Have they banned guns yet?

How about pooping in public?
How about cigarettes?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #202
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

maybe i am missing something, but why a blanket ban on their sale instead of just enforcing an age limit on who can buy them and strict penalties for those who break the rules? if we banned everything kids arent supposed to have but get anyways, we should go ahead and ban alcohol, weed and cigarettes too then
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #203
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I’ve quit smoking again, this time I am trying the vape route. I was a long time pack a day smoker up until five ago and have quit and relapsed several times. At Wranchmans on Friday they were giving away Vype ePod eCigs, I grabbed one and it has been my easiest “quit” yet. (Or substitution of my nicotine delivery system). My lungs are already feeling clearer so I am glad to be off cigarettes.

I eventually want to be nicotine free, but I don’t want to rush things. Any tips for primarily staying off cigarettes by using the vape, then eventually weaning off the vape?
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #204
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
So I’ve quit smoking again, this time I am trying the vape route. I was a long time pack a day smoker up until five ago and have quit and relapsed several times. At Wranchmans on Friday they were giving away Vype ePod eCigs, I grabbed one and it has been my easiest “quit” yet. (Or substitution of my nicotine delivery system). My lungs are already feeling clearer so I am glad to be off cigarettes.

I eventually want to be nicotine free, but I don’t want to rush things. Any tips for primarily staying off cigarettes by using the vape, then eventually weaning off the vape?
Well done buddy. Definitely not easy but despite vapes not being great they're way better than cigs.

Don't have advice, but keep it up
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #205
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's always a process, vaping was before my time but I quit 6 years ago with one box of nicorette gum, then switched to regular gum with a 3-4 shot a day of the then "new" nicorette spray, that lasted about a month and I was done. I smoked for 35 years and truthfully not only do I not miss it, I wonder how on earth I was so stupid to do it that long.

I suspect the act of vaping is a double whammy though as I think it would be hard to quit smoking by puffing on something else.

BTW, I'm still addicted to gum
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #206
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It's not much but I've managed to be smoke free I'd guess a little under a year, I'm not honestly sure how long it's been now. I was a heavy smoker I'd smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day. I tried the patch, that lasted about a week, I found it helped the cravings a bit. I did decide to just go cold turkey after that week though.

What really helped me was drinking an ungodly amount of water. No clue why but if I continually drank water I found my cravings to be much more manageable. Also physical exercise really helped me along the way. It's been a tough go, it's a hourly fight but I'm winning and I'm confident you will find what works for you as well.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #207
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ts-and-schools

It took more than three years — and help from a renowned pediatrician — to understand what was going on: Her son was addicted to nicotine, delivered by a Juul, a sleek e-cigarette that looks like a USB drive.

As e-cigarettes have skyrocketed in popularity among teenagers in the past two years, pediatricians report seeing teens who behave less like tobacco users and more like patients with substance-abuse disorders.

Doctors said they believe the behaviours of teens addicted to e-cigarettes could be linked to their design: Many products, including Juul, allow users to ingest far more nicotine than they would with traditional cigarettes.

But doctors say teens consume e-cigarettes at far faster rates than they do traditional cigarettes, with some consuming a pod or more a day – equivalent to the amount of nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. E-cigarette vapour does not burn the throat as much as cigarette smoke does, and its discretion allows consumers to use e-cigarettes more frequently.

In 2018, more than 37 per cent of 12th-graders reported vaping at least once in the past 12 months, according to findings released by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, even though many were too young to legally purchase the products. A year earlier, the figure was about 28 per cent. When teens were asked about use in the 30 days before the survey, 21 percent said they had vaped, which was nearly double the rate from 2017.

“We have millions of kids now, millions of adolescents who are using mostly Juul — and in some cases other devices — who are unable to quit,”

Desperate school administrators have banned USB drives because they’re indistinguishable from Juuls. Others removed bathroom doors because teens were regularly gathering there to vape, and some have even started searching students.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #208
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

teenagers abuse nicotine based products

news at 11
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #209
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Champix Champix Champix

I can't state that enough. NRT may work for some but I really don't think it's they way to go. Cold Turkey apparently has the highest success rate but hardest to do. I think using Champix is somewhere in between. Makes quitting "easy". No withdrawal, just a complete lack of interest in smoking.

Best way I can describe it is this.....you want to have a smoke so you go and burn through one. You're satisfied. Now you light another and it's really "meh". You just had one so it's doing nothing for you. That's basically what it's like being on Champix but all the time.

It will see you through the first 3 months. It's up to you after that.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #210
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5806783/r...-death-health/

Health authorities in Illinois say a patient who vaped has died after being hospitalized with a severe respiratory illness.

The death comes as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) investigates 153 cases of severe lung illness across 16 states. In all cases, the CDC says patients reported using e-cigarette products or “vaping”

“They did the X-ray and it was completely cloudy, all the way through his lungs.”

The teenager was otherwise healthy, though he says he began vaping a few years ago when he was in the eighth grade.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...days-cdc-says/

[I]As of August 17, the agency had counted 94 probable cases from 14 states between June 28 and August 15. In an update released late Wednesday, August 21, the CDC said the figures are up to 153 probable cases between June 28 and August 20, spanning 16 states.

The sharp rise in cases has not brought any clarity as to the cause of the illnesses. The CDC said there is still no evidence pointing to an infectious disease and that vaping is the only commonality.

Following early suspicions, the CDC did note that “n many cases, patients have acknowledged recent use of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing products while speaking to healthcare personnel or in follow-up interviews by health department staff.” THC is the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #211
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/06/...aping-warning/

CDC warns against vaping until it figures out what’s making people sick

'People should consider not using e-cigarette products,' the CDC wrote today.

Until the Center for Disease Control can figure out what's causing the mysterious lung illness associated with vaping, it's cautioning people against e-cigs.

"While this investigation is ongoing, people should consider not using e-cigarette products," the CDC wrote in a press release today.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #212
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t think there’s anything mysterious about it. It’s because idiot teenagers are putting cannabis oil in their vapes, which they aren’t made for. There’s also reports that the people getting sick have been using counterfeit parts they bought on the cheap.

There’s no evidence that using a vape properly is causing any of these illnesses.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #213
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds like what the cigarette companies said 60 years ago. “You’re just not using it right “ haha
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #214
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That sounds like what the cigarette companies said 60 years ago. Haha
That people were getting cancer from putting weed in the Marlboros?

You and I must have read different history books. But speaking of weed, it sounds a lot like the marijuana hysteria of the 1930s.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #215
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The world doesn’t need to be so serious.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #216
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t think there’s anything mysterious about it. It’s because idiot teenagers are putting cannabis oil in their vapes, which they aren’t made for. There’s also reports that the people getting sick have been using counterfeit parts they bought on the cheap.

There’s no evidence that using a vape properly is causing any of these illnesses.
more research needs to be done, particularly in terms of usage but also what exactly was being smoked.

e-cigs have been around for years, without any of these issues coming up...so it seems like something has changed.

it could very well be the increased usage creating a larger sample size, leading to finding these connections between users. Or it could be users smoking THC oils, which most of the cases seem to indicate, in addition to smoking the manufacturer's products.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #217
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
more research needs to be done, particularly in terms of usage but also what exactly was being smoked.

e-cigs have been around for years, without any of these issues coming up...so it seems like something has changed.

it could very well be the increased usage creating a larger sample size, leading to finding these connections between users. Or it could be users smoking THC oils, which most of the cases seem to indicate, in addition to smoking the manufacturer's products.
Absolutely. There could be so many factors. With e liquids not being well regulated and the vape industry exploding, poorly made nicotine products could be at fault. So could faulty products sold from not so reputable coil/tank/mod makers. And that’s without getting into the long term effects of vape usage and nicotine addiction for teens.

All that being said, I’ve been following the hysteria down south quite closely and 100% of the news reports I’ve read have specifically mentioned cannabis with one or two stories mentioning counterfeit coils purchased on the street.

But that’s always buried at the bottom of the article. The headlines and tv news stories rarely talk about reality and instead do everything in their power to generate clicks and viewers by ignoring that info and focusing on fear, half truths and hysteria.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #218
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Absolutely. There could be so many factors. With e liquids not being well regulated and the vape industry exploding, poorly made nicotine products could be at fault. So could faulty products sold from not so reputable coil/tank/mod makers. And that’s without getting into the long term effects of vape usage and nicotine addiction for teens.

All that being said, I’ve been following the hysteria down south quite closely and 100% of the news reports I’ve read have specifically mentioned cannabis with one or two stories mentioning counterfeit coils purchased on the street.

But that’s always buried at the bottom of the article. The headlines and tv news stories rarely talk about reality and instead do everything in their power to generate clicks and viewers by ignoring that info and focusing on fear, half truths and hysteria.
very true...

i only started vaping (former smoker) cause i was getting stressed at work and didn't want to start smoking again.

it remains to be seen what's the cause, but saying its vaping causing this isn't accurate, as that suggests that using the product as suggested is causing this rather than overuse of modified use of products/mixes that it is not intended for.

while some posters suggest this is similar to what tobacco companies use to argue, the difference was that big tobacco knew there product was dangerous for decades. That hasn't been established with e-cigarette manufacturers.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #219
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i only started vaping (former smoker) cause i was getting stressed at work and didn't want to start smoking again.
Stop it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #220
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Stop it.
lol... thanks... i appreciate the sentiment
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: