Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Retaining wall garage worth it?

I live in an older area 50 years old. Our back yard is sloped and fairly large 55 feet wide.

I’ve got some quotes for a 24 x 24 garage in the 45,000 range including the structurally engineered retaining wall which may be 6-8 feet high.

24 x24 being quotes for basic package at around $24,000.

Fairly significant amount of money if we were to do it would probably add a cement pad beside it since the sloped area is useless. Plus other things like gas rough in, insulation, drywall possible storage truss, 2x6 , 10 foot walls.
We have the room to create a even larger garage but with the costs doubtful we will go past 24x24.

So the question is do you think it’s worthwhile / a decent investment.

We could stay at this house for a very long time we like the area but it’s also not the biggest home 1172 sq plus 430 sq feet in basement.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Do you want a garage? If yes then build one. If you plan on staying for a long time it doesn’t matter.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say it's worth it.

45k sounds cheap considering the wall, and all the extras you mention. Unless you are building it yourself, and just paying for the concrete work.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

A 6-8 foot retaining wall and garage for 45k seems like a steal. The amount of concrete required for that is a lot. My friend just did a pad (24x24) and I think it costed him 12k and the package was around the same. He built it himself though.

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are also on a large sloped hill with 50 feet of frontage. We currently have an existing bunker style garage/shed from the early 50's that goes into the hill about 20 feet. Our lawn sits on top of the garage.

We considered and got quoted a number of options and the cheapest 2 car garage we were able to find was $170K. The excavation work and retaining wall work was very complex. Spitballing and without knowing I would say you are in for far more than $45K.

For reference the grade from the street to the back of the bunker probably would be a difference of 14 - 18 feet so we are talking a pretty serious slope.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
We are also on a large sloped hill with 50 feet of frontage. We currently have an existing bunker style garage/shed from the early 50's that goes into the hill about 20 feet. Our lawn sits on top of the garage.

We considered and got quoted a number of options and the cheapest 2 car garage we were able to find was $170K. The excavation work and retaining wall work was very complex. Spitballing and without knowing I would say you are in for far more than $45K.

For reference the grade from the street to the back of the bunker probably would be a difference of 14 - 18 feet so we are talking a pretty serious slope.
Our slope is probably closer to 6-10 feet. Two companies quoted in that price range give or take abit depending on features.

It’s a good amount of money but definitely a hell of a lot of work as well.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd say it's worth it.

45k sounds cheap considering the wall, and all the extras you mention. Unless you are building it yourself, and just paying for the concrete work.
45k would be the wall and garage basic package.

Quote was closer to 57-59k for extras and the extra cement pad.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to clarify, was that having someone build it, or you build it? I'm just wondering because a friend had one done a couple years ago and it was 40k assembled on a flat pad. I think the only extra was basic electrical. But maybe prices have come down, I know that was about the cheapest quote they could find for 24x24.

If you want to save some money you can do compacted road crush instead of an extra pad. It is quite firm, obviously not quite as nice, but no worry of future cracking.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are at the top of a hill and had giant retaining walls built for ours. We did a bunch of stuff at the same time so I don't recall what the garage cost on its own.

My advice would be to get the walls dug now before winter. Ours was done in the middle of that giant cold snap 2-3 years ago where it was -30 for most of January. They had to run ground heaters for a good week to get the ground unfrozen so they could dig and pour. That was a big annoyance as the machine ran 24/7 and had a very deep humming noise you could hear and sort of feel.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sell the house and get one with a garage.
These estimates are insane.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
No kidding! I gotta get into the concrete business!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just to clarify, was that having someone build it, or you build it? I'm just wondering because a friend had one done a couple years ago and it was 40k assembled on a flat pad. I think the only extra was basic electrical. But maybe prices have come down, I know that was about the cheapest quote they could find for 24x24.

If you want to save some money you can do compacted road crush instead of an extra pad. It is quite firm, obviously not quite as nice, but no worry of future cracking.
I would be doing nothing, not super handy and wouldn’t tackle a project that big and important haha.

I did think of that so it’s something to consider how much it reduces cost. When I mentioned the idea to my wife she was thinking just do full concrete if they are there and we are spending that much so well have to see. They would be extending the retaining wall for the pad as well.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that’s the thing if we build a garage we will be here for the long haul.

But a lot of trouble to switch houses over a garage.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Have you ever had anything custom made as a one off for you and your unique circumstances? Ever renovated? I mean, this is what stuff costs.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Have you ever had anything custom made as a one off for you and your unique circumstances? Ever renovated? I mean, this is what stuff costs.
Also nice to design aspects of it. Getting another house could be tricky finding a perfect place with a good bigger garage.

My parents have a garage that was like 20x20 and it was brutal
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #16
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's a house. Just get one that fits ur needs. Cheaper than spending a 100k to find parking for ur civic.

And yes, renovated two homes twice in the last few years. I also got free quotes.
Just a dig at another discussion where contractors voiced THEIR opinion
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post

I’d at least look around for a house with a garage. Managing a 50k construction project even with a GC will be just as painful as moving and finding a house. Once you determine that there isn’t a suitable option for moving then I’d revisit the construction project.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 09-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #18
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post

This is an episode of love it or list it.

I would say a garage is a perfectly normal reason to do a little house shopping. At a $50k investment, it’s maybe worth taking a look around.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Isn't $50k just a lateral house move with what a house costs these days? Realty fees, legal, and moving costs are going to wipe out a huge chunk of that. Plus, the hassle of moving is worse than building a garage in the backyard. It's not like his day-to-day life will be upset much just because a crew is ripping up his yard. It's still a little stressful of course, but again, no moreso than a move. Plus, you are adding value and desirability to your house, so the money hasn't evaporated. You'll probably get back 50% at least of what the garage costs when you eventually sell. You will also make your house attractive to a lot of buyers that wouldn't be interested without the garage. I say do it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, agree with Sliver. If you hire a decent crew they shouldn't take more than a couple months. If you do it now, the fall sucks anyway so you will have it ready for the winter (no more window scraping!) and it won't interrupt your summer.

And I've got a similar size house to you, just a bigger basement, and the extra space is great. I used to store all sorts of stuff, including my workshop in the basement. Now my wife will have a laundry room, which makes her happy.