Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #41
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not all about attitude. You can't attitude your way out of an unreasonable work/life balance and you can't attitude your way out of unfair compensation.
You’re so wrong. The *only* way out of those things is through your own attitude.

You either decide it’s in your control and you change it. Or it forever isn’t, you moan, and it stays the same. RIP
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
You’re so wrong. The *only* way out of those things is through your own attitude.

You either decide it’s in your control and you change it. Or it forever isn’t, you moan, and it stays the same. RIP
Yeah I think we're saying similar things. If you are being overworked and underpaid, or if they're heaping responsibilities on you without a commiserate increase in compensation, then you should leave. Putting on a happy face and doing what you're told is dumb.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #43
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
This. Consider it a growth opportunity.
Pretty much this, my boss took a prolonged medical leave a couple years ago. His boss asked me how he could help, I said stay out of my way. Overall it was very good for my reputation, and I've been put on a number of prestigious projects since.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Pretty much this, my boss took a prolonged medical leave a couple years ago. His boss asked me how he could help, I said stay out of my way. Overall it was very good for my reputation, and I've been put on a number of prestigious projects since.
Guys. Hard work can pay off. It often doesn't. Be hesitant of allowing more work and stress into your life without being compensated. I would also care way less about the 'prestige' of a job than how it would help my family get ahead.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #45
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys really make me appreciate being self employed and solo.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #46
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can I clarify whether you're saying you're just 3 years in an office role (and maybe 10+ years of experience before that) or you're actually 3 years into your career?

If it's the former, then I think you decide what's best for yourself. You know what your ambition level is and whether this is something you want to pursue. Know that bitching will definitely affect your reputation, but at this point in your career you know what is important to you.

If you're three years into your career, then I think you are being absolutely ridiculous. You're at a point in your career where you are completely replaceable. People that do exactly what they are told to do and not an inch more are a dime a dozen.

You are getting leadership experience 3 years into your career, when most people won't even have that opportunity until 5-7 years in, and you are complaining that you won't get paid extra.

Frick, 3 years into your career, what are you even making? What's an extra 5% for you right now in terms of permanently cashing in your reputation?

For me, thinking long term has worked out - the extra responsibilities I took on early in my career translated into multiple promotions with 20-30% raises later on. My advice is really to learn as much as possible and get as broad of an experience as possible. It will pay off for you.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #47
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you were the only person they approached about backfilling for your boss and they are willing to give you acting pay or alternative compensation, that's generally a good sign of what they think your potential is.

If they're trying to share your bosses workload across multiple people and there is no exclusivity or clear bonus, it's probably just management being cheap while they wait for your boss to return.

Also consider how badly you need this job, whether or not you want to progress to more senior roles, and how much you like and trust your bosses boss (and vice-versa)
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #48
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guys. Hard work can pay off. It often doesn't. Be hesitant of allowing more work and stress into your life without being compensated. I would also care way less about the 'prestige' of a job than how it would help my family get ahead.
I'm totally on your side with this one. Don't be a slave for a company.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #49
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

You mention spread out against a few of you, it’s not like you’re absorbing the whole workload which I’m sure a lot of us here know that exact feeling.

Just have a discussion within your team, set clear decisive expectations, decide on a plan and move forward. You’re young and still in the early part of your years, you’re expected to take on additional work and grow from it. Being in a small company, you’re expected more so on top of that.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #50
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This has been an interesting thread, just curious which one of you trolls started it...?
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #51
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm totally on your side with this one. Don't be a slave for a company.
Agreed. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of people who are quick to say it's a good opportunity and to shut up and accept it. I know we are all feel lucky to have well paying jobs in Canada compared to other places. But to me that reeks of people who have been traumatized by living through various recessions where people they know/themselves have lost their jobs and they think everyone be happy to simply have a job.

To a certain extent that is true, but employers nowadays are taking advantage of that mentality to get more work out of their workers for less pay, now more then ever. A lot also depends on OP's situation. If he is a junior level worker looking to improve his skillset and make his name known throughout the company, then I agree with accepting the additional work with no argument. When you're the new guy or a fresh graduate, it's good to get your feet wet by getting to know all aspects of the company.

However if you're a 20 year vet with a long service record and family to take care of, you absolutely 100% ask for additional compensation. Remember, you're not a volunteer. As a blue collar worker your #1 objective isn't to do the company any favors or to try to save the company money. You're #1 objective is to earn a living to support yourself, and you do that by earning fair compensation for the work you do.

Last year we had some people leave my company and first thing the boss told me I was expected to pick up some of the slack, as no new hire was going to happen. I had already said yes to doing that the year before when someone left so I was fully loaded with work everyday. But now I was expected to have the responsibilities of 3 people with this request. I'm a pretty good ''yes man'' at my work and I know my boss was fully expecting me to comply. But this wasn't acceptable to me any longer. I straight up told him I expect additional compensation for doing this extra work. I told him if I wasn't paid accordingly, I would transfer to another position. While I wasn't given anything extra (doesn't hurt to ask), his refusal set the wheels in motion for me to get a new job with more pay and less stressful work a couple months later. Had I agreed to what he asked me, I would have been doing the work for 3 people for less pay then what I make now and living a life of stress.

Don't ever be a slave to the company and think that you will be rewarded for your eagerness to help. I've learned over the past decade and a half at my company that the real world doesn't work that way, and when it does happen it's few and far in between. That is especially true for large companies where you are simply a cell in a spreadsheet. The ONLY person who benefits from that is your own boss who can now tell his boss that he managed to save money by not hiring someone else and yet found a way to get the work done.

A good motto to live by is do your co-workers and work friend's favors to help out the team. But never ever do the company a favor because very rarely will they do the same for you.

This isn't some Asian country that is allowed to overwork their workers to keep costs low. This is Canada and you are entitled to fair pay for the work you do.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #52
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
This has been an interesting thread, just curious which one of you trolls started it...?
uh, you can look at the first post to see who started it.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #53
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
If you're three years into your career, then I think you are being absolutely ridiculous. You're at a point in your career where you are completely replaceable. People that do exactly what they are told to do and not an inch more are a dime a dozen.

You are getting leadership experience 3 years into your career, when most people won't even have that opportunity until 5-7 years in, and you are complaining that you won't get paid extra.

Frick, 3 years into your career, what are you even making? What's an extra 5% for you right now in terms of permanently cashing in your reputation?

For me, thinking long term has worked out - the extra responsibilities I took on early in my career translated into multiple promotions with 20-30% raises later on. My advice is really to learn as much as possible and get as broad of an experience as possible. It will pay off for you.
At what cost? Everything?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #54
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
At what cost? Everything?

If I were the OP, I would say yes to the extra responsibility and then immediately begin looking for another job. You make yourself irreplaceable by giving yourself options.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #55
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
If I were the OP, I would say yes to the extra responsibility and then immediately begin looking for another job. You make yourself irreplaceable by giving yourself options.
Agreed, unless you really like the opportunity. Earlier I suggested taking the responsibility and evaluating it over time, then asking for a raise to compensate if those roles/skills learned are still benefitting the company. That was assuming all positives though. Since then there have been some well said disclaimers in this thread, that it isn’t worth it if you’re miserable. You should have to work hard, but you shouldn’t be miserable.

If OP is as junior as it sounds, you’re probably already doing more work than the boss anyway. Should be a breeze to take a piece and learn from it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #56
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am surprised more people aren't recommending the OP to take the opportunity and run with it, notwithstanding it will be more work. Obviously depends on the OP's ambition, but this is a great opportunity to show what you can do and stretch your capabilities. If the current company doesn't appreciate it, another will, as it will add to your resume.

I mean, if your current role is so satisfying that you don't want to do more, then fine. I would hope your boss' work is more interesting that what you currently do.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #57
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I am surprised more people aren't recommending the OP to take the opportunity and run with it, notwithstanding it will be more work. Obviously depends on the OP's ambition, but this is a great opportunity to show what you can do and stretch your capabilities. If the current company doesn't appreciate it, another will, as it will add to your resume.

I mean, if your current role is so satisfying that you don't want to do more, then fine. I would hope your boss' work is more interesting that what you currently do.

Ambition is key. I think giving yourself other opportunities outside of your current role is key if only to give yourself more leverage when the salary conversation comes around.

I made a thread awhile back bringing up some problems I was having with making a decision over a career switch. The advice that rang most resonant was to look out for myself first. I took it and I'm very glad that I did.

Sometimes you take the opportunity, run with it, and get that promotion with a 20% raise. Sometimes you take the opportunity and have it blow up in your face because of unrealistic expectations, poor support from upper management, or sheer laziness/ingratitude on behalf of your employer. Both situations have happened to me.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #58
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Opportunities outside the current role is great, I take no issue with that. If an employee doesn't take the opportunity afforded to him/her currently, I don't see how outside opportunities will develop. Not that anyone would admit to it, but indicating dissatisfaction with the current job because they asked him to do some of his boss' job, will not go over well.

Maybe because the oilpatch is so grim right now, but I am of the view you have to make the best of your current situation. Doing more should give the employer more confidence in you, and it certainly should give yourself more confidence in your own abilities.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #59
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Opportunities outside the current role is great, I take no issue with that. If an employee doesn't take the opportunity afforded to him/her currently, I don't see how outside opportunities will develop. Not that anyone would admit to it, but indicating dissatisfaction with the current job because they asked him to do some of his boss' job, will not go over well.

Maybe because the oilpatch is so grim right now, but I am of the view you have to make the best of your current situation. Doing more should give the employer more confidence in you, and it certainly should give yourself more confidence in your own abilities.

I'm not disputing that, and given the current state in Alberta, I would be conservative too. Then again, I did leave the province partially to find better opportunities in BC (there was also a bad marriage, but let's not go there).

To your other point, I would never ever express dissatisfaction about anything to my employer. Either you move seamlessly or you stick it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #60
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
When I said prestige,

It's more like getting to work on more interesting projects than I am having more fun working on, and giving me access to very senior people. While passing off some day to day tasks on junior people in my department.

I think if you want to become one of the senior people in an organization that is the type of things you want to be doing.