Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #1541
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Ok, as a stopgap, sure. But if you have the budget for a $2500 TV you should eventually spend enough to get sound that matches the quality of the visual.
More than anything it’s mostly a matter of personal value. I get a lot of marginal enjoyment out of picture quality vs sound quality. I’m just looking for a bit of an improvement on the built in TV speakers, for dialogue in particular. The Vizio seems to really fit the bill. Might even just get the sound bar and avoid the 5.1. I really appreciate all the input.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #1542
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
More than anything it’s mostly a matter of personal value. I get a lot of marginal enjoyment out of picture quality vs sound quality. I’m just looking for a bit of an improvement on the built in TV speakers, for dialogue in particular. The Vizio seems to really fit the bill. Might even just get the sound bar and avoid the 5.1. I really appreciate all the input.
So something like this?

https://www.costco.ca/vizio-sb362an-...100455923.html

I don't know much about the 2.1 or whether built in sub is a good idea or not. Someone else may have to chime in for that. For 2.1, there's a ton more that is relatively competitive vs Vizio.

But for 5.1, the earlier Vizio set up is hands down one of the best values out there and it's ridiculously hard to beat value and performance wise.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #1543
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to up the budget a bit, something like the Klipsch R-15PM might be worth looking into. Can likely find them around $400. I'm also a huge proponent of a 2.0 or 2.1 system over a soundbar, but different strokes and all.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #1544
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #1545
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
If you want to up the budget a bit, something like the Klipsch R-15PM might be worth looking into. Can likely find them around $400. I'm also a huge proponent of a 2.0 or 2.1 system over a soundbar, but different strokes and all.

Its hard to convince people to go beyond sound bars, but hey at least people are at least buying those and not just using the TV built in sound.

I'm actually appreciative of the TV manufacturers spending less on sound and forcing consumers to actually think about buying a sound system, even if its soundbars (there are certainly pretty solid options these days, even if nothing compares to a real system.)

Last edited by Thor; 11-26-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #1546
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Its hard to convince people to go beyond sound bars, but hey at least people are at least buying those and not just using the TV built in sound.

I'm actually appreciative of the TV manufacturers spending less on sound and forcing consumers to actually think about buying a sound system, even if its soundbars (there are certainly pretty solid options these days, even if nothing compares to a real system.)
Interesting enough, I picked up a TCL 5 series for my main floor a few weeks back and I am pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. Was thinking of picking up a 2.1 soundbar for it but I don't think I am going to.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #1547
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone recall the code needed to get Shaw remotes to operate the Vizio soundbar volume? Had to swap out main box with a spare portal but the new remote isn't setup to control the volume.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #1548
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Does anyone recall the code needed to get Shaw remotes to operate the Vizio soundbar volume? Had to swap out main box with a spare portal but the new remote isn't setup to control the volume.
I don't have the code but how do you have it hooked up? I have the Vizio SB3651-E6 connected to an older Toshiba LCD TV using the HDMI-ARC port and HDMI-CEC turned on, so the Shaw remote need only control the TV and the volume on the Vizio is controlled through the TV using CEC.

Connections:
Vizio Soundbar HDMI (ARC) <-> TV HDMI 1(ARC)
Shaw Box > TV HDMI 2
Xbox One X > TV HDMI 3

It saved me having to fuss around with remote codes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #1549
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot to come back to this thread.

Ya, it's all fine now. I eventually figured it out but did have to program remote for the TV. That was easy enough. Man, I'd forgotten how bad tv speakers sound!

I really would love a new TV. My NEWEST is the only one in the house with ARC. Just spotted the manufacturers label, made in 2009 and it's our "newest"
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #1550
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

General question for the audiophiles:

I have logitech Z 5500's that I have a pair of Klipsch B10 bookshelf speakers hooked up to. I decided that I'm not going to use surround sound on my desktop, but I do listen to music on it a lot. So, is it worthwhile in a smaller space to have bigger floor standing speakers? Or is the point of those things simply to fill larger rooms?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #1551
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

GoinAllTheWay: The TCL 4 and 6-series on Amazon are pretty cheap right now (the 6-series is 27-32% off depending on size), and both should easily surpass the 2009 vintage TV you've got in most cases.

White Out 403: Usually you want to pick speakers that are appropriate to the size of room, or the imaging and sound quality will suffer. The B10s are meant for a small to medium room, so they should be fine for sitting anywhere from 6-10 feet away from them, with the Z5500's subwoofer handling the low-end frequencies. Floorstanders are for big rooms where you're going to be sitting a good distance away from them, think >=12 feet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #1552
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh.. If you want to use your bookshelf speakers properly you may want to get a receiver, and throw the logitech bit in the garbage. I don't think you're doing your speakers any service.
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #1553
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Ugh.. If you want to use your bookshelf speakers properly you may want to get a receiver, and throw the logitech bit in the garbage. I don't think you're doing your speakers any service.
Logitech z 5500s are the best piece of electronic ever built

Shame
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #1554
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
General question for the audiophiles:

I have logitech Z 5500's that I have a pair of Klipsch B10 bookshelf speakers hooked up to. I decided that I'm not going to use surround sound on my desktop, but I do listen to music on it a lot. So, is it worthwhile in a smaller space to have bigger floor standing speakers? Or is the point of those things simply to fill larger rooms?
What TorqueDog said, but I also can't help but wonder whether or not your bookshelf speakers are being powered properly by your Logitech Z 5500 set up.

https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Z-550.../dp/B0002WPSBC

According to this you're only putting out 64 watts to the speakers. The bookshelf speakers might not be performing to their potential with that little power.

If you don't need surround, you might be better off replacing the Z 5500 with a power amp that can supply 100W to your bookshelf speakers. Something like this shouldn't cost you more than $40-80 for the power amp. You also need some way to connect to the PC such as an RCA to 3.5mm cable or something like that.

I wouldn't necessarily say that would qualify as an audiophile set up though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #1555
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, powering the speakers would be a concern but since it was for a desktop setup, I was a little less concerned since it’s unlikely they’ll be turned up very much.

However, if an amp/receiver is the way forward, check if your motherboard has an optical out for audio, and use that if possible. That way, you use the superior DAC present in the receiver. The on-board DAC isn’t anything to write home about on the majority of boards, and you get the added benefit of reducing possible interference by keeping the signal digital as you shuttle it away from the PC.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #1556
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

From cost vs performance I can't say there's a better option. I got this set off marketplace for 120 bucks. The klipsch were 30 dollars from a while back. So for 150 I have the pre amp, the sub, and 2 bookshelf speakers. Could a dedicated amp help? Probably but then I'm having to buy a sub and receiver as well. I don't think I would be able to spend so little to justify any marginal gains in sound

I also don't think it's an audiophile setup. Was simply looking for advice from people who believe themselves knowledgeable about equipment. This is very much a low rent setup... But I think the results are really amazing for the price. I'm very much a value proposition buyer. I have Vizio tvs, I always go mid end on my PC but spend a lot of time making sure each part is exactly right, I buy clothes off amazon etc.

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-20-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #1557
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
From cost vs performance I can't say there's a better option. I got this set off marketplace for 120 bucks. The klipsch were 30 dollars from a while back. So for 150 I have the pre amp, the sub, and 2 bookshelf speakers. Could a dedicated amp help? Probably but then I'm having to buy a sub and receiver as well. I don't think I would be able to spend so little to justify any marginal gains in sound

I also don't think it's an audiophile setup. Was simply looking for advice from people who believe themselves knowledgeable about equipment. This is very much a low rent setup... But I think the results are really amazing for the price. I'm very much a value proposition buyer. I have Vizio tvs, I always go mid end on my PC but spend a lot of time making sure each part is exactly right, I buy clothes off amazon etc.
Fair enough, but the reason I was being hard on you is that you were mentioning buying tower speakers in the same breath.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #1558
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Fair enough, but the reason I was being hard on you is that you were mentioning buying tower speakers in the same breath.
All good!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #1559
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm! Double
Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #1560
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I've mentioned it before but powered bookshelf speakers work great for a computer setup. My Kantos have USB, 3.5mm, RCA and two optical inputs. It also has Bluetooth, sub out, and a phono preamp. It even comes with a remote so I would happily use them in a small home theatre over a soundbar.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kanto-Powered-...009617&sr=8-12
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: