Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #1621
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure I've said it here before, but after taking some time away from it I'm addicted again. Anyone that loves shooters owes it to themselves to play Squad. Love it. Canadian developer too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #1622
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could have got it a couple of Humble Bundles ago but it's online only so I paused that month.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #1623
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I could have got it a couple of Humble Bundles ago but it's online only so I paused that month.
I've commented on my hate for online games a lot in this thread, but this one doesn't suffer from the usual a-holes that ruin it. Everyone just plays the game as intended. There's no score for kills, just teamwork points, so you don't get the kids that just run around trying to be Rambo like you so in every other shooter
Old 10-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #1624
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I've had an absolute ball playing Banished. It's medieval city builder and it's beauty is in it's simplicity. Tons of fun making sure your villagers don't starve, freeze or die of disease.
I was really enjoying it. I finally got the hang of not having my villagers either freeze to death or starve, and had some real stable population and economic growth happening.

Then the game up and decided "SURPRISE, A TORNADO" and wiped out 2/3rds of my population while managing to snake through both my chicken farms, two of my storage barns, four of my supply yards, both of my farms, my orchard, a fishing dock, and one of my gatherer's huts.

In effect, right before winter I was left with no food, little to no supplies to rebuild little to no firewood, and not enough people to actually collect enough food and supplies simultaneously to prevent both starvation and hypothermia at the same time. A worthy rage quit if ever there was one.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #1625
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I've commented on my hate for online games a lot in this thread, but this one doesn't suffer from the usual a-holes that ruin it. Everyone just plays the game as intended. There's no score for kills, just teamwork points, so you don't get the kids that just run around trying to be Rambo like you so in every other shooter
That's only part of the reason why I took a pass on it. Depending on what type of game it is I play games for the story so if it's just online only I feel like I'm wasting time I could use trying to knock down the huge backlog I have.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #1626
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's fair enough, I'm like that 90% of the time. Certain online games agree with me but other than that I'm single player all the way
Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #1627
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Hey right on, found Divinity: OS 2 for 40% off on GOG.

Pillars of Eternity is basically the only single player RPG I've played since the Baldurs Gate days.

Just a heads up, a bunch of EA games have been added to the Humble store and right now Battlefront 2 is $8 CDN.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/s...efront-ii-2017
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #1628
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So during a recent Asian Hearthstone tournament, the winner made a statement supporting democracy in Hong Kong in his post game interview. Blizzard responds by revoking his title and prize money, banning him for a year, and firing the casters

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...ew_blitzchung/

What a disgusting company
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #1629
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So during a recent Asian Hearthstone tournament, the winner made a statement supporting democracy in Hong Kong in his post game interview. Blizzard responds by revoking his title and prize money, banning him for a year, and firing the casters

This is becoming more common. Any company that wants to do business in a China has to censor support for HK or Taiwan. I’ve boycotted game companies for far less but they don’t care if they lose me because the Chinese market is huge.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #1630
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well I won't be buying anything else they make, and it would be really nice if that sentiment spread across NA and Europe where people supposedly value free speech. If Blizzard wants to become another arm of the Chinese government then fine, but they should have to feel some financial pain for that choice
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #1631
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sony reveals the PS5 is launching holiday 2020: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Article doesn't really say much. Mostly extolling the virtues of a SSD drive. Which is a lot like Apple bragging about swipe-based keyboard inputs. Welcome to a decade ago, guys.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 10-08-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #1632
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I was really enjoying it. I finally got the hang of not having my villagers either freeze to death or starve, and had some real stable population and economic growth happening.

Then the game up and decided "SURPRISE, A TORNADO" and wiped out 2/3rds of my population while managing to snake through both my chicken farms, two of my storage barns, four of my supply yards, both of my farms, my orchard, a fishing dock, and one of my gatherer's huts.

In effect, right before winter I was left with no food, little to no supplies to rebuild little to no firewood, and not enough people to actually collect enough food and supplies simultaneously to prevent both starvation and hypothermia at the same time. A worthy rage quit if ever there was one.
I rage quit last night. Seems like 300 villagers is my max before mass freezing and starvation sets in. Stayed up till like 1am on reddit last night reading guides and tips in anger.

My next village I'm going to start out with a focus on the wood economy and measured growth. If you have a sustained wood economy, you can trade firewood for food. Still trying to figure out how many trading posts I need.

I think in past villages I was addicted to growing too fast and the little buggers would chow down the entire reserve of food in 2 years. I want to leave work early and go home and show that game who's boss.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #1633
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Blizzard has made attempts to appear as if they are a progressive company and then go out and do something like this.

In the end, all that matters to them is sales. Any attempt to appear progressive is for sales. Any attempt to appease the Chinese government is for sales.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #1634
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

I still remember the super intelligent alien attack in sim city that blew my mind.

It showed up, destroyed both of my nuclear power plants causing mass destruction, then floated over the city blasting fire stations almost like a massive FU to me. Then to finish it off he blasted my stadium which was right next to the mayors house so that got roasted as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #1635
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I turned off disasters for Banished until I get a handle on the economy. That is hard enough without a plague or massive fire ripping through town.

I don't understand how some guys with these massive villages can produce so many logs and firewood that they are able to trade them regularly to sustain other parts of the economy like food, ale, building supplies, herbs etc.

I saw a video on youtube of a guy with a 7,000 population village with no mods.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #1636
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure I've said it here before, but after taking some time away from it I'm addicted again. Anyone that loves shooters owes it to themselves to play Squad. Love it. Canadian developer too
Thanks for this! Hadn't heard of it before and my brother and I are looking for a new FPS. This may fit the bill. Watched some gameplay on youtube and I have the intrigue. Bonus that it's a Canadian company too.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-09-2019 at 02:44 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #1637
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have squad and hell let loose, which is another work in progress that is highly entertaining!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #1638
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I have squad and hell let loose, which is another work in progress that is highly entertaining!
Post Scriptum is the same devs as Squad as well, but in WW2. Highly reccomend
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #1639
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Worth the read

https://i.redd.it/8jhx0u3zarr31.jpg
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #1640
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mortak Kombat 11 is free to play this weekend. I haven't enjoyed a video game this much since, I dunno, Rainbow Six Siege and GTA V? It's amazing.

Let's spar online?

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-11-2019 at 01:35 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post: