Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Home Recording Studio Materials

Has anyone here built their own home recording studio or control/mixing room?

I'm currently renovating a room in our garage (10.5 x 21 wide, 8 foot ceiling) as a mixing room. Just finished fixing the walls, had a flake floor installed over concrete and recently painted. I'm going to do a sound test and start building my own panels. I currently have some Roxul insulation to use for superchunk bass traps for all four corners of the room. But I need to start looking into appropriate breathable fabric to cover all the eventual panels with. Some people use burlap but I didn't want to go that route. Does anyone have any fabric material recommendations that can be purchased in Canada outside of burlap and speaker fabric, appropriate and somewhat affordable? I could hit the local fabric store and try to find something that might work but knowing what to purchase beforehand would be helpful.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you spoken with your neighbors about this at all? The reason I ask is, assuming your are going to be doing this by the book and getting a building permit, it might be easier to convince your neighbors that this won’t create any extra noise(which it shouldn’t if done right) if you are upfront with them rather than have them walk by and see a building permit and find out that a studio is being built only to have them start making complaints or trying to stop you from building it based on how much noise they think it’s going to make when it’s all done.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Have you spoken with your neighbors about this at all? The reason I ask is, assuming your are going to be doing this by the book and getting a building permit, it might be easier to convince your neighbors that this won’t create any extra noise(which it shouldn’t if done right) if you are upfront with them rather than have them walk by and see a building permit and find out that a studio is being built only to have them start making complaints or trying to stop you from building it based on how much noise they think it’s going to make when it’s all done.
This is a home studio, not a commercial property There is no building permit required for something like this. It's a room in the house (garage) where I'm going to be making and hanging sound panels. There will be no volume issues as mixing isn't done at high DB.

I'm just looking for information on fabrics and tips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we built one for my friend, he used perforated headliner (car ceiling) fabric. You can order it from a bunch of different places.

In 2020 tho, with the state of amp modelling and the existence of Superior Drummer 3, I just don't see the need to have anything but a vocal booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
When we built one for my friend, he used perforated headliner (car ceiling) fabric. You can order it from a bunch of different places.

In 2020 tho, with the state of amp modelling and the existence of Superior Drummer 3, I just don't see the need to have anything but a vocal booth.
I use SD2 right now, still haven't upgraded- SD3 would be cool.

I've been having problems translating my mixes properly over the years, especially with bass, which requires a longer room and treatments, and why I decided to move things into the garage with a 20+ foot room length. For me I think it's worth a shot doing the proper treatments. And luckily I already have all this left over safe and sound roxul for the bass traps. Thanks for the fabric advice I'll look into it for sure.