Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #121
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
How do they get this under control without a vaccine? If they open up the economy it will be another wave again. China is still seeing new cases and they've been in lockdown for over two months, the US hasn't even begun one yet.
How do we know how far a vaccine is? They are already trying some out on patients. There are also medicines they are using that are showing effectiveness at killing the virus. You would be surprised how fast medicine can move when thousands of scientists are working on it. I am simply saying it is impossible to know a timeline yet.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #122
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
How do we know how far a vaccine is? They are already trying some out on patients. There are also medicines they are using that are showing effectiveness at killing the virus. You would be surprised how fast medicine can move when thousands of scientists are working on it. I am simply saying it is impossible to know a timeline yet.
As far as a vaccine goes, all those experts are saying it’s 12-18 months away. I haven’t seen anything indicating otherwise.

Treatments and such, I agree. One could pop up tomorrow.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #123
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Optimistic estimates are 12 months with the vaccine. They may already be trying already but to my understanding the reason why it takes so long is because you need 10000-100000 cases to check for side effects. Also there is a huge treshold for this type of stuff because you're intentionally infecting healthy people.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #124
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe there is some confusion between treatments and a vaccine.

The former may be many weeks to a few months away , whereas the vaccine will be a year or most likely longer.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #125
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t believe that’s true about China. They’ve had several new cases in past few days but I believe all but one were travelers who brought it in from elsewhere.

And hundreds of millions of Americans are on lockdowns right now.
China also basically imprisoned the effected areas to complete lockdowns to the point of building walls around cities, drone footage over Wuhan showed only the odd police car and service vehicles. more infected people got out of Hubei province on airplanes to other country's than to other parts of China...far more.

I also suspect the numbers in China are a bunch of BS
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #126
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I don't think that would go over too well with teams not in the race. Here play 12 meaningless games and then take another 6 months off
well teams just played 70 meaningless games...

TBH if we're still social distancing 18 months from now, the last thing on anyone's mind (or what's left of it) will be this NHL season...

Last edited by Geeoff; 03-30-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:41 AM   #127
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reminds me of the '04-05 lockout. We all knew the season was cooked by late january but the league didn't announce the cancellation until February 16.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #128
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know things can change quickly for treatments, etc, but no way I'd consider being packed in with 18,000 people. that's a second wave spike waiting to happen.

I'm a season ticket holder for the Esks, and I already told my friends that if the CFL manages a partial season I'm not going. I have no problem waiting until next year.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #129
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Considering it is believed that Spain and Italy are so completely effed because of a soccer match, I think it's unlikely we have any major sports for a while yet.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #130
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
China also basically imprisoned the effected areas to complete lockdowns to the point of building walls around cities, drone footage over Wuhan showed only the odd police car and service vehicles. more infected people got out of Hubei province on airplanes to other country's than to other parts of China...far more.

I also suspect the numbers in China are a bunch of BS
So you're saying there is still community spread going on in China? Is there evidence of that?

I know China is different than here, not implying otherwise.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #131
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This is probably more fit for the general corona thread in the off-topic forum, but a bunch of stories have come out over the last couple days arguing that China has dramatically underreported its number of cases and deaths. That said, some skepticism should be applied, as the most reliable source (such as it is) that I can come up with is The Daily Mail reporting that the British PM has been informed the number of cases in China was as much as 40x the official reports.

There is also, frankly, the common sense test. China spent months lying about the extent and severity of the disease. It would require an incredible amount of gullibility to believe that the CCP has suddenly decided to be honest and up front.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 03-30-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #132
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what the solution is but there should be consequences for China's actions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #133
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure what the solution is but there should be consequences for China's actions.
I’ll stop eating Chinese food. We all have to do our part.

In all seriousness, yes for sure; I don’t know what we can do.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #134
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only "solution" to the ongoing problem of a dictatorship controlling the worlds largest ascendant economy is going to come internally. Unless everyone here is ready to go into a world altering military conflict.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #135
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
The only "solution" to the ongoing problem of a dictatorship controlling the worlds largest ascendant economy is going to come internally. Unless everyone here is ready to go into a world altering military conflict.
Repatriating our manufacturing would be a good start.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #136
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Repatriating our manufacturing would be a good start.
We will need to hike up import tariffs on Chinese imports or there will always be manufacturers/suppliers that would use China made goods to undercut local made goods.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #137
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

burning all my fake jerseys
Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #138
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
burning all my fake jerseys
I've grown pretty attached to my Igilna
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:03 AM   #139
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burning the Jersey just means you’ll have to buy a new fake one when the season starts in 3 years ��
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #140
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Reminds me of the '04-05 lockout. We all knew the season was cooked by late january but the league didn't announce the cancellation until February 16.
The 94-95 lockout was nearly canceled that season. It was on Jan. 11 when the lockout ended. The 12-13 lockout ended on Jan. 6.