not. All made around the same time from the same writers/directors (Harold Ramis). I've always thought the writing in Caddyshack was really substandard, and I never cared for it. It just never felt like a Ramis film, but I can't really place why.

It actually made me really angry I was talking to my nephew and he had watched Animal House for the first time and he literally complained about me recommending it because it was full of sexism.

Its like one of my favorite movies was blazing Saddles, which was brilliant and hilarious. But I can imagine what this generation would think about it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 AM   #959
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

This was incredible. A bonkers black comedy with dialogue in the style of Yorgos Lanthimos's The Lobster or The Killing of a Sacred Deer.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #960
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It actually made me really angry I was talking to my nephew and he had watched Animal House for the first time and he literally complained about me recommending it because it was full of sexism.

Its like one of my favorite movies was blazing Saddles, which was brilliant and hilarious. But I can imagine what this generation would think about it.
In my experience, younger generations seem to embrace films like Blazing Saddles and series like All in the Family because they aren't exploitative (like the sex romp comedies of the 70s and 80s). The message was embedded in the satire, and the bigots were the butt of the joke.

It's pretty incredible how far ahead of their time these shows were.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote