Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #61
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cheers to this thread and boo-urns to every knucklehead who fired TJ into the sun over the last two years.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
But you are not trading away Giordano or Hanifin (who just signed a 6-year contract). Or you will have to trade away on of the 3 youngsters to make room to keep both Brodie and Hamonic. If not, we will run into another "too many veterans in the lineup" problem again.
Trust in Treliving. But, like I said, if I'm forced to choose, it's Brodie. Look at what happens when Peters decides to change things up. He typically leaves Hanifin and Hamonic and puts Andersson up with Gio (and they play pretty well).

Then there's the fact that Kylington and Brodie have similar skill sets. I don't know who matched Hamonic.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #63
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

He sees the ice so much better on the right hand side
Old 11-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
He sees the ice so much better on the right hand side
Thats heresy you anti-Gulutzan-ite!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #65
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
WTF?

The guy is playing well as a top pairing defenseman, and would still have another year left on a great contract. First of all, you don't trade him. And second, if you do, it better be for a lot more than that.
Last time we traded a ‘top pairing’ D with 1 year remaining before UFA, we got a low 1st and a B prospect. It could be argued that Bouwmeester had more value than TJ (although I would disagree).

If we choose to trade, we may not get as much as we hope.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Last time we traded a ‘top pairing’ D with 1 year remaining before UFA, we got a low 1st and a B prospect. It could be argued that Bouwmeester had more value than TJ (although I would disagree).

You forgot Berra!!

But Treliving > Feaster. You may be right that expectations are too high, but Feaster got fleeced in that one.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #67
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

That was Feaster. He admittedly never tried to win trades. Treliving is a wizard and would get way more
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #68
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

TJ Brodie is currently:

T-9th in 5 on 5 points for defensemen
T-9th in ES points for defensemen
T-1st in 5 on 5 primary assists for defensemen
3rd in ES Time-on-Ice% Quality of Competition (though Giordano is first... can anyone say Norris?)
14th in 5 on 5 Corsi-For % for defensemen (400+5 on 5 minutes)
1st in 5 on 5 Goals-For % for defensemen (400+ 5 on 5 minutes)
T-7th in fewest penalties taken per minute (500+ minutes)
T-14th in most penalties drawn per minute (500+ minutes)

We have the best top pair in the entire NHL.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-01-2018 at 09:52 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #69
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

1st in NHL plus/minus = +18
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
1st in NHL plus/minus = +18
That's impressive.

More so considering the past two seasons.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #71
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Just because Feaster made a bad trade and a trade he didn't have to make doesn't mean Treliving should be gun-shy about moving one of Brodie or Hamonic this summer.

Both are having fantastic seasons, both are UFA's summer of 2020. With the emergence of Valimaski, Rasmus and Kylington it's prudent to look at the cap and decide who should move out. Either should command sizeable returns.

Toronto could be a trading partner for either.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Just because Feaster made a bad trade and a trade he didn't have to make doesn't mean Treliving should be gun-shy about moving one of Brodie or Hamonic this summer.

Both are having fantastic seasons, both are UFA's summer of 2020. With the emergence of Valimaski, Rasmus and Kylington it's prudent to look at the cap and decide who should move out. Either should command sizeable returns.

Maybe WN ends up a Flame after all, just next summer. Could see Brodie and a young forward going for him if TJ ends up replenishing his stock.

However if he indeed is back to being the Brodie of old I'd also be inclined to keep him cause I love the way he's playing when he's skating and seeing the ice so well.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe WN ends up a Flame after all, just next summer. Could see Brodie and a young forward going for him if TJ ends up replenishing his stock.

However if he indeed is back to being the Brodie of old I'd also be inclined to keep him cause I love the way he's playing when he's skating and seeing the ice so well.
The Flames look like they are in fantastic shape on the left side, but less so on the right. With Brodie playing like he is on the right side next to Giordano, I would be more reluctant to move him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #74
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie 16th all time in Games Played as a Flame after last night. It's pretty cool to see.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #75
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Brodie, always have. He does things on the ice with his feet, his stick and his brain that none of our D men can do. He always makes some little play that leaves me in awe. Or some big play.

TJ plays the game with class. I respect that.

There have been some awful things written about him on this site over the years. Hope some people reflect a little.

I really like our 6 D right now. Kylington looking all right also, pretty fine guy for our 6-8 D man!
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #76
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post

The 3 rookies have looked ok in 3rd pairing roles but they are not close to replacing what Brodie brings.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #77
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
The 3 rookies have looked ok in 3rd pairing roles but they are not close to replacing what Brodie brings.
You know, I personally would love to see him stay in Calgary because I am used to you guys, and I am used to him playing here- and I love the whole team at this point. However, if they do decide to trade him, I would love to see him to go to the Leafs. But then again, I don't want to have to make up another handle on another message board and get to know 100,000 plus more annoying fans that talk out their butt trumpets every time he farts the wrong way... So I guess he's just gonna have to stay in Calgary. That's that.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #78
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmmmm I guess TJ Brodie is 1st in the league for +/-, that's pretty darn good. Comeback POY & James Norris for Brodie.

Giordano is killing it too he's definitely a Norris candidate as well. Both are. Definitely the best pairing so far in the NHL but I'm a lil bias perhaps

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 12-01-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Believer in San Diego Seals of Lacrosse
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #79
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
I honestly think Rasmus is close to replacing what Brodie brings, and I love Brodie.

First season in the league and he is the guy to join Gio on the top pair when the defence gets shuffled, and he never looks out of place doing it.

Sure, he still makes some mistakes, as rookies do, but by the end of the year and the experience he will gain I think most of those will be ironed out. It might be a little much to expect him to completely replace Brodie next year but with Hanifin and Hamonic progressing this year too, they will be ready to pick up more of the slack next year, and I think Rasmus would be a fine replacement for Brodie if they choose to trade him.

Speaking of trading Brodie, someone mentioned it above and I'm not saying I think this is 100% possible but I think there is a world where Brodie continues the season at this pace and establishes himself as a top pair D-man and the number 2 on the best pair in the league while at the same time Nylander, after missing so long takes a little while to get up to speed, and doesn't have a great season, diminishing his value a little. Which could open up a possibility of a Brodie+ Jankowski or Dube for Nylander type move.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #80
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope TJ stays in Calgary he is an asset that is hard to acquire. You need stable experienced veteran players like Gio and Brodie that can be there for the young guys. TJ is part of the team, these are his friends, this is his home. What happens if we make a trade but the guy we bring in is inconstant, lazy or just doesn't fit. I think we have a good group; We need to work with the guys we have and make this a team that strives to make the playoffs every year.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 12-01-2018 at 08:03 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote