Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #3761
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The trade no one brigade should prepare themselves for the inevitable trade of Flames depth at D for more scoring.

Something has to happen if the prospects continue to develop as they have been.
hi there, member of the trade no one brigade here. i fully realize that there will be roster players moved out as our prospect cupboard bursts at the seams. but the reason i don't understand fantasizing about trades is that i feel this roster can be competitive in the playoffs as is.

for me it's more of an appreciation of the roster treliving has put together, and a grass isn't always greener opinion of other stars around the league.

you describe it like the roster is sacred to guys like me. just happy to root for a competitive team is all.

is your cat doing singing?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #3762
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You guys want rumours? Real news? Anything except backlunds_socks' silly rambling?

Jarome Iginla isn't ready to retire from NHL yet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...etire-nhl-yet/
At the start of the new year ~ if a team was willing to take on Versteeg and Iggy was still looking I would trade Steeger for a pick as I feel Iggy is a better fit for the 4th line role than Versteeg.

Trade Versteeg for a 3rd round pick

Sign Iginla 1 year x 1 mill

Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ Ferland
Tkachuk ~ Backlund ~ Frolik
Bennett ~ Jankowski ~ Jagr
Brouwer ~ Lazar ~ Iginla
Stajan ~ F. Hamilton

Giordano ~ D. Hamilton
Brodie ~ Hamonic
Kulak ~ Stone
Andersson

Smith
Lack
Old 11-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #3763
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Thank you!

Nothing more cowardly/petty than getting proven wrong over and over and then pulling that kind of BS when it happens rather than admitting fault.

I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for people like that.
Please provide proof of my being an oilers fan? Kindly?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #3764
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I don't care to check, but it's like ten/fifteen posts up.

Anyhow, this is getting tiresome.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #3765
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, let it go. You were exposed for cheering for the Oilers last playoffs, it happened. Lets get the thread back on track.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #3766
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys want rumours? Real news? Anything except backlunds_socks' silly rambling?

Jarome Iginla isn't ready to retire from NHL yet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...etire-nhl-yet/
At some point, players need to learn to leave with their heads up high. PTO? Pretty pathetic finish for a player likely gping into HHOF.

Rarely ever works out.. Brodeur, Alfredsson, Sundin...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #3767
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pirahna tank of a thread had jumped shark. Story at 11.

Don't know what worse, the trolls or the responders taking the bait. I suppose this post is guilty too.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #3768
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even if you meant it as being 'sarcastic' I don't think the preceding minutes after being swept by a team that is going on to play our most hated rivals is the best time to 'sarcastically' say you're going to cheer for the enemy because they are playing the team that just beat us. Vancouver could beat us and go on to play Edmonton and I would cheer for Vancouver as much as I hated them through my youth when Edmonton was a non-factor because its Edmonton. You don't even joke about cheering for them as far as I'm concerned and as far as much of the CP community is concerned. So many troll type posters come on here as veiled Oilers fans posing as Flames fans taking shots at how crappy the flames are and how they should be more like their brother team to the north and you've been one of those posters like it or lump it.

Even going back to the quote in question ~ you said that the flames suck and that you were joking about cheering for the Oilers right after a painful game 4 series sweep/loss. How did you think CP would react? Don't be so shocked when that's being quoted again after you have been routinely pessimistic about the Flames yet again all year this year. It's getting old and really the only equation that makes sense is b_s is equal to our greater than E=NG. You are one in the same ~ this isn't internet bullying this is calling a spade a spade. If you're tired of being 'bullied' about this topic than maybe try to start supporting the Flames properly rather than playing devil's advocate to the pessimistic visions of this team.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #3769
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Even if you meant it as being 'sarcastic' I don't think the preceding minutes after being swept by a team that is going on to play our most hated rivals is the best time to 'sarcastically' say you're going to cheer for the enemy because they are playing the team that just beat us. Vancouver could beat us and go on to play Edmonton and I would cheer for Vancouver as much as I hated them through my youth when Edmonton was a non-factor because its Edmonton. You don't even joke about cheering for them as far as I'm concerned and as far as much of the CP community is concerned. So many troll type posters come on here as veiled Oilers fans posing as Flames fans taking shots at how crappy the flames are and how they should be more like their brother team to the north and you've been one of those posters like it or lump it.

Even going back to the quote in question ~ you said that the flames suck and that you were joking about cheering for the Oilers right after a painful game 4 series sweep/loss. How did you think CP would react? Don't be so shocked when that's being quoted again after you have been routinely pessimistic about the Flames yet again all year this year. It's getting old and really the only equation that makes sense is b_s is equal to our greater than E=NG. You are one in the same ~ this isn't internet bullying this is calling a spade a spade. If you're tired of being 'bullied' about this topic than maybe try to start supporting the Flames properly rather than playing devil's advocate to the pessimistic visions of this team.

You mean become a vanilla member? Ok.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #3770
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd think that posters here on CP would have learned to shy away from use of the victim card by now, but here we are...
Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #3771
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't care to check, but it's like ten/fifteen posts up.

Anyhow, this is getting tiresome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ok, let it go. You were exposed for cheering for the Oilers last playoffs, it happened. Lets get the thread back on track.
A tongue in cheek comment after getting swept in the playoffs is not getting exposed big guy.

I’m ok with letting it go now tho.

—————

On topic I don’t c how iffy helps right now.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #3772
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean become a vanilla member? Ok.
Not saying become a vanilla member at all and to equate other members of that is laughable. Your schtick is obvious and old.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #3773
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
At some point, players need to learn to leave with their heads up high. PTO? Pretty pathetic finish for a player likely gping into HHOF.

I disagree. It’s pretty indicative of their passion and perseverance in my opinion, the same things that made them successful in the first place.

Asking hall of famers to read the writing on the wall and not make a final push would almost defy what got them into the HOF.

Good on Iggy for not giving up to time just yet. Hopefully he can make one last cup run.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #3774
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why is it pathetic?

The guy wants to play hockey.

Why should it matter whether or not a player was a HHOF calibre player in their prime if they want to play as long as possible at the end of their career?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #3775
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Why is it pathetic?

The guy wants to play hockey.

Why should it matter whether or not a player was a HHOF calibre player in their prime if they want to play as long as possible at the end of their career?

Fair enough. I would just rather go out on top than the 14th forward... Also, if he isn't a big reason (not saying he cant be), would it be that satisfying winning the cup barely playing?

I am not in the NHL though

Last edited by keenan87; 11-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #3776
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. I would just rather go out on top than the 14th forward... Also, if he isn't a big reason (not saying he cant be), would it be that satisfying winning the cup barely playing?

I am not in the NHL though
In his final year Lanny played 51 games for the flames getting 18 points. He then went on to play in only 14 of the 22 playoff games in 88 getting just 4 points but ended up scoring one of the most memorable goals in Flames history.

Iggy would take a chance at a finish like that no doubt and I'd love to see him get that chance with whoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #3777
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
In his final year Lanny played 51 games for the flames getting 18 points. He then went on to play in only 14 of the 22 playoff games in 88 getting just 4 points but ended up scoring one of the most memorable goals in Flames history.

Iggy would take a chance at a finish like that no doubt and I'd love to see him get that chance with whoever.
Well now that the flames have demoted tanner glass, there's a spot open for a face puncher and if he is a right hand shot who can one time slapshots on a power Play, that is useful too.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #3778
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, I don't see a fit here, since the Flames really have too many wingers who are better in their roles than Iginla, especially in the bottom-six (Bennett, Jagr, Versteeg, and Brouwer are all very good in their roles, IMO). But I'd love for Iginla to get a shot on a team with perhaps less depth at that position, like Pittsburgh.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #3779
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see a fit here, since the Flames really have too many wingers who are better in their roles than Iginla, especially in the bottom-six (Bennett, Jagr, Versteeg, and Brouwer are all very good in their roles, IMO). But I'd love for Iginla to get a shot on a team with perhaps less depth at that position, like Pittsburgh.
Agreed. Hathaway would have every right to be pissed at the organization as well and would likely GTFO at the first chance. Others may follow suit.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #3780
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Agreed. Hathaway would have every right to be pissed at the organization as well and would likely GTFO at the first chance. Others may follow suit.
I don't think Iggy would be a great fit at this point, but the feelings of a fringe NHL'er shouldn't have any bearing on making hockey moves.

And I can pretty much guarantee that Hathaway doesn't harbor the feelings you think he does. He's shown nothing of the sort through a lot of call ups and send downs.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread