Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #201
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rather than watching Insurrection, better to watch a few key episodes of TNG. I've been watching some of the essentials, especially those that tie into Picard (Making of a Man, borg episodes) - at its best TNG was great.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #202
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's official, Star Trek: Section 31 will start filming when ST: Disco season 3 wraps up. Looks like we'll have 3 simultaneously running Star Trek series going forward.
https://www.space.com/star-trek-sect...schedules.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #203
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So I watched Discovery S1 and thought it was pretty bad overall, but did have some decent parts. Never watched S2, but now that they're 1000 years in the future for S3 I'm thinking about giving the series another shot. Just how bad is S2 to slog through if I wanted to catch up?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #204
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So I watched Discovery S1 and thought it was pretty bad overall, but did have some decent parts. Never watched S2, but now that they're 1000 years in the future for S3 I'm thinking about giving the series another shot. Just how bad is S2 to slog through if I wanted to catch up?
The advantage of Season 2, and you'll have to bear with me here because I couldnt get through all of it either, the advantage appears to be that there are no resolutions, plots seem to have just been forgotten or dropped entirely so...nothing really matters.

So fire away on Season 3. What could go wrong?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You could probably skip season 2, all you need to know is that Michael solves absolutely every problem, Tilley drops the F-Bomb, and that Pike was the best part of the season.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #206
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You could probably skip season 2, all you need to know is that Michael solves absolutely every problem, Tilley drops the F-Bomb, and that Pike was the best part of the season.
They might as well have named the show Star Trek:Burnham. Writers basically shoved her into every fricking storyline imaginable and had her solve it magically like some pseudo-god. Writing for the both seasons were super uneven and most of the characters in Discovery were irritating as hell with the exception of Lorca, Pike, and Spock.

There are rumors they were planning a Pike and Spock show. Wonder if that'll end up happening now with the S31 on it's way.

Edit: Forgot to link the Pike and Spock show rumor link
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/02...oving-forward/

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-03-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
They might as well have named the show Star Trek:Burnham. Writers basically shoved her into every fricking storyline imaginable and had her solve it magically like some pseudo-god. Writing for the both seasons were super uneven and most of the characters in Discovery were irritating as hell with the exception of Lorca, Pike, and Spock.

There are rumors they were planning a Pike and Spock show. Wonder if that'll end up happening now with the S31 on it's way.

Edit: Forgot to link the Pike and Spock show rumor link
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/02...oving-forward/
Yeah, I dont know where they were going with that but I learned something about STD (<-Official Discovery Abbreviation BTW) pretty quickly...

The writers have no idea what they're doing and whats more, they sincerely couldnt care less.

I have on more than one occasion, as would anyone who has watched sufficient amounts of Star Trek, noticed when the writers are clearly talking out of their ass or just throwing crap at the wall and hoping for the best but this show takes it to an entirely different level.

Its like the show's official Mantra is: "#### it! Who cares?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #208
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The biggest irritant to me was that they had Michael as such an overpowering expert on all things that basically you always felt that the other crew members were there to be some kind of weird foil for her.

I mean how many times did she cut off Tilly or Stamets when they were brain storming ideas with a technobarble solution that implied we're doing it my way.

What I liked about the other Star Treks except for the last year of TNG, and Voyager, and Discovery is that they were very much ensemble shows, where every member of the crew was important and contributed. In Discovery it was very much the Michael Show, sure they would throw a bone every once in a while to other crew members but the main string was Michael had all of the brilliant crew saving solutions. In the last year of TNG it was the Data and Picard show. Riker was there to echo the Captains orders and play the trumbone or whatever, Worf to take a beating, Beverly to stuff, and Troi to do stuff. Voyager was really the Janeway 7 of 9 show.

At least with Picard we know from the start that this is all Picard, there really is no crew, the other characters are there to service Picard in this adventure.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #209
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The biggest irritant to me was that they had Michael as such an overpowering expert on all things that basically you always felt that the other crew members were there to be some kind of weird foil for her.

I mean how many times did she cut off Tilly or Stamets when they were brain storming ideas with a technobarble solution that implied we're doing it my way.

What I liked about the other Star Treks except for the last year of TNG, and Voyager, and Discovery is that they were very much ensemble shows, where every member of the crew was important and contributed. In Discovery it was very much the Michael Show, sure they would throw a bone every once in a while to other crew members but the main string was Michael had all of the brilliant crew saving solutions. In the last year of TNG it was the Data and Picard show. Riker was there to echo the Captains orders and play the trumbone or whatever, Worf to take a beating, Beverly to stuff, and Troi to do stuff. Voyager was really the Janeway 7 of 9 show.

At least with Picard we know from the start that this is all Picard, there really is no crew, the other characters are there to service Picard in this adventure.
Heaven forbid you get sick of the sassy holographic Doctor or the Foreign Chef...

Old 02-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #210
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Survey done on the Star Trek watchers to see if the favorite series and least favorite series were divided along generational lines. While there is some small divide on which series ended up as a "favorite" based on age group, all age groups were consistent in founding Discovery was their least favorite Star Trek series while DS9 and TNG were virtually tied and rated the best with DS9 having the best writing by a long shot. Movie wise Star Trek II and First Contact were consider the best ST Movies.

Few charts from the survey

https://medium.com/@kdwilson/is-star...s-10868dc7fa61

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-09-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #211
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn’t take someone seriously as a Star Trek fan if they listed TOS as their least favorite series. It’s like a Star Wars fan saying A New Hope is their least favorite movie.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #212
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are those slivers around TOS for least favourite? Is that some kind of demarcation or were there other series there?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #213
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing other less know series. Dont know which those are until the data gets released or the second part of the survey comes out.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #214
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - a new series following Anson Mount's Christopher Pike in command of the Enterprise, is official!

https://deadline.com/2020/05/star-tr...ss-1202935510/

I thought those characters were great in Discovery and am excited to see where this goes. I'm hoping it's more of a traditional Star Trek show.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #215
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see First Contact getting so much love in the best movie poll. Excellent film.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #216
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kind of shocked by that to be honest. Well I thought that First Contact was good. I far prefer the mid trilogy of Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home.

I also thought that Undiscovered Country was exceptional.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #217
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: dang fata
Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #218
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pike was the best part of Discovery's second season. They would have been crazy to not give him his own series.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #219
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It kind of felt like a backdoor pilot that lasted an entire season, because Pike and the Enterprise crew were far more interesting than the rest of the show. It's kind of sad, really. Michael Burnham is just too detestable a character and Sonequa Martin-Green is, frankly, not a good enough actor to carry Discovery.

Locke is right, the writers are throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks. Picard unfortunately has the same problem.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #220
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discovery season one was hot garbage, but I thought the second season was much improved, although that was likely the Captain Pike factor more than anything. Burnham can be a little annoying but I sure don't share some of stronger opinions about her some have expressed in this thread.

Having watched Picard twice through now I've come to the conclusion that Star Trek doesn't work as a ten-episode, ten-hour arc. DS9 worked because the serial continued from season to season and really took its time with both the plot and making sure all the different characters had a good share of screen time. In the 10-episode, 10-hour format nothing ever has to be resolved until the end and by then there is no way the payoff will be worth it because there is so much stuff that happened that makes no sense.

Hopefully the Captain Pike show is episodic, and not a huge, limp arc.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote