Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I understand but don't understand why some are pining to bring back Darryl, and I'm a huge Darryl fan. It seems like every time a coach thread comes up at least a couple people mention him. But this 2020 team is like the polar opposite of the last Flames team he coached.

Iggy, Reg, Kipper, and bunch of castoffs playing the left-wing lock and smashing teams into submission while playing to win 1-0 was freaking awesome, and Darryl was the perfect coach for that style. His LA teams were big, heavy teams as well. What exactly would he bring to the table with a roster of under-sized skilled speedsters?

I wish the Flames could get Torts.
I think this gets overstated a bit. Before 2004, I wouldn’t have guessed that guys like Conroy, Mccammond, Donovan, Leopold, Lydman were “Sutter” types.

Darryl just finds a way to get the best defensively out of his players.

Plus I don’t think the Flames are necessarily devoid of the stereotypical “Sutter type”. Tkachuk would be a Sutter poster boy as would Lindholm. Sutter drafted Backlund and traded for Lucic.

Mangiapane and Dube, while small, are pretty gritty guys.

What makes Sutter such a good coach isn’t because he invented it perfected the left wing lock, it’s because he can adapt to game situations and read the game, something that the Flames have been missing in a coach since Hartley.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #82
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I think they can try. That being said, I think there will be major changes in the off-season if they don't make the playoffs and win a couple of rounds.

Not sure if they can build a system around players who may not be here next season.
I would be wary about making major changes with the roster before hiring a new coach. Ward is the third "iffy" coach in a row (giving Peters credit for last years record).

I think it is pretty clear we win't be winning a couple of rounds, as much as I would like to hope.

If they plan to keep Ward, make changes. If they are hiring a new coach, I'd either bring him in now and see what he says at the end of the season and go from there. Of course, that all depends on if an experienced coach is hired. If they go with another new one, I don't think it will matter.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #83
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From Boudreau’s interview with Athletic

Quote:
“So from 2004 basically ‘til now, I’ve never gone a week without working. Now, this timing, there’s no way that anything can happen ‘til maybe the end of the season. So for the first time I’m sitting down not knowing my future.”
So just hunker down for 1.5 more months of Ward wackiness, and then we’ll see who’s coming in with the revamped squad.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #84
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

So just hunker down for 1.5 more months of Ward wackiness, and then we’ll see who’s coming in with the revamped squad.
I would say the Flames would have a window of about 24h from now to make this move to BB.

First and foremost, it would have to be the exact same move they would make in the offseason, without hesitation.I would prefer Gallant but I’d take BB over Laviolette, if those were the only 3 guys to choose from. It won’t be and it isn’t, but if BB is BT’s guy, like BP was long before BT hired him, then no reason not to do that move immediately.

Reason being, they have a stretch of time off here after today, the longest amount of time off between games for the rest of the season.

But I don’t think BB is BT’s ultimate target insofar as orchestrating such a big move with 21 games to go, so this won’t happen.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

This is why I was saying it was unrealistic to expect the Flames to go out and hire a new coach this late in the season. It's simply way too late for a new coach to be brought in.

Pretty candid interview though and anyone with the Athletic should give it a read. He and his family knew he wasn't likely to have his contract renewed at the end of the year and even in a lame duck situation he had the team playing well.

Quote:
“We knew (he’d be fired) at the end of the year, but at this point, we thought it would definitely be the end of the year,” Crystal said.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-17-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote