Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 06:49 PM   #41
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Had to google a couple of these.. omg the KEF blades..
Yeah, to be honest, given the difference between the Blade One's, Blade Two's or even the Reference 5 Meta's (Yes I love Kef speakers and have a hard time picking anything over them) would have been a far more sensible purchase however all of these would be a once in a lifetime purchase for me and I was able to negotiate a decent deal on the Blade One's so I figured now or never.

That said audio has come such a long way in the past few years, what used to cost 20K or more now can be had for several thousand or less if one does some research and purchases by measurements and not just by reputation or completely objective reviews. For example a McIntosh MI502 using the same Hypex modules as a small company like Buckeye's or Apollon cost $4500US vs around $1000 and much less if you are willing to build one yourself. Nothing wrong with McIntosh, great brand with incredible reputation and product longevity but it shows how much value can be had if one looks around.

Either way I am excited for for the room to be finished and the speakers to arrive.

Before I had to move into the smaller room and downsize to bookshelf speakers I ran the Kef R11's (non Meta) which were fantastic and now fill in for front L&R channel duty on the HT.

As an aside if anyone is looking for incredible IEM's for a great value, these can be had from Amazon for about $30-35 at any given time and really are as good as the reviews indicate. (Not affiliated in any way, just feel with the amazing value I need to tell people)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.50534/

Last edited by Kaine; 02-16-2024 at 06:54 PM.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:52 PM   #42
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
Currently in a bedroom so limited space has forced a downsize.

Speakers: Kef R3 Meta
Subwoofers: 2X SVS SB2000 Pro
DAC: Topping D70 Pro Sabre
Amplifier: Buckeye HypexNCx500 2 Channel
Source is a PC running DIRAC Live W/ Bass Control

Setup once the media room is finished:

Same hardware but R3 Meta's will go to HT rear speaker duty and be replaced with Kef Blade One Meta's (already ordered).
Possible amplifier upgrade once Purifi's new 1ET9040BA modules become available if the Hypex modules prove insufficient for the Blades.
Possible addition of a third or fourth subwoofer if room proves to have too much bass localization.

Forgot the Headphone setup:

DAC: Topping D30Pro
Amplifier: Topping A30Pro
Headphones: Many, current favorite: Dan Clarke Expanse

I am quite cheap with everything in my life except audio, I have a problem...
I have a PB2000. Dying to know how you feel the performance and difference is with the second! Double the dB and SPL.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 PM   #43
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I have a PB2000. Dying to know how you feel the performance and difference is with the second! Double the dB and SPL.
Not really a massive difference in terms of db, technically I believe 3db is the typical increase most rooms will see by adding a second sub. The main benefits to adding additional subwoofers is to prevent bass localization. Being able to pinpoint bass sources, not ideal and much more likely with lower frequencies which is why this is often a problem with subwoofers in general. For example if you can close your eyes while listening and tell what direction the bass is coming from, multiple subwoofers can assist in preventing this. This can happen in any room but is typically more of a problem in smaller or untreated rooms.

The second benefit which seems to apply more to larger rooms, is having a more even bass response at more points in the room. Picture sitting in the middle of a sofa vs either side. Having multiple subwoofers makes it much more likely the bass response will be even across the whole sitting area. Admittedly this is much less of a concern in a "single seat" room if you have only one chair or use a program such as DIRAC or other room correction software.

I only added the second sub when moving into the bedroom as you could tell exactly where the sub was located, the second sub greatly assisted with this but it is still noticeable. I wouldn't ever purchase a second sub to assist with db, you are far better off purchasing a bigger or more powerful unit, but adding a second sub certainly assist with a more even room response in the bass frequencies.

Wow sorry for the ramble, I don't get to talk audio often with my circle of people.

Last edited by Kaine; 02-16-2024 at 09:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 09:21 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I am looking for a good pair of headphones for listening to vinyl. Any recommendations? I was thinking Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX but I know next to nothing about headphones.

My main thing is that I find over the ear headphones can feel like they are suffocating your ears, clamping your head, putting a lot of weight on the band or the top of the ears etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-16-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:39 PM   #45
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I am looking for a good pair of headphones for listening to vinyl. Any recommendations? I was thinking Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX but I know next to nothing about headphones.

My main thing is that I find over the ear headphones can feel like they are suffocating your ears, clamping your head, putting a lot of weight on the band or the top of the ears etc.
I have had a pair of HD650's for many years and I still listen to them from time to time as I find them very comfortable to wear, they don't weigh a lot and being open back your ears don't cook like some closed back headphones do. For the price of purchase, especially when on sale they are a very nice headphone.

They are tad light in the bass frequencies but this can be EQ'd if you are inclined and don't listen to ear bleeding levels the low frequency distortion when boosting with EQ won't be a problem. Any of the Sennheiser headphones in the 6XX series are very similar.

Another bonus is they are very easy to drive and while they won't pair well with a cell phone, they do not require an expensive amp to drive them so if you already have one, or would need to purchase an amp you would not need to spend much to get a very nice setup.

I still listen to mine frequently.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 10:16 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Another bonus is they are very easy to drive and while they won't pair well with a cell phone, they do not require an expensive amp to drive them so if you already have one, or would need to purchase an amp you would not need to spend much to get a very nice setup.

My amps are Accuphase and other varieties of higher end vintage gear so I think I'll be good there. I feed my computer though vintage amplifiers as well so I'm just looking to be able to plug into the headphone jack there. No need for phone compatibility although I understand Sennheiser does make a specific TRRS connector for the HD 6XX series.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just using a pair of old Shure SRH440s right now and my ears feel cooking and my head clamped. Open back is something I've never tried and I think it sounds like a great idea. I just wish Drop's shipping to Canada wasn't so painful (experienced that for mechanical keyboards).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-17-2024 at 12:36 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:33 PM   #47
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

For an open sound I like my akg k702's. They're like $250 on amazon right now. They are different but pretty well regarded. I modded the strap for added comfort, which is really easy to do and are now my most comfortable headphones
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:34 PM   #48
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
My amps are Accuphase and other varieties of higher end vintage gear so I think I'll be good there. I feel my computer though vintage amplifiers as well so I'm just looking to be able to plug into the headphone jack there. No need for phone compatibility although I understand Sennheiser does make a specific TRRS connector for the HD 6XX series.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just using a pair of old Shure SRH440s right now and my ears feel cooking and my head clamped. Open back is something I've never tried and I think it sounds like a great idea. I just wish Drop's shipping to Canada wasn't so painful (experienced that for mechanical keyboards).
I have HD 650s as well and they're great, but the clamping force was pretty high when new. It gets better though and maybe the Drop version is better in that regard.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:22 AM   #49
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have had a pair of HD650's for many years and I still listen to them from time to time as I find them very comfortable to wear, they don't weigh a lot and being open back your ears don't cook like some closed back headphones do. For the price of purchase, especially when on sale they are a very nice headphone.

They are tad light in the bass frequencies but this can be EQ'd if you are inclined and don't listen to ear bleeding levels the low frequency distortion when boosting with EQ won't be a problem. Any of the Sennheiser headphones in the 6XX series are very similar.

Kaine have you tried the hifiman ananda's? I'm curious about them as I have the 400i which are pretty good. They are $399 american right now which is expensive but they seem to be heavily discounted
Old 02-17-2024, 10:02 AM   #50
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Kaine have you tried the hifiman ananda's? I'm curious about them as I have the 400i which are pretty good. They are $399 american right now which is expensive but they seem to be heavily discounted
I have personally not tried them myself.

While certainly not the bible and should never be taken as such, I find Audio Science Review can give a decent estimation on what to expect from a product. I find their headphone/IEM reviews especially good and they have some concerns about the Anada's. As long as you purchase them from somewhere that allows returns nothing to lose by trying but keep in mind most places do not allow returns on headphones for hygienic reasons. That said that does seem like a great price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:23 PM   #51
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As an aside if anyone is looking for incredible IEM's for a great value, these can be had from Amazon for about $30-35 at any given time and really are as good as the reviews indicate. (Not affiliated in any way, just feel with the amazing value I need to tell people)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.50534/
I picked these up based on your recommendation. They are pretty nice! Best part is they actually fit me well even with the default red tips. Only downside I can find for me is I still prefer over-ear to IEM's most of the time. Still, amazing for the price and think i'll use them for travel quite a bit
Old 03-06-2024, 03:58 PM   #52
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really a massive difference in terms of db, technically I believe 3db is the typical increase most rooms will see by adding a second sub. The main benefits to adding additional subwoofers is to prevent bass localization. Being able to pinpoint bass sources, not ideal and much more likely with lower frequencies which is why this is often a problem with subwoofers in general. For example if you can close your eyes while listening and tell what direction the bass is coming from, multiple subwoofers can assist in preventing this. This can happen in any room but is typically more of a problem in smaller or untreated rooms.

The second benefit which seems to apply more to larger rooms, is having a more even bass response at more points in the room. Picture sitting in the middle of a sofa vs either side. Having multiple subwoofers makes it much more likely the bass response will be even across the whole sitting area. Admittedly this is much less of a concern in a "single seat" room if you have only one chair or use a program such as DIRAC or other room correction software.

I only added the second sub when moving into the bedroom as you could tell exactly where the sub was located, the second sub greatly assisted with this but it is still noticeable. I wouldn't ever purchase a second sub to assist with db, you are far better off purchasing a bigger or more powerful unit, but adding a second sub certainly assist with a more even room response in the bass frequencies.

Wow sorry for the ramble, I don't get to talk audio often with my circle of people.
Yeah furniture is often overlooked.

I remember chatting with someone who asked me what might be a reasonable upgrade for his set up. He looked at me weird when I said to try take away his super thick rug. A few days later, he told me that without the rug (hardwood) he did notice a significant difference where the sound almost echoed and was too airy. He agreed the sound was more muted with the almost half inch thick rug. He was buying a $1500(?) rug to replace his rug and somehow his wife signed off on the idea if she could select the rug. Weird, but he got the boss to sign off. So that's OK.

Quote:

Oops, totally forgot to reply this post after first reading it. Did you end up buying the open back Sennheiser headphones? That one is a good neutral and great value headphone. Entry level you can get in for less than $200 CAD. I do find it surprisingly a little warmer than expected of a headphone of its design, but not bad. I have the HD565. I think there's newer models of it, but the overall experience is the same. The filtering of the outside noise wasn't great which kinda meant that since it was plastic, I'd occasionally hear sounds from the headphones from my movements.

The AKG K702 recommendation, I used to have the Q701 Quincy. Really comfortable, large and wide ear pads, but the headband IIRC was surprisingly heavy. Ears on average felt cooler than the others, unless the sessions got longer, then it'd feel warmer. I wonder if this is due to the fact they were 250 ohm headphones. Dissipating heat by removing these headphones was quite fast though. Clamping power wasn't as strong as many other headphones which is a pro vs a con for open back. Quite a bit more expensive, needs a bit more juice to power. I gave it to my bro for gaming/streaming/music and he really liked it. Less low tone outside sounds could be heard, but IIRC, the occasional tap from the wire tapping something on the headphone (easy mod if needed).

In the middle, I own and also currently use a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO. Price point is in between the two other headphones. The ear pads are a bit unique in comparison to the others. It doesn't feel as much like foam. A neat suede type of ear pad material. Well build, slight edge to bass. I find the average temperatures on my ears for these are a little higher than the other two, but max temperature seems lower. I wonder if this is because this was the 80 ohm impedance version vs the AKG Q701 at 250. But I think the Sennheiser is lower? Not sure of the actual rating though I think I've read it's around 50? Very little stray outside low tone sounds and the design with padding, metal etc. means there's barely any audible noise from the headphone movements.

I mean, the point of open back headphones is not to isolate ambient noise by design. But this means less heat is trapped. However, I found that there's a basic level of ambient noise I'd like to isolate which are basic external buzzing of electronics and the sounds of the headphone materials moving I'd prefer not to hear. Beyerdynamic were a step up from the Sennheiser and IMO AKG K/Q are another step up, but all also have their own unique pros and cons. I used open back because I connect it to the TV for movies/gaming and I can still hear the kids if needed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:49 PM   #53
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yeah furniture is often overlooked.

I remember chatting with someone who asked me what might be a reasonable upgrade for his set up. He looked at me weird when I said to try take away his super thick rug. A few days later, he told me that without the rug (hardwood) he did notice a significant difference where the sound almost echoed and was too airy. He agreed the sound was more muted with the almost half inch thick rug. He was buying a $1500(?) rug to replace his rug and somehow his wife signed off on the idea if she could select the rug. Weird, but he got the boss to sign off. So that's OK.

Oops, totally forgot to reply this post after first reading it. Did you end up buying the open back Sennheiser headphones? That one is a good neutral and great value headphone. Entry level you can get in for less than $200 CAD. I do find it surprisingly a little warmer than expected of a headphone of its design, but not bad. I have the HD565. I think there's newer models of it, but the overall experience is the same. The filtering of the outside noise wasn't great which kinda meant that since it was plastic, I'd occasionally hear sounds from the headphones from my movements.

The AKG K702 recommendation, I used to have the Q701 Quincy. Really comfortable, large and wide ear pads, but the headband IIRC was surprisingly heavy. Ears on average felt cooler than the others, unless the sessions got longer, then it'd feel warmer. I wonder if this is due to the fact they were 250 ohm headphones. Dissipating heat by removing these headphones was quite fast though. Clamping power wasn't as strong as many other headphones which is a pro vs a con for open back. Quite a bit more expensive, needs a bit more juice to power. I gave it to my bro for gaming/streaming/music and he really liked it. Less low tone outside sounds could be heard, but IIRC, the occasional tap from the wire tapping something on the headphone (easy mod if needed).

In the middle, I own and also currently use a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO. Price point is in between the two other headphones. The ear pads are a bit unique in comparison to the others. It doesn't feel as much like foam. A neat suede type of ear pad material. Well build, slight edge to bass. I find the average temperatures on my ears for these are a little higher than the other two, but max temperature seems lower. I wonder if this is because this was the 80 ohm impedance version vs the AKG Q701 at 250. But I think the Sennheiser is lower? Not sure of the actual rating though I think I've read it's around 50? Very little stray outside low tone sounds and the design with padding, metal etc. means there's barely any audible noise from the headphone movements.

I mean, the point of open back headphones is not to isolate ambient noise by design. But this means less heat is trapped. However, I found that there's a basic level of ambient noise I'd like to isolate which are basic external buzzing of electronics and the sounds of the headphone materials moving I'd prefer not to hear. Beyerdynamic were a step up from the Sennheiser and IMO AKG K/Q are another step up, but all also have their own unique pros and cons. I used open back because I connect it to the TV for movies/gaming and I can still hear the kids if needed.
I get the comfort issue with AKG K7?? lines. I modified my headphone strap to mimic the Sennheiser wishbone style, using memory foam and hockey tape, haha:

Hopefully this works.. big upgrade in comfort on my k702's

Last edited by calumniate; 03-06-2024 at 04:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 03:02 PM   #54
Aarons13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey folks, question here.

I recently came into a 5.1 setup of Paradigm Signature speakers. S4 fronts, C3 Center, ADP rears, and a PW-2100 subwoofer.

I have an Onkyo 876 receiver that I was using with my previous setup, however as that piece is 16 years old, I'm considering what an upgrade could look like.

I know that these speakers are quite an expensive set, and as such I'd like to pair them with something that will really make them sing. Usage would be primarily TV related, however as I've recently seen, there are a ton of music streaming devices (either integrated into the receiver or as a separate piece), and that would be a huge addition to the setup for the family.

Can anyone point me in the direction of equipment that might pair well with these speakers?
Aarons13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:25 PM   #55
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons13 View Post
Hey folks, question here.

I recently came into a 5.1 setup of Paradigm Signature speakers. S4 fronts, C3 Center, ADP rears, and a PW-2100 subwoofer.

I have an Onkyo 876 receiver that I was using with my previous setup, however as that piece is 16 years old, I'm considering what an upgrade could look like.

I know that these speakers are quite an expensive set, and as such I'd like to pair them with something that will really make them sing. Usage would be primarily TV related, however as I've recently seen, there are a ton of music streaming devices (either integrated into the receiver or as a separate piece), and that would be a huge addition to the setup for the family.

Can anyone point me in the direction of equipment that might pair well with these speakers?
How well do you and your family notice nuances in sound/what is your budget?

Who will use/control the receiver and what is their electronics usage skill level? (Ie: just you or family members/kids etc. Skilled vs want to set and forget as much as possible)

Just trying to figure out whether you want to buy a super stupid upgrade. Mid high, mid low, or value upgrade and perhaps the user friendliness of the unit you're acquiring.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #56
Aarons13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So full story:

We have a 2 year old, and my wife is not tech literate. So it would most likely be a "set it and forget it" setup. I'd consider a few additional options/configurations for different usage (ie a music setting, a movie setting) but that would probably be the extent. I'm sure my wife would struggle changing the input on the current setup
Old 03-08-2024, 04:32 PM   #57
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know much about equipment to answer that part of your question but I've found the best solution to the toddler is letting them use it supervised. My 3 year old helps me with playing vinyl and as a result she doesn't have that desire to play with the "off limits" stereo when I'm out of the room.

It still comes with the odd finger print, and when she was younger a few scratches from being heavy handed with the brush, but now it's pretty smooth sailing and I don't need to worry about it.

Amp: McIntosh MA6100
Turntable: Thorens TD160
Speakers: Thiel Model 03A
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:19 PM   #58
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons13 View Post
So full story:

We have a 2 year old, and my wife is not tech literate. So it would most likely be a "set it and forget it" setup. I'd consider a few additional options/configurations for different usage (ie a music setting, a movie setting) but that would probably be the extent. I'm sure my wife would struggle changing the input on the current setup
I mulled over my response all weekend, but I wasn't sure whether to continue with my original post.

I think the issue I have is that I don't really feel comfortable just throwing out a few names for you to look into and going from there. Plus I'm not the guy who is the true expert for this stuff. I honestly think it makes more sense if you go spend some time researching how to set up a good system before circling back to the receiver and amp idea. What room are you considering, how often would others use it, the type of regular interference it might be subject to etc.

Depending on the situation, maybe it makes no sense to set up those speakers for family movie and music listening. Just buy a high quality sound bar that's appropriate for your child, wife and other users and something that sounds great, easy to use and you can thrash around. Especially if they won't be able to tell the difference anyways. You can get a solid Sonos sound bar for a fraction of the cost of the receiver you might be considering for those speakers. I really don't think a 2 year old would be awed by the difference between "brighter or muddier" sounds. More like flashy lights, Cocomelon characters or baby shark. Many spouses don't know the difference either. They just know they don't know how to get the thing to work.

Are you able to consider a personal set up for the speakers instead, like a man cave gaming/media set up? But honestly I don't know your situation. As much as you want to make them sing and are excited for that, the alternate possibility is putting together an awesome set up that just collects dust because it matches well together at a technical level, but doesn't match your sound preferences/isn't impressive enough to you to get regular use.

You certainly do want to make sure that wattage AND impedance of the receiver are appropriate matches for your speakers. But it wouldn't be as simple as saying, "Look into Denon or Anthem depending on your budget." When you get into some of this higher end stuff, the intention is to have an intimate experience with the media you're hoping to consume. I think it makes sense to spend more time understanding how it all fits together prior to making a purchase decision rather than just going with something higher end that "should pair well".

I do agree with you that your Onkyo likely isn't the right pairing with your speakers, but it's not an age of the receiver issue, it's the the fact Onkyo receivers are typically entry level receivers and may not have the capability to run those speakers issue. Some people specifically seek out vintage receivers and amps because it is a specific sound profile they are looking for and a good match for their set up.

I almost wonder if it might make sense to call a smaller hifi shop and ask if you can bring the speakers in and ask them for a recommendation for a receiver/amp recommendation. Maybe even pay them a small fee for their time. Then you can get an idea what the sound might sound like if your speakers are optimally set up. But also don't forget that the furniture, wall/ceiling/floor materials and other things in your home "set up" can affect the sound. Heck, even blinds can do that to a surprisingly severe degree. How it sounds in the store can be very different than at home. This is always these types of risks buying higher end speaker set ups. You're entering the realm of wanting to ensure that your stuff is custom fit to your situation, environment and expected usage.

I really do hope you figure out how to get those speakers to sing. But I also hope that you spend some time ensuring those things will sing regularly, rather that rarely.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:21 AM   #59
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I dunno man he has the full set of speakers for a 5.1 setup, so I'd probably try to find the easiest to use 5.1 receiver that has enough juice for what apparently look to be 6 ohm speakers. Could be anything really as long as it's a 5.1 receiver.

Maybe this Yamaha? I've never used them but pretty good reviews. 5.2 would allow you to add another sub, lol:
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_022RXV4....html?tp=73415

Last edited by calumniate; 03-12-2024 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:15 AM   #60
Aarons13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

@doublef

I appreciate your thorough and well thought out answer.

With our current house/setup, moving to a sound bar is not an option as that is extra money that doesn't need to be spent, and worst case, it would relegate the paradigms to storage (as we only have a single viewing/listening space).

I won't lie when I say that I'm fairly new to this (or maybe more to the point, haven't looked into it for years). The paradigms replaced a set of Nuance speakers that 23 year old me was suckered into buying. TV/Music usage is down tremendously since our daughter arrived, so I rarely get a chance to enjoy it, however on the few times that I have, I don't "feel" like the difference in speakers has truly been maximized.

Fortunately, from people such as yourself, this forum, and just general knowledge, I'm fully aware that our setup is less than ideal. A huge ceramic potted plant directly in front of one speaker? Check. Baby fence in front of all the speakers? Check. Not using the speaker stands as it represents a risk of them getting knocked over? Also check. Etc Etc. Far from ideal

The Onkyo at the time was second from top of their line from whatever its worth, but if its generally an entry level, then that doesn't matter how "top of the line" it is!!!

I do love the idea of contacting a smaller Hifi store and trying my speakers with a variety of amps to see if I notice a difference. Its possible I won't, and therefore its a moot point!

I will probably have to settle with the idea that with life in its current form, I could buy an amazing amp and still a) not be able to use it and b) not be able to appreciate it fully with the lack of proper setup/acoustics.

Final note, I did contact Paradigm a few weeks ago, and they recommended their Anthem line, specifically the MRX 740 or 1140. I chuckled when I saw them on the site as it reminded me of when I bought the Onkyo, thinking bigger was better (even though it was powering garbage Nuance speakers!)

@Calumniate - My dad had a vintage Yamaha amp and loved it. My sister had one too. I've briefly looked at their offerings, but marketing has sucked me into a "higher priced brands = better" mentality, so I haven't necessarily given Yamaha their due. Appreciate the link, and I'll look into it a bit more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarons13 For This Useful Post: