Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #3641
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Ferland can maintain a degree of consistency on that top line - he’s a great compliment of skill, shooting and toughness there. Found money. Very few NHL lines are comprised of three pure superstars - these (cheaper) complementary players are crucial to team success. We might have it in Ferland.

If we were to get a Marner type player - better for the middle 6 to boost the balance of offence.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #3642
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-unite Marner and Chucky!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #3643
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay so....wtf CP? Yeah I know it's fun to speculate about getting another star forward. But we don't need one at all! Not only that but the idea of trading a top pairing d-man makes literally no sense. If the team is going to aquire help up front, it's not going to be in exchange for top players. It'll be similar to what Nashville gave up for Turris. Picks (don't have any) prospects (meh).

What we should be discussing is if and how we'll move Versteeg, Brouwer and Stajan. And who replaces them.

Heck, finding a good backup goalie is more important than getting a top line forward.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #3644
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not every trade is going to be picks and prospects headed out. Granted this team is not all that deep, but defense is the one position where you could see a young player graduating to a top 4 role, allowing the team to take a chance.

Look at what it cost to acquire Hamonic. I think its fun to speculate on the return for a player like Brodie, even knowing you will be losing something important.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #3645
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Okay so....wtf CP? Yeah I know it's fun to speculate about getting another star forward. But we don't need one at all! Not only that but the idea of trading a top pairing d-man makes literally no sense. If the team is going to aquire help up front, it's not going to be in exchange for top players. It'll be similar to what Nashville gave up for Turris. Picks (don't have any) prospects (meh).

What we should be discussing is if and how we'll move Versteeg, Brouwer and Stajan. And who replaces them.

Heck, finding a good backup goalie is more important than getting a top line forward.
Alright, so when Brad Trelving himself said that having a deep defense gives you the ability to trade from the most sought after/highest value position to fill other needs down the road he was just talking to hear himself talk?

Nobody is saying we need to do anything now, just that trading a D-man to bolster our offense may become a legitimate strategy to take a step into contender status if any prospects show they belong in the NHL (Kulak arguably already has and Anderson could easily do so as well down the road).

You brought up what we should be talking about, as the authority on that matter I guess. So what are your ideas on Vertseeg, Brouwer and Stajan? If they could trade Brouwer or Stajan for literally anything it would be done by now, that's a good start on that topic I guess.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #3646
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Re-unite Marner and Chucky!
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Marner
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway

Next year
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #3647
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If they trade a top 4 dman my guess is it’ll be at the draft. Hopefully to aquire Brady Tkachuk. And it’ll only be if one of the prospects, probably Andersson, shows that hes ready to step in.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #3648
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
If they trade a top 4 dman my guess is it’ll be at the draft. Hopefully to aquire Brady Tkachuk. And it’ll only be if one of the prospects, probably Andersson, shows that hes ready to step in.
I really hope not. That so doesn't fit our build cycle at all. You've got Giordano on the late end and a core that's right in it's prime, and a GM that has gone all in and stated this is our window to contend.

And you want to trade a top four D-man for a draft pick? Even if Tkachuk turns out, we're likely looking at the 2019/20 season before he's starting to hit his potential.

Then a lot of our excellent contracts are already ending or about to end. You can't trade any star/strong roster player for futures at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #3649
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I hope this is a joke....no chance Ottawa does this anyways but wow.
Mark Stone is a top 6 RWer who is on pace to surpassing his best season (rookie season) this year but had a slight decrease in his preceding 2 seasons after that rookie campaign. He is a valuable piece no doubt and would instantly make this team better ~ but in the same breath Dougie Hamilton is a cornerstoner D who has played nearly 100 games more than Mark Stone at this point in their careers and is more than a year younger than him. Dougie has also bested each of his NHL season point totals every year and is currently on pace to closely matching his career year 50 point campaign last year...

I don't really see the 'wow' in your post when considering Ottawa not wanting to give up a top 6 RW for a top 2 D in Dougie ~ their values are similar and some could argue either way that one carries more value than the other.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 11-11-2017 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #3650
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I hope this is a joke....no chance Ottawa does this anyways but wow.
You are seriously underrating Dougie-he’s younger, bigger, faster, and plays the highly coveted right-shooting dman. Plus, they practically got the same amount of points ladt year...
Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #3651
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I really hope not. That so doesn't fit our build cycle at all. You've got Giordano on the late end and a core that's right in it's prime, and a GM that has gone all in and stated this is our window to contend.

And you want to trade a top four D-man for a draft pick? Even if Tkachuk turns out, we're likely looking at the 2019/20 season before he's starting to hit his potential.

Then a lot of our excellent contracts are already ending or about to end. You can't trade any star/strong roster player for futures at this point.
If I remember correctly isn't Brady already committed to an ncaa team already? That means even longer wait time I would imagine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkknight For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #3652
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Alright, so when Brad Trelving himself said that having a deep defense gives you the ability to trade from the most sought after/highest value position to fill other needs down the road he was just talking to hear himself talk?

Nobody is saying we need to do anything now, just that trading a D-man to bolster our offense may become a legitimate strategy to take a step into contender status if any prospects show they belong in the NHL (Kulak arguably already has and Anderson could easily do so as well down the road).

You brought up what we should be talking about, as the authority on that matter I guess. So what are you're ideas on Vertseeg, Brouwer and Stajan? If they could trade Brouwer or Stajan for literally anything it would be done by now, that's a good start on that topic I guess.
Sit two, play 1. Let Stajan and Steeger go end of the season. Trade Brouwer for a worse player on a better contract, or a better player on a worse contract. I wouldn't dump Stajan or Versteeg at the trade deadline, too little value and we might need the depth this spring.

And seriously call up Rittich, what does the guy have to do in the AHL to get a damn game?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #3653
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to Marner ~ I think he would be awesome on the RW of Backlund/Tkachuk.

Bennett + Brodie for Marner ++ ~ depending on what the + + is this could work. Bennett needs a change and Brodie would become the cornerstone for the Leafs and could play his offside again with Rielly.

I would dig Marner on the this team though ~ two lines that have Gaudreau and Marner's creativity would be absolutely incredible to watch.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Marner
Frolik - Jankowski - Jagr
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer

Giordano - Hamilton
Kulak - Hamonic
Andersson - Stone
Bart

Smith
Lack

I think with Fox coming up soon, Andersson taking steps, Kulak taking steps and Kylington coming up too before even thinking about Valimaki and now is as good a time as ever to turn one of the top 4 pieces into a high end right winger.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 11-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3654
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Marner
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway

Next year
That is a beautiful line-up.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #3655
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
You are seriously underrating Dougie-he’s younger, bigger, faster, and plays the highly coveted right-shooting dman. Plus, they practically got the same amount of points ladt year...
There is more to the game than points. Stone is a defensive stud who also can put up 60+ points. He may be bigger than Stone but he doesn't play bigger.

Do you watch Ottawa? He'd instantly become our second best player.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #3656
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Mark Stone is a top 6 RWer who is on pace to surpassing his best season (rookie season) this year but had a slight decrease in his preceding 2 seasons after that rookie campaign. He is a valuable piece no doubt and would instantly make this team better ~ but in the same breath Dougie Hamilton is a cornerstoner D who has played nearly 100 games more than Mark Stone at this point in their careers and is more than a year younger than him. Dougie has also bested each of his NHL season point totals every year and is currently on pace to closely matching his career year 50 point campaign last year...

I don't really see the 'wow' in your post when considering Ottawa not wanting to give up a top 6 RW for a top 2 D in Dougie ~ their values are similar and some could argue either way that one carries more value than the other.
In the last 3 seasons Stone's point totals were .80, .81, .76 ppg and he dealt with a pretty significant injury.

You can talk about point totals all you want but Hamilton cheats a lot for his offence and isn't that good defensively.

Don't you think if Hamilton's value was so high, the Bruins would have traded Hamilton for more than some magic beans? I'm sure if they were getting a Stone back they would have jumped on it. There is zero chance Hamilton and Stone have the same value.

And Hamilton isn't even close to matching his 50 point pace from last season. He's on about a 35 point pace.

Last edited by calgaryblood; 11-11-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #3657
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if we trade Brodie, who replaces him because his departure would leave a decent size hole on the left side.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #3658
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Completely forgot about Fox..

The Flames D prospects and depth is a serious strength and at some point some guys will plateau if they aren't provided an opportunity to make the jump.

People talk about players proving they're ready in camp but that isn't to say that they are, at the time of camp, showing they are "better" than another Dman but rather show the potential and readiness to develop their game beyond another player.

With that said, some space will have to be opened up on the big club.

Let's take a look at some of the depth and see who makes sense for a return that suits the Flames needs now.

If the Flames want a guy like Marner, the Leafs are in a win-now mode as well and likely aren't looking for prospects or budding NHL'ers, they are looking for a bonafide top 4 Dman and know those players cost a premium.

Look no further than our very own Hamonic and cost to acquire. 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders. Hamonic was playing behind Leddy and Boychuck as a 3rd Dman, very much like he is in the Flames depth chart, right beside Brodie.

One could argue Brodie is worth a 1st and 2 2nds. So let's look at that Value.

Is Marner worth a 1st and 2nds? Right now? No. He has the potential though.

I really think Brodie, if shopped around the league would command a kings ransom and there would be a few teams tripping over themselves to get their hands on Brodie.

For the Flames, there is only one element in Brodie's game that is head and shoulders beyond any other player in the organization, for now.

Valimaki and Kylington, or Fox, I feel could be as strong of skater if given the opportunity to develop their game at the pace of the NHL. I feel Kylington is the dark horse and could end up more like a Bartkowski than a Brodie. But Fox and Valimaki are the real deal.

My point is, with the Flames depth, they could graduate a guy next year and fill that hole by Brodie without much notice to be honest and could put themselves in a position to have one of the deepest teams overall rather than just defensively.

I think shopping Brodie is the move BT needs to make.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #3659
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Let's just say no to acquiring anyone's brother, for obvious reasons.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #3660
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
So if we trade Brodie, who replaces him because his departure would leave a decent size hole on the left side.
It's why I'd trade a RHD before a LHD. Immediate "ready to play now" strength in depth is on the right side. Although Kylington is close too. But Andersson is here already.
Closed Thread