Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Friedman: Jackets testing market for Panarin

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...38149824421888

"There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CLB that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him."

Sorry if this is not allowed please delete mods. I thought this deserved its own thread since Panarin is literally the player we need. What are people prepared to give up for him?

edit:also according to Mike Russo the Flyers are gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds. He is a ufa after next year and 12 team ntc. We should go after these 2 players hard

Last edited by flamesforcup; 06-20-2018 at 10:10 AM.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett, Brouwer and rights to Stajan before he goes UFA.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
What are people prepared to give up for him?
Less than what it would take to get him.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Less than what it would take to get him.
He almost single hand-idly carried the blue Jackets to a win against Washington. We are automatically a playoff team if we add him.
Imagine him with Gaudreau
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Bennett, Brouwer and rights to Stajan before he goes UFA.
Im sure the Jackets would be ecstatic for those 2 studs in exchange for their best player
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He almost single hand-idly carried the blue Jackets to a win against Washington. We are automatically a playoff team if we add him.
Imagine him with Gaudreau
I'm just saying fans and members here would generally not be willing to pay what it takes to acquire him, especially if he'd agree to an extension. If he didn't agree to an extension and walked after we acquired him, folks would be even less impressed.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm just saying fans and members here would generally not be willing to pay what it takes to acquire him, especially if he'd agree to an extension. If he didn't agree to an extension and walked after we acquired him, folks would be even less impressed.
I think if we were to acquire him we would verbally agree with him for a contract beforehand.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think if we were to acquire him we would verbally agree with him for a contract beforehand.
This. If the BJ are willing to deal him because he does not want to talk contract that is a big red flag.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Unless he wants out of the blue jackets specifically, his agent says he doesn't want to discuss an extension "at this time". That is why the Blue Jackets are exploring trading him and probably unlikely he would agree to a contract before a trade (again unless he wants away from the BJs specifically)

Like I said in the trade rumor thread, you have to approach this as if you are acquiring a rental, not a core piece that will be around for some time. If necessary you give something conditional to the Jackets in the case he does re-sign.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's a sign and trade, this would presumably involve Sam Bennett plus one of Fox or Valimaki. Ain't cheap. As for Simmonds, that has "bad UFA contract" written all over it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panarin would be a great addition to the Flames. I imagine our PP would improve immensely with a guy like that.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If it's a sign and trade, this would presumably involve Sam Bennett plus one of Fox or Valimaki. Ain't cheap. As for Simmonds, that has "bad UFA contract" written all over it.
If its a sign and trade i think it would take more than that. Imagine what you would want for Gaudreau
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he wants to see how Columbus progresses before deciding on re-signing with the team. Perhaps he isn't confident in the direction of the team and would rather go somewhere with a stronger chance of contending.

Maybe he wants to see where the salary cap goes next year. It's going up to about $84M this year, what if it makes another big jump next year? He could potentially earn a little more by waiting a year.

Maybe his reluctance has the team worried about their chances to keep him. They could get a good return for him, so if he is going to be hard to sign for a contract that works with the team, maybe they're better off shipping him out? Do it now while they can still get something for him that helps them continue to build the team now and later.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
...Maybe he wants to see where the salary cap goes next year. It's going up to about $84M this year, what if it makes another big jump next year? He could potentially earn a little more by waiting a year...
No, it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Loooks like the 2018-2019 Salary Cap is expected to be $79 to $80 million according to TSN this morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #15
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see this play out, but it could very well be Panarin asking for a trade, without actually asking for a trade. To say he will only talk about an extension in the Fall makes me believe this is a ploy to move on.

I would bet that if a team that Panarin prefers expresses interest, he would probably end up negotiating an extension. This will effectively provide him with a NTC to some effect. It I am reading this right, then that is a pretty smart (though underhanded) move on his part. There may be another reason for not negotiating an extension with Columbus, so who really knows. Until more gets leaked out, we don't really have any idea other than simply guessing.

I would love him on the Flames, and without question he is the most talented player available this offseason thus far. I am not sure it would take draft picks to get him either, as Columbus is in a 'win-now' mode.

How much of an impact would he have in Calgary?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Panarin
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik

I would bet that he would get that 2nd line going - Bennett and Jankowski need a guy who is experienced. I think it would balance out the lines quite nicely. Falls into the Flames' age group. As a huge bonus, he is a RHS and the Flames would probably love to have that on the PP.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #16
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It will be interesting to see this play out, but it could very well be Panarin asking for a trade, without actually asking for a trade. To say he will only talk about an extension in the Fall makes me believe this is a ploy to move on.
That seems like a strange way to do it. Just ask for a trade and force the BJs hand. Or be upfront that you will not consider re-signing with the BJs.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Agreed on Simmonds. Love the player so much but if I had to guess the next Ladd style drop off its him.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If its a sign and trade i think it would take more than that. Imagine what you would want for Gaudreau
I agree, I'm just saying I think that's what it would be based around if it were the Flames involved. I do think Gaudreau has higher value that Panarin in general, and more so here where Panarin has put some pressure on the BJs to trade him.

But the point is, if you're crafting a trade proposal here, it's going to cost a lot - not Bennett plus odds and ends and a cap dump like Brouwer. Not even close.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #19
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That seems like a strange way to do it. Just ask for a trade and force the BJs hand. Or be upfront that you will not consider re-signing with the BJs.

It makes sense only if Panarin doesn't want the backlash that comes from players openly asking for a trade. This way, after Columbus trades him, he would be able to hold his hands up and say: "I didn't really want to leave..". It is much more palatable for a fanbase to be left unsure of the motivations.

I do agree that asking for a trade should be the way to conduct yourself if that is what you want, however.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I would bet that if a team that Panarin prefers expresses interest, he would probably end up negotiating an extension. This will effectively provide him with a NTC to some effect. It I am reading this right, then that is a pretty smart (though underhanded) move on his part. There may be another reason for not negotiating an extension with Columbus, so who really knows. Until more gets leaked out, we don't really have any idea other than simply guessing.

I would love him on the Flames, and without question he is the most talented player available this offseason thus far. I am not sure it would take draft picks to get him either, as Columbus is in a 'win-now' mode...
I am betting this is precisely how things will play out: CBJ will float trade offers and will ultimately move him to a team with an extension in place, effectively giving him the (limited) choice of his next destination. This is the only way the Blue Jackets recoup a decent return on the player—otherwise, there is simply no sense in trading him.

Artemi Panarin chose his destination when he arrived in the NHL. It seems abundantly clear that that choice is a priority for him. I do wonder if the Flames might be able to get themselves into this conversation, since they were reportedly one of the four teams (along with Chicago, Toronto, Pittsburgh) who were negotiating with Panarin to make the move from the KHL to the NHL in the first place. That familiarity and the Flames's cap situation may play into their favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: