Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #1181
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
The NHL should pick a single city, book out hotels, invite only select media. Test all personnel on every team multiple times to ensure no one is infected. And then just play the playoffs in front of zero fans. Close circuit the entire process so no one gets infected

Why: this is the least popular major sports league, with the best playoff intensity and there will soon be a captive audience globally watching on TV. Every sports channel would be dedicated to the NHL only. This is a once in 100 year opportunity to grow the game.
No, you're not going to break the gathering restrictions currently in place in most of North America - and risk the health of your players - out of some completely misguided effort to "grow the game." In fact, the NHL would get rightly criticized by everybody if they did something so stupid.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #1182
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Fox Sports approach with NASCAR and making the drivers play it through a video game. I mean it's obviously not the real thing, but at least you know it's the actual drivers like Dale Earnhardt Jr at the controller.

It'd be fun to make every team pick 5 players to play the rest of the season and playoffs out through NHL 20, 5v5 position lock (6 if you want to include the goalie but user goalie is hard and Ritter would be breaking controllers instead of sticks). Just for fun and minor bragging rights and to give the fans something to tune into. Maybe some charity donations involved, like NASCAR did.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #1183
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Formula One did the same thing and I was really pumped. They pulled a bait and switch however, with only one F1 driver showing up with the rest being youtubers and gamers.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #1184
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL should pick a single city, book out hotels, invite only select media. Test all personnel on every team multiple times to ensure no one is infected. And then just play the playoffs in front of zero fans. Close circuit the entire process so no one gets infected

Why: this is the least popular major sports league, with the best playoff intensity and there will soon be a captive audience globally watching on TV. Every sports channel would be dedicated to the NHL only. This is a once in 100 year opportunity to grow the game.

That would be a waste of tests.

Sports just isn't that important right now.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #1185
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When we get back to the new normal in May, games will be played in empty arenas
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #1186
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
America isnt going to be at the new normal in May

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1187
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The
@CFL
will announce today that it is postponing the opening of training camps indefinitely. Main camps were to open May 17th, rookie camps as early as May 11th. #CFL
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #1188
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MZy-2fcBw This doesn't have to do with sports, but it is an interesting perspective on this pandemic... I've been hesitant to post this elsewhere because I want to hear what other people think of this... I'm having a hard time poking holes in it, but I haven't really dug into whether his claims are correct... but he is a Stanford professor so I think he's pretty reputable.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #1189
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Full-time CSEC employees laid off.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #1190
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
That's optimistic. My company has already announced the earliest our office will re-open is June 1.

MLB is not expecting to start until late June or early July at the earliest. It's highly probable that neither the NBA nor the NHL expects to restart until then - at which point you may as well just cancel this season and prepare for a 2020-21 restart.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #1191
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...emic/?shawct=1
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #1192
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MZy-2fcBw This doesn't have to do with sports, but it is an interesting perspective on this pandemic... I've been hesitant to post this elsewhere because I want to hear what other people think of this... I'm having a hard time poking holes in it, but I haven't really dug into whether his claims are correct... but he is a Stanford professor so I think he's pretty reputable.
He makes a lot of good points. I think we all have to realize just how little we understand about this virus - our data is woefully incomplete, so it's hard to make informed long-term policy decisions.

In the short term, we have to do two things:
1) Ramp up the social distancing + lockdown measures until the spread stops. Figuring out what it takes to get this under control in a bunch of different countries will be crucial data to inform long-term decisions.
2) Ramp up serological testing until you can make an accurate assessment of the real infection rate.

Lots of studies out there with conflicting data and we really need to hone in on the truth. There's a huge difference between a virus with r0 = 2.5 and a 2% mortality rate from a virus with r0 = 7 and a 0.1% mortality rate, or a virus with r0 = 25 and a 0.05% mortality rate (and I've seen studies estimating it at all 3 places).
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #1193
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Thanks for posting, it's a worthwhile watch and I'll give my 2 cents from the perspective of a physician comfortable evaluating medical evidence (and as someone who has read a lot on Covid):

His points on population studies and why they are so important are salient. He gives a good summary on what as been done in Iceland and the small Italian town (don't recall the name). The cliff notes version is that by looking at large random populations, there are a number of asymptomatic individuals testing positive, who in turn lower the true mortality of the disease. He also discusses the Princess Diamond, where of 3500 aboard, 700 get infected and 7 die. He highlights how much we don't know about the virus. The actual mortality rate is most certainly below the 2-3% originally cited by the WHO, and most likely will fall below 1% in post hoc analyses.

Where he fails in his analysis is his evaluation of Italy (attributing disaster there to age, smoking, the soccer match, yada yada), and the appreciation to the degree Covid can potentially devastate ANY community. This is where Fauci has been much more astute. Mortality numbers at the end of the day may be more encouraging (between 0.1-1.0%), but there is so much more unquestioned morbidity from Covid than any Flu virus we have encountered. Every large city is seeing numbers of people age 30-50 admitted to hospital, many even needing ICU or intubation. See New Orleans (Mardi Gras?) See New York right now. See Seattle. See Wuhan. See Spain, see France. Don't think it can happen in Calgary? See what's happening in the town of Albany, Georgia, a city of less than 100k.

No one really knows, but right now by enforcing closures and social distancing we are buying time to hopefully start figuring this out. You do not need to be a doctor, scientist or epidemiologist to recognize that Covid has the ability to COLLAPSE a health care system like no other virus we have encountered in our lifetimes. I'll be back when I have a little more time to give my thoughts on where I think this is headed, again for whatever little that's worth...

Last edited by 2macinnis2; 03-30-2020 at 10:45 AM.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #1194
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
Thanks for posting, it's a worthwhile watch and I'll give my 2 cents from the perspective of a physician comfortable evaluating medical evidence (and as someone who has read a lot on Covid):

His points on population studies and why they are so important are salient. He gives a good summary on what as been done in Iceland and the small Italian town (don't recall the name). The cliff notes version is that by looking at large random populations, there are a number of asymptomatic individuals testing positive, who in turn lower the true mortality of the disease. He also discusses the Princess Diamond, where of 3500 aboard, 700 get infected and 7 die. He highlights how much we don't know about the virus. The actual mortality rate is most certainly below the 2-3% originally cited by the WHO, and most likely will fall below 1% in post hoc analyses.

Where he fails in his analysis is his evaluation of Italy (attributing disaster there to age, smoking, the soccer match, yada yada), and the appreciation to the degree Covid can potentially devastate ANY community. This is where Fauci has been much more astute. Mortality numbers at the end of the day may be more encouraging (between 0.1-1.0%), but there is so much more unquestioned morbidity from Covid than any Flu virus we have encountered. Every large city is seeing numbers of people age 30-50 admitted to hospital, many even needing ICU or intubation. See New Orleans (Mardi Gras?) See New York right now. See Seattle. See Wuhan. See Spain, see France. Don't think it can happen in Calgary? See what's happening in the town of Albany, Georgia, a city of less than 100k.

No one really knows, but right now by enforcing closures and social distancing we are buying time to hopefully start figuring this out. You do not need to be a doctor, scientist or epidemiologist to recognize that Covid has the ability to COLLAPSE a health care system like no other virus we have encountered in our lifetimes. I'll be back when I have a little more time to give my thoughts on where I think this is headed, again for whatever little that's worth...
Thank you, I really appreciate the thoughtful response and a physicians perspective. When looking at statistics it doesn't appear that very many people age 30-50 are reacting severely to the virus, not much more than regular influenza. The average age of death from COVID in Italy was 81... that is pretty much average life expectancy, and as he says it can be very difficult to tell whether it's death by COVID or death with COVID. I guess time will tell, and I think the main conclusion to draw from that video is that in order to ensure we react appropriately the data need to be properly analyzed.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #1195
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty much bang on
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #1196
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't a good start. Unless it shows that testing is effective at identifying and isolating players before it can spread.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-at-least-f...d-19-1.1483180
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #1197
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

How are the soccer leagues that are running able to function right now? Just saw that someone from PIT tested positive and all I could think was how its going to be nearly impossible to ensure all players are COVID-free when they are playing.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
How are the soccer leagues that are running able to function right now? Just saw that someone from PIT tested positive and all I could think was how its going to be nearly impossible to ensure all players are COVID-free when they are playing.
Well....its the Germans so likely with meticulous planning and careful attention to detail.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #1199
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1269651896572284928
Old 06-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #1200
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/rugby/story/_/i...rugby-aotearoa

Quote:
Crowds will be permitted to attend the opening round of Super Rugby Aotearoa this weekend, after New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed the country would shift to Alert Level 1 from midnight Monday [NZT].

YAY

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote