Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #101
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Which is our second line? Which is our first line? Hopefully the Sens can't figure out the matchup either and one of the lines breaks loose.
NHL.com is reporting that our toplines likely will be

Colborne-Monahan-Hudler
Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik

So all the "Play Bennett at centre!d!:-)) !" guys are being thrown a bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #102
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bennett gets going tonight paired with Johnny.

Feeling like the Flames get the win tonight and put together a nice streak.

I remember in 05/06 the Flsmes stumbled out of the gate and looked so-so. Regehr was injured and once he made his return the Flames went on an 8 game winning streak and it paced them to win the division. Hopefully Brodie's return sparks a similar result
Old 10-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #103
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go flames go
Let's take some steps in the right direction, please.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #104
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I blame the system, but I think the coaching staff is capable of fixing it. The stretch game needs to either be done away with or adjusted to add more puck support in the neutral zone and improve coverage in the defensive zone. In other words, we can't have more than one forward out of position during a stretch and the other two forwards need to be in defensive positions in the event the stretch fails. Right now both wingers attempt a flank and one of them has to get possession or else the Flames are outnumbered going the other way. Failure to gain possession is happening 80% of the time thus far this season. If the Flames need to play the trap, or the modern version of the trap (1-3-1) then so be it. But it remains to be seen if Hartley & Co. has the humility to see that this system which worked to great effect last season is no longer viable. I assume that he has the experience to both see the flaws and also the tact to adapt. An experienced coach would also know that abandoning the system wholesale is the worst thing you can do, especially since the players already feel lost. So it will need to be a transition that could take a while before it shows results. That's the scary thing about being ten games into the season, you simply don't have that kind of time.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #105
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Last year the Flames played a smart game where they would angle opposing shots to the near side and let the shooter have the space to take a shot down low or from way outside, the places where less than 40% of goals are scored. Now they try to stop every shot and in effect make huge defensive errors.

If they would get back to allowing shots but forcing them to the outside I bet we'd start winning again. The team sucked at possession last year but was really smart about being patient and letting the opposition only take low quality chances hence why the corsi did not indicate our success. Now we are letting 3 or 4 shots point blank per scoring chance at the goalie without any coverage whatsoever, Carey Price will lose with that kind of coverage. That play of putting the stick right at the place where the shooters stick would be for an optimal shot is no longer used, they all forget that part of the game for some reason and they lost all of their confidence. They panic when the opposition has the puck as opposed to being relaxed and forcing low quality chances.

Last edited by AcGold; 10-28-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #106
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan;5480382.

[B
Screw all the negativity in this thread.[/B]

Flames shut down the Sens and score a couple on the power play to win 2-0. Hiller with the shutout with 25 saves.

You can all blame me if it doesn't turn out this way instead of ripping the team at every opportunity.
Says the man who changed his name to Panthers
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #107
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
4 more games or 6 more days before the expiry of Raymond's waiver exemption.
Just because I am in a bad mood I want to point out that because of his contract, Raymond will never be subject to a waiver claim for the duration of his Flames career.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying that Brodie needs to come in and be our saviour, I'm just saying that Brodie really needs to come in and be our saviour.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #109
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Even with how the season has started, I still look at the balance of talent in that lineup and think to myself "huh, not too shabby."
Something has to give at some point. The team really is too good to be playing .300 hockey. We're not Columbus up in here.

The opposite goes for teams like Arizona, team's worked hard to start, but the talent isn't there to sustain it.

There just has to be some evening out. I hope it starts tonight.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #110
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't claim to know much about the Xs and Os of coaching or systems/breakouts - but it seems to me like a lot of our passes on breakouts of late have been to players coming back for the puck? There's no speed to the breakout when the returning forward has to take the pass and then circle or pivot to try and get moving forward again. Maybe the timing of the passes is just off, or the primary passes for the breakout are too well covered, leaving the defensemen to either try and carry the puck out of our zone, or revert to a less effective outlet pass to avoid forechekers?

I'm going to try and count how many passes are made from defensemen to forwards skating back through the neutral ice and towards or into our zone tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #111
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am liking the shake up of the first two lines, imho this is what is needed for us to break out of this slump were in.

If Brodie is in tonight, thank ####, I miss this guy. Hopefully pull out a W out of Ottawa and go on a streak
Old 10-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #112
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is no one discussing Wideman being scratched? Incredibly odd as Hamilton and Russell have been much worse
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #113
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Is no one discussing Wideman being scratched? Incredibly odd as Hamilton and Russell have been much worse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wideman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #114
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Dennis Wideman isn't scratched. Chris Wideman for Ottawa is scratched. No relation
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #115
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Dennis Wideman isn't scratched. Chris Wideman for Ottawa is scratched. No relation
Ok. That's much more believable. I'll dial the chicken little down to 9 from 10
Old 10-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #116
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never heard he was scratched, if Brodie play's I would have thought Smid would sit out.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #117
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are undefeated when Brodie plays this year!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #118
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully they actually go with the projected lines and no matter what, leave them intact for the rest of the week to give them a chance to create some chemistry
Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #119
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well first of all not every team will implement the 1-3-1 so the system is not useless and can still be used. When they do counter it we should obviously adapt but we don't...Secondly every coach understands all systems and the counters to them so I really don't get how Hartley doesn't adapt. Unless they just believe it's lack of proper execution is the fault. It's not like they're starting over from scratch, we're just talking about changing a zone entry strategy.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #120
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-preview.aspx?page=/data/NHL/matchups/g2_preview_2.html
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-matchups.aspx?page=/data/NHL/matchups/g2_summary_2.html
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020134

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin