Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 07:56 PM   #21
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 02:52 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Walton Goggins. I love him in everything I think I've ever seen him in, including that scene... but that looks just... bad.

It just looks so over-the-top campy. Which is not Fallout. So many people seem to utterly fail to get what the tone is supposed to be.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:14 PM   #23
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The show isn't based on Fallout 1 or 2, somehow you've failed you understand that. The tone of that trailer is exactly what Fallout is now, regardless of if you like the turn the series has taken. Hopefully you understand that and don't continue to make the same pedantic point

Last edited by BigThief; 03-20-2024 at 06:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 08:28 PM   #24
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Yea that snippet seems pretty in-line with Fallout 4 and 76
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:21 AM   #25
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I love Walton Goggins. I love him in everything I think I've ever seen him in, including that scene... but that looks just... bad.

It just looks so over-the-top campy. Which is not Fallout. So many people seem to utterly fail to get what the tone is supposed to be.
Have you played a fallout game in the last 15 years?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:26 AM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
The show isn't based on Fallout 1 or 2, somehow you've failed you understand that. The tone of that trailer is exactly what Fallout is now, regardless of if you like the turn the series has taken. Hopefully you understand that and don't continue to make the same pedantic point
"Somehow you've failed to understand the theme of the show", he says about a show where they have yet to release an episode, and we just saw the first actual footage of, period.

They could have done the tone properly, they could easily have based the show more on the atmosphere of F1 or F2. Or hell, they didn't have to follow ANY of the games in any way. They could have done something completely different and original in the universe. They didn't have to make it silly and dumb. Hell, they could have borrowed some inspiration from Silo, given the success of that show. Now that we have seen the literally one and only clip they've released, my response is, "oh, they didn't do that. They made it silly and dumb. That is disappointing, because - just like Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, which Hemi-cuda rightly point to as being in-line with what I just watched - this is almost certainly going to absolutely suck.

So yeah, if the show in fact sucks, as it appears it will, I will probably not continue to point that out after Episode 1, as that's probably as far as I'll make it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 AM   #27
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
"Somehow you've failed to understand the theme of the show", he says about a show where they have yet to release an episode, and we just saw the first actual footage of, period.

They could have done the tone properly, they could easily have based the show more on the atmosphere of F1 or F2.
So I guess the difference of opinion here is that you're a Fallout 1 and 2 fan, but didn't like 3, New Vegas, and 4? That's fine, but let's not pretend games released last century are the "proper" tone.

I entered the series with 3, and am a massive fan. I looked at 1 and 2, but they were too dated for me to enjoy. I hear they were exceptional in their day. New Vegas is probably my favorite, and it's massively campy, which is a large part of why I adore it.

If you're looking for old school hard core Fallout, you're probably in the minority, and they're targeting the majority of the fanbase more familiar with the modern games.

(FWIW, I am 100% with you regarding Fallout 76. The moment you introduce online multiplayer the interactions become toxic, and the suspension of disbelief is destroyed).
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:53 AM   #28
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Fallout 4 was awesome, it is awesome. Really wish 76 could be a solo game
Old 03-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
So I guess the difference of opinion here is that you're a Fallout 1 and 2 fan, but didn't like 3, New Vegas, and 4? That's fine, but let's not pretend games released last century are the "proper" tone.
New Vegas was great.

I basically think that what made Fallout popular - the reason that it was successful when Bethesda bought it and re-launched it to enormous hype driven by people who played the Interplay/Black Isle titles, who then enlisted a new generation of players who never knew the originals - is the tone of those originals.

Fortunately Hbomberguy (now more famous for destroying the careers of serial plagiarists) did like an hour plus long video that I agree with about 90% of so I don't really need to type out my views on this franchise at length.

Spoiler!

All of that being said, though, if they make a silly campy show and it turns out to be legitimately good - which is entirely a thing that can happen, even though it's difficult to pull off - I will still watch it even if I think they've missed an opportunity at something better. For me, that clip was not an indication that they will pull it off. It looks bad, IMO.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-21-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #30
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
New Vegas was great.

I basically think that what made Fallout popular - the reason that it was successful when Bethesda bought it and re-launched it to enormous hype driven by people who played the Interplay/Black Isle titles, who then enlisted a new generation of players who never knew the originals - is the tone of those originals.

Fortunately Hbomberguy (now more famous for destroying the careers of serial plagiarists) did like an hour plus long video that I agree with about 90% of so I don't really need to type out my views on this franchise at length.

Spoiler!

All of that being said, though, if they make a silly campy show and it turns out to be legitimately good - which is entirely a thing that can happen, even though it's difficult to pull off - I will still watch it even if I think they've missed an opportunity at something better. For me, that clip was not an indication that they will pull it off. It looks bad, IMO.
I don't think I can watch an hour of someone who titles their video "Fallout 3 is Garbage". It plainly isn't, so either they are a lunatic, or they posted an inflammatory title for the clicks.

Either way I don't want to temp the Youtube algorithm to chuck additional nonsense at me.

I'd be happy to take your Coles notes if you're willing.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:43 PM   #31
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love when folks (generally speaking) post things like: watch this hour long video and you'll know what I mean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 02:00 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's more like "I don't feel like turning this thread into yet another discussion about why BethesdaFallout sucks, and I certainly don't feel like writing a ten page memo about it; if you want to know my issues this guy talks about them". But most of the issues fall into the category of lazy writing, shallow characters, and an absolutely terrible attempt at creating "choice and consequences with moral implications" into a video game, to a point where the decisions you can make and what comes of them is essentially at the appropriate depth to be understood by a 12 year old with ADHD. If you want the short version, start the video at 41:55 and listen for the next 5 minutes or so to the part about Vault 101, Junktown and Megaton.

Anyway. I'm not forcing anyone to watch anything, even though I personally just like Harry's videos and how he thinks about things in general (I watched his entire "Why Sherlock (the show) is Garbage" video and I've never watched Sherlock, not to mention the guy made a 5 hour video on youtubers plagiarizing people recently and it was one of the most widely discussed pieces of internet content of the past year. So I certainly couldn't do a better job.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #33
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It's more like "I don't feel like turning this thread into yet another discussion about why BethesdaFallout sucks, and I certainly don't feel like writing a ten page memo about it; if you want to know my issues this guy talks about them". But most of the issues fall into the category of lazy writing, shallow characters, and an absolutely terrible attempt at creating "choice and consequences with moral implications" into a video game, to a point where the decisions you can make and what comes of them is essentially at the appropriate depth to be understood by a 12 year old with ADHD. If you want the short version, start the video at 41:55 and listen for the next 5 minutes or so to the part about Vault 101, Junktown and Megaton.

Anyway. I'm not forcing anyone to watch anything, even though I personally just like Harry's videos and how he thinks about things in general (I watched his entire "Why Sherlock (the show) is Garbage" video and I've never watched Sherlock, not to mention the guy made a 5 hour video on youtubers plagiarizing people recently and it was one of the most widely discussed pieces of internet content of the past year. So I certainly couldn't do a better job.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:15 PM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

okay
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:33 PM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Fallout 1 & 2 are for virgins.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:02 PM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played the crap out of Fallout 4. One of my favourite games of all time.

I thought the original teaser for the series looked awesome, but I'm not sold on what I have seen in clips so far for the actual show. Sometimes it takes a while for a show to come together though, so I'll stay with it for a season at least.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Sign me up for getting my v-card back then.
1-2-New Vegas stop playing.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 04:57 PM   #38
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

"back"
Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This does sound exactly like the sort of thing a Fallout 3/4/76 person would say, yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 05:52 PM   #40
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
This does sound exactly like the sort of thing a Fallout 3/4/76 person would say, yes.
Ok, virgin.

I actually agree that 1&2 are better games because of their RPG mechanics and dark post-apocalyptic world-building.

But if I was going to make a TV show I would make it more like the new games because they're more accessible and will bring more viewers. Blame capitalism.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: