Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #481
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
maybe i should put this in the u.s. politics thread... naaahhh... don't really want to venture in there! ha! ha!

kenobi2020 by bc-chris, on Flickr
I think they're pinning a lot of unsubstantiated hope on Obi-Wan there.

I think if he got that holo-message he'd reply with a solid 'Nope' accompanied by a lightsaber-drop and resume his life of hermitage and solitude in a miserable place in the Galaxy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #482
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the new Clone Wars episodes, especially the Ashoka ones.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #483
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
maybe i should put this in the u.s. politics thread... naaahhh... don't really want to venture in there! ha! ha!

kenobi2020 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Nooo-ough-ough-ough, there-ough, is-ough-ough another skkskkskyw..oooouuuuuugh.

Spoiler!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #485
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like Ahsoka is going to get recruited by Bo Katern and that's how she ends up on Mandalore with Anakin. Overall a pretty decent action filled episode.

I expect that the last chapter starts next week with the resolution of Rex and Ahsoka's time during Orda 66.

I still think we're heading for massive heartbreak. I really want to see what happens with Cody though, I know that probably won't be answered as he ends up with Kenobi.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #486
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its weird, I broke another two Star Wars traditions. Normally when a new Star Wars movie comes out on DVD I'll buy it.

Just to put it out there.

I own all of the prequel trilogies, all of the OT, I own TFA and TLJ, I own Clone Wars and Rebels, I even have a boot leg of the Christmas special, but I can't find my VHS copies of the Ewok Adventures. But I have no desire to buy Rise of Skywalker. On top of that, it just came out on Shaw, and I have no desire to watch it.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #487
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I though TLJ was pretty bad for being a movie that really didn't get what the basis of the Star Wars universe was supposed to be. But Rise of the Skywalker was even worse in this regard. I spent way too much of the movie, right out of the gates, saying to myself that whatever was happening on the screen was ret-conning too much of the original movies.

It actually made me want to watch the originals less than before, and for that reason alone it will not be a part of my 2 VHS copies, 2 DVD copies of the originals, and 1 DVD copies of the prequels.

The sequels are exorcised from my memory.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you bought TLJ you may as well shell out for the Rise of Skywalker. Sure it's an average/below average Star Wars movie but at the very least is masks a bit of the TLJ stink. Still the damage is done and Disney would be well served to shelve the films until they can find a showrunner with a vision who is allowed to see it through without the boardroom committee approach that has put the franchise into a tailspin.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #489
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was funny, I was looking through youtube, and there was a girl that got into playing fallen order, and she loved the game, but didn't understand the story behind it, and she decided she needed to watch the Star Wars trilogy.

She started with the original trilogy, and she loved it, and fell in love with Obi-Wan and Leia and Han as characters, Then she started watching the prequels. She hated Anakin in AOTC, because she felt that he was a jerk and an ego manic, but she admitted that she liked the first two movies. She loved ROTS, and she was refreshing because she got past a lot of the nitpicking and liked the fall of Anakin, and she loved Padme.

Then she watched the ST, and the first thing that she said was that the ST was basically a retelling of the original trilogy which was fine, she thought that the ST ripped huge holes in the OT, and while she liked Ben Solo, she thought that he like Anakin was really not redeemable, Anakin because of the slaughters that he did including children, and Ben because he killed his father, and bascially was disloyal to everyone.

She loved Rogue One, but was devestated that everyone died. She didn't like Solo all that much, and now she's going to watch The Clone Wars.

But it was fun watching someone that wasn't Lore obsessed.

Oh and when Vader came out of the mists in Fallen Order she didn't know who he was, except he was a nightmare.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #490
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, the movies have always been the core of anything Star Wars.

Anything outside of that exists, but it's the equivalent of the Kelvin timeline.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #491
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, right after saying to myself that I'll never watch the sequels again, I kind of did, by watching this two hour review. I wasn't going to watch more than five minutes of it, but then it started hitting what really bothered me while watching the actual movie, and didn't stop with the accuracy.

I'll just leave it here in case anyone is interested.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #492
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of announcements from Disney+ coming for May the 4th...

Talking Mando

TROS on Disney+ along with all the other films (which are already there, so you could start your re-watch now) starting next Monday

Old 04-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #493
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought I'd be more excited by this announcement. Its funny, when ROS came out on Shaw, I looked at it, and basically said, I don't think I want to pay the 7 bucks to watch it, I'll wait for it on the Disney Channel.

The good thing is there's a ton of content coming this weekend for Star Wars. The second to last episode of Clone Wars, The Mandalorian roundtable that I'm really looking forward to and ROS. Out of those three events, ROS is the one I'm least excited about. But its nice to have all of those movies and content in one place.

Oh for those that are interested I found a youtube channel with all of the DVD, Laser disk and other bonus content for all of the Star Wars movies and the Clone Wars DVD's. They're really interesting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPF...x8Sv1B6PF8Vw9g

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #494
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha, I just shelled out the $6 to watch Episode 9 last weekend. Oh well. $6 rental on Google Play was still cheaper than it would have cost me to see in the theaters. I thought the movie was entertaining enough. I'm not sure if spoiler tags are still required, but let's just say when they tried to right a wrong from the ending of episode 4 I fell out of my chair laughing. My wife had no idea what was going on.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #495
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Do you have enough cash to own a piece of Star Wars/cinema history. 149 signatures from the cast and crew.

Bob Anderson, Chris Anderson, Alen Austen, Charlie Bailey, Kenny Baker, Carl Bang, Craig Barron, Bill Beck, Dave Berry, Jon Berg, Doug Beswick, Don Bies, Patricia Blau, Jim Bloom, Bruce Boa, Richard Bonehill, Jeremy Bulloch, Jane Busby, Trevor Butterfield, Stephen Calcutt, Dave Carson, Chris Cassady, Norman Chancer, Ken Colley, Michael Culver, Anthony Daniels, Sandy Dhuyvetter, Peter Diamond, Dick Dova, Jim Dowdall, Nick Dudman, Patricia Rose Duignan, Dwayne Dunham, Ian Durrant, Selwyn Eddy III, Richard Edlund, Mike Edmonds, Harrison Ellenshaw, Stephanie English, Chris Evans, Robert Finley III, Richard Fish, Carrie Fisher, Stephen Fitzalan, Alan Flying, Harrison Ford, Kay Freeborn, Stuart Freeborn, Wendy Froud, Mike Fulmer, Vic Gallucci, Steve Gawley, Joe Gibson, Geoff Glover, Julian Glover, Mark Hamill, Bill Hargreaves, Alan Harris, Ray Hassett, Sigbjørn Henanger, Kit Hiller, Ed Hirsch, Paul Hirsch, John Hollis, Ron Hone, Mike Houston, Paul Huston, Paul Jericho, Milton Johns, Brian Johnson, Joe Johnston, James Earl Jones, Lawrence Kasdan, Irvin Kershner, Colin Kitchens, Kim Knowlton, Neil Krepela, Peter Kuran , Gary Kurtz, Melissa Kurtz, Tiffany Kurtz, Denis Lawson, Ian Liston, Brian Lofthouse, Vance Lorenzini, Dennis Lowe, George Lucas, Mike MacKenzie, Christopher Malcolm, Nick Maley, Scott Marshall, Peter Mayhew, Jack McKenzie, Kieran McNamara, Digby Milner, John Modridge, Ted Moehnke, John Mollo, Catherine Monroe, Thaine Morris, John Morton, Brian Muir, Dennis Muren, Terrence Mustoo, Roger Nichols, Bruce Nicholson, Richard Oldfield, Ease Owyeung, Frank Oz, John Pakenham, Udo Pampel, Michael Pangrazio, Chris Parsons, Lorne Peterson, Quentin Pierre, Kelvin Pike, Dave Prowse, Ron Punter, Ken Ralston, John Ratzenberger, Clive Reville, Norman Reynolds, Doug Robinson, Nilo Rodis-Jamero, Deep Roy, Michael Sheard, Colin Skeaping, Tony Smart, Thomas Smith, Tom St. Amand, Barry Summerford, Peter Suschitzky, Alan Swaden, Keith Swaden, Randy Thom, Marc Thorpe, Phil Tippett, Alan Tompkins,Marilyn Turk, Ole Kristian Uglum, Rune Vindenes, Joe Viskocil, Gary Waller, Robert Watts, Howie Weed, Bill Westley, Billy Dee Williams, Jason Wingreen and Samuel Zoltheis.

https://www.iconicauctions.com/A_Gal...LOT100590.aspx
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #496
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney just killed an experiment that someone did on Youtube, which had all nine movies playing simultaneously from beginning to end in tiny windows, audio and all. It really made stark contrast of the pacing problems in the movies that everyone ended up hating. Other than the seizure inducing nature of it, the value of seeing that run was through the roof, and I'm sad that they took it down. About 750K people managed to catch it.

The problem may have been TLJ being so long, and John Williams score being identifiable causing the copyright infringement. Or Disney being #######s.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #497
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So out of having not much better to do, I broke down and bought the 8 book series of comics based around The Star Wars the original script written by George Lucas. Its a facinating look at how Lucas' concepts for a GFFA evolved into what we saw as a New Hope.

I would almost recommend that anyone that's a star wars fan pick it up because its so completely different then the movies. Sure there's a Death Star and a Emperor and Darth Vader does make a sort of appearance in it, and we get some characters in name only but other then that its a completely different story in a lot of ways because of a New Hope Completely bizarre.

The first thing that you notice is that there are Jedi, though they're called the Jedi Bendu, and there are Lords of the Sith. The Jedi were a sect of warriors who's main job was to protect the Emperor. The Sith were their rivals. While there was a Force, it didn't really manifest itself in the same way as we saw in the movies. There were no chocking people from across the room, throwing objects at each other with their brains. Instead the Jedi and the Sith were just warriors bound to different codes.

The other thing that stands out is that well um, Light Saber's weren't a special mystical weapon. Frankly everyone was stumbling around the galaxy with one, the Storm Troopers, and even Han Solo had one.

In terms of characters you do see familiar faces. There was Anikan Star Killer, who was the son of Kane Starkiller a former Jedi-Bendu. Early in the story the StarKillers including Anikan's brother were ambushed by a Knight of the Sith who kills Anikan's brother. We also see Kane who is more machine then man sacrifice himself later.

We meet Luke Skywalker an old grizzled and somewhat bitter General, later Anikan serves under him almost like an apprentice though Luke is not a Jedi.

We meet Princess Leia of Aquilae the plucky hero's side kick who eventually becomes the Queen when her father dies.

Han Solo was in there too, however he was a 7 foot green alien that looked like Zeb from Rebels. He didn't know how to pilot a ship, but he swung a mean light saber.

We also meet Owen and Lar's Beru who are two anthropologists who live in harmony with the wookies.

On the Villain's side of things we do have Emperor Palpatine who decides that the Empire has to attack Aquilae for its cloning technology and to punish them for leaving the Empire.

We have Darth Vader who is not a Knight of the Sith, instead he's just a general that doesn't have a mask but wears a helmet that looks like Vader's helmet from the movie. He makes sporadic appearances and shows he's evil by trying to brain wash Leia to make her compliant to the Emperor's designs.

There is Lord Valorium who is a Dark Lord of the Sith there to keep Vader in Line, but in the end he betrays Vader and saves Anikan because he feels the Empire has acted without honor.

There is a Death Star but its not a planet killer, instead its basically just a floating fortress that can bombard planets. Its destroyed in the end Luke Skywalker leads a fighter raid using stolen Imperial fighters piloted by Wookies with Chewbacca who never meets Han.

While the plot line is completely different and at times insane, there are some similar scenes to the movie. R2D2 and C3PO are in the movie as they escape from the Death Star during an attack. C3PO is a loyal Imperial Droid but they do walk across the desert, but outside of that they really don't have a significant role. Luke does infiltrate the Death Star to save Leia, however in this case he's captured, and Darth Vader orders his execution, which is when Valorum betrays Vader and saves Luke.

Oh and when the death Star is blowed up, Vader dies. The Emperors plans are thwarted and Leia becomes the Queen with Anikan as her loyal body guard.

The art work itself is everything you'd expect out of a Dark Horse comic.

Oh and did I tell you that Star Destroyers were tiny one man triangular fighters.

Leia falls head over heels with Anikan, but when she makes a move he tells her to get lost because he's dedicated to becoming a Jedi. I'm not exaggerating when he almost in not as many words tells her to go F$$$ herself. Later on though they do work out, which if put in perspective of today's Star Wars is a even creepier father daughter romance instead of a brother sister romance.

However just to go deeper into the crazy, earlier on Anikan is sent to pick up Leia from space college because of the impending attack by the Empire. But Leia informs him that she's not leaving and Anikan punches her in the face knocks her out and throws her in his speeder like a bag of potatoes/

Oh and R2D2 speaks plain English is a sarcastic and grumpy little Tin Can who is not as lovable and endearing as the R2D2 that we got later.

Alderaan does not get blown up, in fact in this script it is not a planet of well meaning humanists with no military. Its the seat of a vast Empire and home to the sinister Emperor who is not so much sinister as he is a run of the mill mustache twirling weak Emperor.

Its interesting to read this from the standpoint of getting a view into Lucas' head and how this script evolved into the movie that started off the GFFA.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #498
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Disney just killed an experiment that someone did on Youtube, which had all nine movies playing simultaneously from beginning to end in tiny windows, audio and all. It really made stark contrast of the pacing problems in the movies that everyone ended up hating. Other than the seizure inducing nature of it, the value of seeing that run was through the roof, and I'm sad that they took it down. About 750K people managed to catch it.

The problem may have been TLJ being so long, and John Williams score being identifiable causing the copyright infringement. Or Disney being #######s.
Disney also did this cartoonish ####

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/b...th-disney.html

Pretty sure you can't claim use of a hashtag
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #499
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny, say a lot of bad things about George, but when it came to stuff like online content and fan made creations, he actually encouraged it as long as you weren't blatantly using stuff to make money.

Paramount and Star Trek were incredibly vindictive about it, killing any fan made project whether they were trying to make money or not.

Under Disney they are really clamping down on fan for fun projects and even fan made movies.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #500
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the next theatrical film is in the works, with an Oscar winning MCU alumni and part-time Assassin Droid in charge: https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

Quote:
Academy Award® winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy Award® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.