Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 04:32 PM   #3161
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really, I press a button or use hotkeys to swap between computers
Old 02-29-2024, 05:00 PM   #3162
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Not really, I press a button or use hotkeys to swap between computers
Well, yeah now that it's set up I'm sure it works like a dream but I wouldn't want to deal with all those cables and stuff.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:12 AM   #3163
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better idea, since both machines have their own display: Mouse Without Borders

Basically, you install the host on the first PC, then install on the second PC and link the two. Then you can basically move between each PC as easily as moving a mouse cursor from one monitor to the next on a multi-monitor setup. Also will let you transfer files up to a certain size between the machines just by dragging the file to the other machine's screen.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:01 AM   #3164
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That only really works if you only want the use of one monitor for each machine.
I have a similar setup with a work laptop and home machine and use the dual monitors on both and switch between the two depending on which one I'm using.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:18 AM   #3165
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I misread what his end goal was, dammit.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:33 AM   #3166
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think getting an ultrawide with the KVM built in is the way to go. But don't have $1k to drop on a monitor at the moment.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:58 PM   #3167
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a prebuilt on the marketplace here locally in Cape Breton, nice kid and family. It's a really nifty little machine but I do notice that the CPU fan, while not loud, has a bit of a slightly higher pitch than the noctua I have on my older PC.

I have the CPU fan set to silent in the boot menu Q control. In Windows when I load asus' armoury crate, which I guess is there motherboard windows software. When I change the fan speed to standard or silent, the PC comes to a nearly dead silent quiet bliss.

But the thing is, I can't have armoury crate load as part of windows startup, and, assuming I figured that out, according to asus technical support, you have to load the profile each and every time to get the fan speed setting changed. this seems like a rare miss from a company i regularly support for hardware.

edit: I saw online theres an opensource program people made to control fan speed. I may give that a go and see if that helps

Last edited by White Out 403; 03-08-2024 at 03:16 PM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:48 PM   #3168
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
But the thing is, I can't have armoury crate load as part of windows startup, and, assuming I figured that out, according to asus technical support, you have to load the profile each and every time to get the fan speed setting changed. this seems like a rare miss from a company i regularly support for hardware.
So every time you open the application, it doesn't automatically go to the last used profile?

Eeesh. Getting the app to open on start-up is a breeze, you can put a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and configure the shortcut to run the app minimized, or create a scheduled task that kicks off on start-up. But if it won't automatically pick the last used profile, what a janky piece of crap app.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 06:05 PM   #3169
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

it really is. i looked at the online reddit response to the software suite and its reviled.

but the fan control speed app seems to be able to load to the tray on windows start and keep the profile saved.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:29 PM   #3170
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So follow up, the fan seems to be running at max speed when I enter windows. I installed an openware fan control program that loads with windows, and saves and loads my profile by default. and it has really amazing feature set. problem solved.

also installed windows 11 and really love it so far. big improvements made since i first tried it ages back.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #3171
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So follow up, the fan seems to be running at max speed when I enter windows. I installed an openware fan control program that loads with windows, and saves and loads my profile by default. and it has really amazing feature set. problem solved.

also installed windows 11 and really love it so far. big improvements made since i first tried it ages back.
Are you using Fan Control? That’s one I’ve been using for a while. Not perfect, but a ton of granular control over everything. Good replacement for SpeedFan.

Watch out for OneDrive in Windows 11 automatically hijacking all your files and trying to move them to cloud storage. That was a fun thing to fix for my parents.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:54 PM   #3172
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Are you using Fan Control? That’s one I’ve been using for a while. Not perfect, but a ton of granular control over everything. Good replacement for SpeedFan.

Watch out for OneDrive in Windows 11 automatically hijacking all your files and trying to move them to cloud storage. That was a fun thing to fix for my parents.
Yeah, fancontrol. Small footprint

First thing I did was uninstall onedrive. I had that same thing happen to me a year or two ago. It was awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 12:30 AM   #3173
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
... fix? I made sure it did that for every file that my parents give a sh-te about. Now when one of their laptops inevitably goes kaput, they just log back in and they're up and running with no files lost.

I did add them to my M365 family subscription so they get a terabyte, that said, but honestly, if your parents insist on buying crappy Best Buy special laptops that will die in a few years, it's a must-have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 02:12 AM   #3174
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
... fix? I made sure it did that for every file that my parents give a sh-te about. Now when one of their laptops inevitably goes kaput, they just log back in and they're up and running with no files lost.

I did add them to my M365 family subscription so they get a terabyte, that said, but honestly, if your parents insist on buying crappy Best Buy special laptops that will die in a few years, it's a must-have.
I don't think it's a bad idea in general, it's the fact that it will do it without asking and it will do it whether you have a subscription or not, and then it'll start sending you dire warnings about losing your stuff if you don't pony up.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:23 PM   #3175
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new pc has amd 5 3600. What is a not too high cost AMD for socket chip that would be a great long-term investment? I previously had the i7 6700 and loved the longevity I got from it
Old 03-14-2024, 09:14 PM   #3176
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My new pc has amd 5 3600. What is a not too high cost AMD for socket chip that would be a great long-term investment? I previously had the i7 6700 and loved the longevity I got from it
Which MB do you have it; offhand a 5700X3D would be a good choice for gaming and productivity. If you care more about heavily threaded applications (or don't game very much), the 12-core 5900X has been heavily discounted lately.

https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-9-59...82E16819113664
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:16 PM   #3177
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Which MB do you have it; offhand a 5700X3D would be a good choice for gaming and productivity. If you care more about heavily threaded applications (or don't game very much), the 12-core 5900X has been heavily discounted lately.

https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-9-59...82E16819113664
ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming

I can't say heavily threaded applications is likely something I'd need, this would be more with games in mind than anything else

edit: after some poking around I think the 5700X3d makes sense. I'm sure I can flip my old 3500 for a hundred bucks

Last edited by White Out 403; 03-14-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:27 PM   #3178
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
edit: after some poking around I think the 5700X3d makes sense. I'm sure I can flip my old 3500 for a hundred bucks
Yeah, that seems like the ideal CPU for you and is well ahead of every regular 5000 series CPU for gaming.

Last edited by accord1999; 03-15-2024 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:33 AM   #3179
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And speaking of the 5700X3D, Canada Computers has a sale on it for $289 after coupon:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=251516
Old 03-15-2024, 05:56 AM   #3180
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
And speaking of the 5700X3D, Canada Computers has a sale on it for $289 after coupon:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=251516
bro thanks! i saved it in the cart over night , saved me 50 bucks