Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #2181
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should've been a win with getting to the end line and then the cross box balls in the second half, but good for them to come back.

Absolutely terrible stuff from Kennedy on the goal. Unforced giveaway and then cruises back and his man with the tap in.

The best part may have been Herdman pulling him off the field right away.

That said, the big man in the back for the US made a bigger mess of Canada's goal. And got blown by Buchanan later. US definitely there for the taking.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #2182
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Canada are playing out of their skin but they're just not good enough.

Goddam you are a negative Nancy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #2183
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also how good was that ball from Calgary's own (ish) Sam Adekugbe to Davies leading to the Larin goal?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #2184
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They mentioned “rumoured” Edmonton games in Nov on the broadcast.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #2185
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Should've been a win with getting to the end line and then the cross box balls in the second half, but good for them to come back.

Absolutely terrible stuff from Kennedy on the goal. Unforced giveaway and then cruises back and his man with the tap in.

The best part may have been Herdman pulling him off the field right away.

That said, the big man in the back for the US made a bigger mess of Canada's goal. And got blown by Buchanan later. US definitely there for the taking.
I assume with how quickly the sub happened, it was already planned and just a coincidence. Could be wrong, but typically they have the guy warm up for a few after the decision is made, but that sub was immediate. Regardless, shocking turnover.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #2186
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Standings after 2 games.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #2187
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
They mentioned “rumoured” Edmonton games in Nov on the broadcast.
I guess it’s ok, but it’s not the 90s anymore when we have a couple players in Europe, but most playing in the CSL, where cold weather is going to be a major advantage because our players are much more “used” to it.

We also have a lot more individual skill than those days and utilize that more as our style of play, and that style takes a hit with a rock hard pitch, ball, every knock hurting 2x as much.

Relatively speaking the team as a whole may be still be more used to it then most countries but I would not call it a massive advantage.

Also, was Davies hurt or was it just cramp? Didn’t have the commentary on at that point.

Last edited by browna; 09-05-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #2188
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1434710807871426562
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #2189
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can you see it from his point of view, though? Canada played smart, and are starting to learn how the dark arts of the game, but from an American perspective, it seemed awfully suspicious how many Canadian players went down with cramp in the last ten minutes. If a smaller nation had done that to Canada, I don't think any of us would feel too good about it.

Canada are massive favourites at home to El Salvador on Wednesday. Anything less than a win will do serious damage to any chances of qualification. Five points from the opening three matches keeps Canada in the running, but needing results on the road against the Caribbean teams.

Has anyone heard anything about Davies' injury?
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #2190
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
If a smaller nation had done that to Canada, I don't think any of us would feel too good about it.
Welcome to Concacaf. This is not new.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #2191
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

So I am barely a fan of this sport though the women have certainly got me more interested the last decade or so.

But am I understanding what he is saying to be:

"this sucked because the other team didnt play the way we wanted them to play?"

If so...absolutely hilarious. Whining at an all time high level.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #2192
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So I am barely a fan of this sport though the women have certainly got me more interested the last decade or so.

But am I understanding what he is saying to be:

"this sucked because the other team didnt play the way we wanted them to play?"

If so...absolutely hilarious. Whining at an all time high level.
It would be like a hockey team going on the road and refusing to bring the puck out of their own zone for the entire third period.

I'm actually in favor of how Canada played for the final twenty minutes, as getting a point on the road against one of the top two teams in the group is a great achievement. However, with that said, all I read in this thread in the last game were people complaining about how Honduras pulled the same stuff when they were in the same situation this past Thursday in Toronto.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #2193
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be like a hockey team going on the road and refusing to bring the puck out of their own zone for the entire third period.

I'm actually in favor of how Canada played for the final twenty minutes, as getting a point on the road against one of the top two teams in the group is a great achievement. However, with that said, all I read in this thread in the last game were people complaining about how Honduras pulled the same stuff when they were in the same situation this past Thursday in Toronto.

Is there even one post in here complaining about how Honduras played against us?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #2194
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

El Salvador is a must win.

I'm disappointed we didnt win vs Honduras or the U.S, but at least we didnt lose those games, and the opposition didnt pick up 3 points. That would have been a disaster.

Mexico is coasting with 6 points and Jamaica is in huge trouble with 0 points after losing at home with their hodge podge of English mercenaries playing their first game together.

I dont think El Salvador are a threat to qualify and wont pick up many points away form home.

In my mind, that likely will leave Canada, U.S, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama for the 2.5 spots left (assuming Mexico doesnt falter)

Keep in mind, we havent played any matches in Central America yet, where historically, it's really, really tough to win. Honduras and the U.S both managed draws at El Salvador this window, which is the easiest Central America away game.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #2195
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which would be stupid and easily broken down by any offence.
If you can't break down defence, you can't break down defence. It's your issue, not the other team's.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #2196
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive seen and played enough soccer and just sports in general to have a pretty good idea of a team looking solely to hang on and escape with points by parking the bus and that's really not what Canada did. They has as good or better chances after the 1-1 goal than the US. US had a couple (needless foul) free kicks in range, and Canada got behind the defense and flashed the ball across goal both times. And a chance after Davies went off.

And, Canada made their subs long before the end, not the time wasting 89th minute stuff and Herdman didn't drop 10 in their own box or anything close to that.

They picked the schlub because he scored, or he was first in the yellow pages with that last name, but using the other team as the excuse, and in this case an incorrect one, is pathetic. There's nothing about the US that screams any sort of dominance at this point and Canada played a more dynamic second half IMO.

And, stats also don't lie...both teams had 2 SOT.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #2197
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's not like the US were bombing forward.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1434935217786138631

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #2198
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

El Salvador is still unbeaten (as are all teams in this little cohort of Canada, USA, Honduras, and El Salvador), so Wednesday is far from a sure thing. That being said, I feel that Canada will have some confidence after the USA draw, and El Salvador hasn't played an away match yet.

I wouldn't peg it as "must win" for game 3 of a 14 game tournament, but 5 points from 3 matches will make the wait until November a little more pleasant.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #2199
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Canada can defeat El Salvador at home 3-1 with a lame duck Floro in charge and Nik Ledgerwood getting his one and only national team goal, they can defeat El Salvador with the talent they have on the current squad.

IMO Wednesday's game is the easiest one in the round, by far. Anything less than a 2 goal win is a disappointment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #2200
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I might need to buy that black shirt.

Those kits vs the US looked SHARP.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote