Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #241
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Figured this was the best thread to post these, as we could all use a good laugh right about now. Humor is good for the soul.

Courtesy of comedian Jon Lajoie ("Taco" from The League).

Taco Corp would have issued a cure by now! And you would have been able to get it out of a Van!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #242
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Wife wasn't doing so hot yesterday. Been home for 11 days now, extremely busy with the puppy at home and work at the same time, basically no socializing. Since I am still in good spirits I took the time to get home a little early, get the dog out for a run to calm him down, make her a nice dinner and let her relax with a glass of wine. Unfortunately it doesn't really help with the socializing but its about the best I could in these times and she really appreciated it.
Your dog drinks wine? Cool dog. 😉
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #243
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Wife wasn't doing so hot yesterday. Been home for 11 days now, extremely busy with the puppy at home and work at the same time, basically no socializing. Since I am still in good spirits I took the time to get home a little early, get the dog out for a run to calm him down, make her a nice dinner and let her relax with a glass of wine. Unfortunately it doesn't really help with the socializing but its about the best I could in these times and she really appreciated it.
Is she still talking to people via phone and video?

I’ve set up a weekly beer night with the same group I went for beer with regularly. We just drink beer alone on the phone with each other. It’s a pretty good facsimile.

I noticed I miss the 5 minute small talk conversations though.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #244
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember a New Years speech, given by the president of a large corporation years ago, when he quoted an old English doctor in the 1700s who wrote, "As bad as things are they will get better, and as good as things are, they will get worse". Not much has changed.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #245
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Living alone and grieving a loss, while not having the company of other loved ones has been exceptionally difficult.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #246
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Living alone and grieving a loss, while not having the company of other loved ones has been exceptionally difficult.
Hang in there Reg!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #247
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the overwhelming urge to learn to play cello.

And yeah, hang in there Reg !
Old 03-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #248
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/samharrisorg/sta...962687488?s=21

Here’s a free month of Sam Harris’ meditation app for anyone who may find it helpful. I’ve used it since its inception and it takes a bit of practice, but it’s a great tool for better understanding your mind and “getting off the ride”, so to speak (doubly important at times like these, I’d imagine).
Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #249
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, Max. I don’t always agree with Sam Harris but he’d be a good listen at this time, and that app sounds great!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #250
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Thanks for the well wishes.

Things are likely to remain about the same for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #251
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to really feel better through this, don't just find means to pass time.

Work on/cultivate hobbies. Expand your creativity somehow. Learn to meditate to calm erratic or chaotic thought streams. Monitor your thoughts when anxiety arises to see what mental thought loops you have that are creating that physical tension/unease that you carry into your work life on a normal day. Talk about it with someone you trust. Have more real conversations while nobody has much that's new to report. Don't binge on social media as it puts you in a reactive state as opposed to an observational one.

It's probably hardest to motivate yourself right now to do new or productive things being confined, but it makes it an opportunity to learn how to self motivate under the most adverse situation so that later when there are all the usual incentives that come with freedom it's way easier to do.

It's a really good time without distractions to gain a greater understanding of your internal habits and to learn to self soothe better without the external crutches that are so often just unhealthy distractions or detrimental addictions.

Also a good time to become better friends with your loved ones and use the uncertainty of it all to find more gratitude for those we do have in our lives.

A lot of people are being taken out of their comfort zone is some way through this but it's good cause that's the only place where growth occurs. Let's take full advantage of a situation we can't control and do some personal development so that when we all reunite under normal circumstances we are coming back as improved or enlightened in some way. Not just restarting the old cycle.

Think of what everybody can get out of this that they probably wouldnt have an opportunity to had normal life just gone on uninterrupted.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #252
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The last week has been difficult, hoping the family starts to adapt to this lifestyle for a little bit. Honestly haven't felt myself the last either, little more irritable, little more combative. Not good. The wife has been incredible during this time and dealing with an arguing family when she gets home isn't something anyone should have to deal with.

Going for walks, exercise, bike rides etc does wonders for the mental health. Get out when you can. Be smart about it but don't get cooped up. Those with kids, teenagers, understand that they're developing an independence and be patient. It's something we've tried to cultivate with our two and to stifle that isn't easy.

Thank you to those like (forgot-his-new-name ) and Reg for sharing their stories too.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #253
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been finding daily exercise to be really helpful the last few days. I started doing fitness circuits in the backyard (weather has been nice lately), 8 excercises a minute each, then repeat all 8. I'm good and tired by the end of it and get that sweet release of endorphins.

With all semblance of routine and normalcy gone, it's good to have something small and manageable to focus on, and if I can come out of this in better shape than I went in then that's a huge plus.

I also find that the simple act of announcing to my housemates that "I'm going to work out this morning/afternoon" is just enough accountability to keep me from spending all day on the laptop or video games.

Stay positive everyone!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #254
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife went to bed early tonight and I was ok with that. I think of myself as a social guy and I think today has caught up a bit with the staying home and what not stuff. My wife has it a lot worse as she has been working from home the last two weeks. I get the little reprieve of leaving the house to work (no socializing though).

So Been feeling a bit down tonight so I took the dog for a run and had a few scotch’s. Watched a few concerts on YouTube. Surfed the net some. But I think the biggest thing is I planned a “Oktoberfest” party with some some Friends for next Friday as something to look forward too. The biggest thing I’ve realized is there is nothing to look forward to anymore. No sports or activities or nights out so have to plan that stuff. M

Sorry for the slightly drunk rant.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:53 PM   #255
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drunk, desperate, depressed, dreary, disillusioned, down-in-the-dumps details don't disturb.

*Today's supportive acknowledgement is brought to you by the letter "D"
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #256
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Rough timing, sorry to hear.. and eventually time heals all wounds.

PM me if you would like to chat

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 03-30-2020 at 12:53 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:08 AM   #257
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know health comes before money but it would be nice if the financial markets just trended sideways for the next few weeks so people don’t have to worry about RSPs, other investments etc on top of other job and financial stresses.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:38 AM   #258
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Week 3 of Isolation.

I feel a sense of calm that I haven't felt in these past few weeks. The reality of the situation has finally hit home and that we will probably be in isolation for some time. At least until they are able to flatten the curve when it comes to this virus. I've gotten used to the routine of isolation and distancing should I need to get groceries. Can't believe a social person like me said that.

Everyone is hurting because of this and in a certain way it helps me to not feel alone in all this. We all have our struggles with isolation and how we deal with it.

I've been doing my daily routine where I go for a drive around town and then find a vacant spot facing the sun and the mountains where I can park and listen to music that I find soothing and helps to put me at ease with what is happening. Other times I go for a walk, far away from other people.

Today I saw a staff vehicle at my towns Rec Plex and took a chance that a woman I know might be in her office. I drove up to the outside of her office building window and was able to wave at her and see her smiling face. It was from the safe distance of my vehicle and I learned it was another way I found I can interact with people. I honk and wave at people walking their dogs or families out for a walk. They all smile and wave back. It's my way of showing people that we're all in this together.

It has helped to have my 83 year old mom with me. Hell will freeze over before I stick her in a home. Anyway she's a homebody for the most part but she goes with me sometimes when we need groceries. We watch a movie every night and tonight was "To Kill A Mockingbird". Over all we have someone to talk to and at the same our own personal space when we need it.

I stopped watching the supper news and the late news at 11PM. It was something I did religiously every night. There is so much info, both good and bad that it could throw a persons mind into a tizzy. It's something I don't want to feed my mind with right now. That said I do read the provincial updates and what we can or cannot do and the news updates on our forum.

I got an email this week from my golf course looking for volunteers with rakes to help clean up all the dead fall when the snow has melted. Now i'm not sure if the course will be able to do this, but if they can I will be helping just to get some exercise in.

I've watched and talked to friends who had their businesses in this small town shutdown. Like me they've come to a realisation that this could go on for quite awhile. All you can do is hope for better days and one day we will have a hellava party when this is over.

One day at a time is how we have to deal with this.

Be safe. Be well and be kind to one another.

Most of all reach out to friends and family on a regular basis and let them know they are not alone in this.

Last edited by Dion; 03-31-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:27 AM   #259
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I make a conscious effort to smile/nod/wave/chat/share a kind word with every person I come in any contact with. I do not expect this helps anyone a great deal, but little things sometimes add up and do help. Maybe it only helps me.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I make a conscious effort to smile/nod/wave/chat/share a kind word with every person I come in any contact with. I do not expect this helps anyone a great deal, but little things sometimes add up and do help. Maybe it only helps me.
I went for a run on Sunday. Usually you get one or 2 nods or acknowledgments. But everyone I ran passed had a smile, a nod, a wave....it was unusual.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: