Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #5381
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ness-1.5512151
75% wage subsidies for small/medium size businesses. Not sure of the criteria, as this will be hashed out on Monday. Seems promising to many companies like my own. Crossing my fingers for Monday.
I hope they drop the CCPC part of it. Almost my entire company would be saved with a 75% wage subsidy, but all 25 or so of us are probably screwed because of foreign ownership. So we will all likely be on EI by April 15th.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #5382
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Alberta specific. But Whiting Petroleum in the US just filed for bankruptcy. 30MMbbl production. First of many I imagine.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #5383
chedder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not Alberta specific. But Whiting Petroleum in the US just filed for bankruptcy. 30MMbbl production. First of many I imagine.
Not before paying out millions in bonuses to executives. Pretty disgusting

https://twitter.com/ericnuttall/stat...826546176?s=19
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #5384
Samonadreau
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Read somewhere that the ceo/cfo gave themselves like $15M in bonuses and then filed for chapter 11.

edit: beaten
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #5385
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

https://twitter.com/ericnuttall/stat...826546176?s=19
Not quite the same thing, but Anadarko's executives boosted their pay and, I believe, change of control payouts just a few days before Anadarko announced a takeover by Chevron (which ended up being OXY). Either way, the execs made out like bandits.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #5386
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
I hope they drop the CCPC part of it. Almost my entire company would be saved with a 75% wage subsidy, but all 25 or so of us are probably screwed because of foreign ownership. So we will all likely be on EI by April 15th.
I think they have? Last announcement basically said all employers.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #5387
Samonadreau
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Not quite the same thing, but Anadarko's executives boosted their pay and, I believe, change of control payouts just a few days before Anadarko announced a takeover by Chevron (which ended up being OXY). Either way, the execs made out like bandits.
I think Whiting's CEO was an ex Anadarko exec.......
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #5388
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That kind of activity by executive staff should be illegal but I have no idea how it could feasibly be implemented. Man... pretty gross.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #5389
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
That kind of activity by executive staff should be illegal but I have no idea how it could feasibly be implemented. Man... pretty gross.
I blame the board moreseo than the executive team. I imagine there will be repercussions for the directors.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #5390
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I think Whiting's CEO was an ex Anadarko exec.......
RIP that guy's next company. Modern day robber baron.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #5391
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I was reading that and noticed the CFO's name was Correne Loeffler, which is very close to Kelly Loeffler the Georgian Republican, who dumped a bunch of stock before right after the US govt briefings on corona virus, and bought some stock in a vpn provider. I think she may be under investigation.

But, anyways, back to Correne Loeffler, she was just hired in Aug. 2019.
Nice gig for a few months work
Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #5392
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was talking to one of our VP's and they stated we will likely not be eligible for the 75% subsidy as it will be difficult to prove Covid 19 was the reason for our revenue plunge. We're into spring breakup and activity drops to almost nothing this time of year and low oil prices have torpedoed most capital plans for 2020 so not much chance there will be a recovery in drilling activity on both sides of the border.

We'll try and argue Covid 19 is part of the reason for low oil prices and thus the low activity projections but are not optimistic that will fly. Even if it does we have already had significant layoffs and are implementing wage rollbacks. Those will not be reversed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #5393
Leondros
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Was talking to one of our VP's and they stated we will likely not be eligible for the 75% subsidy as it will be difficult to prove Covid 19 was the reason for our revenue plunge. We're into spring breakup and activity drops to almost nothing this time of year and low oil prices have torpedoed most capital plans for 2020 so not much chance there will be a recovery in drilling activity on both sides of the border.

We'll try and argue Covid 19 is part of the reason for low oil prices and thus the low activity projections but are not optimistic that will fly. Even if it does we have already had significant layoffs and are implementing wage rollbacks. Those will not be reversed.
Covid is guaranteed a large chunk of your revenue plunge irregardless of operational issues or otherwise. Most companies who are applying for the EDC and BDC $12.5M loans are being asked to provide March 2019 vs March 2020 financials. That should normalize your spring break-up predicament as both time frames should have experienced it.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #5394
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Covid is guaranteed a large chunk of your revenue plunge irregardless of operational issues or otherwise. Most companies who are applying for the EDC and BDC $12.5M loans are being asked to provide March 2019 vs March 2020 financials. That should normalize your spring break-up predicament as both time frames should have experienced it.
Yeah, what it says is you have to show a 30% decline from each month's financials using 2019 as a baseline.

My company acquired our business in Calgary in September so we're waiting to see how we can show our revenue decline. The Government website says there'll be flexibility and you can use a reasonable benchmark but really, it's all in the details.

We won't know for sure until Parliament is recalled and the legislation is put through so it's all a waiting game.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #5395
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I'm not sure a service company will be able to show a drop in March from 2019 to 2020 of 30% though. I know we won't be able to. But the next 3-6 months are going to be absolute hell.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #5396
Tiger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure a service company will be able to show a drop in March from 2019 to 2020 of 30% though. I know we won't be able to. But the next 3-6 months are going to be absolute hell.
Oh most will be able to show it. This is the worst I have ever seen in fracturing
Old 04-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #5397
you&me
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Oh most will be able to show it. This is the worst I have ever seen in fracturing
I think Weitz' point is that March is traditionally a very slow month, even in normal times, so there isn't much decline to demonstrate when only looking at March YoY...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #5398
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. March 2020 will look almost exactly like March 2019 for us. Same with April because activity always drops off at breakup. It's after that that all bets are off.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #5399
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

We shut down an entire oil sands asset today and laid off 15% of the company.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #5400
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your company rhyme with Bonovous? I heard through the rumour mill they were laying off no idea if true or magnitude.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote