Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #321
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah Barry Trotz and Craig Berube won the last two Stanley Cups and my take is they are very similar type of personalities to Bill Peters.

I don't think you need to be a "soft" coach at all to win in the new NHL.

I actually wonder if part of the reason that Peters has lost the room is from not holding his top guys accountable.

What type of "punishment" have Gaudreau, Monahan, etc had for their poor play this season?

Maybe they should see reduced ice time and being sat more if the poor play continues.
That doesn't jive at all with what I've heard about Peters. The opposite really.

Berube is transparent, doesn't mince words.

From what I was told about Peters, he keeps guys in the dark, makes examples out of guys without explanation. Some guys got a seat in the doghouse and never earn an opportunity to get out because they don't know what they did to land there.

Other guys get a pass or are collectively punished.

Some coaches believe they need to keep everyone off balance, coach from fear, to get results. Marc Crawford i've heard was very much like this. Hair trigger personality motivating from fear. Emasculating. Challenging and then undercutting.

The thing a 'player coach' does better than any other coach is get his players to see things from his point of view, to explain things in such a way as to promote buy-in.

Rick Tocchet is apparently a real players coach, and he's one of the hardest edges in the league. Rod Brind'Amour is a very intense guy, but everyone knows where they stand.

Someone told me that Laviolette was like the opposite of Peters. Constantly communicating. Explaining, teaching, pushing. His approach is if guys aren't getting it, it's because he's not communicating it effectively.

From the outside we all associate being tough with being successful, but the game is filled with brutal taskmasters that are being weeded out because the game just isn't played like that any more.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #322
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

THN article from today has some Gaudreau speculation. The author doesn't believe Johnny will be moved. https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...keep-an-eye-on

Quote:
Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer believes the Flyers should be front of the line if Gaudreau is available. Citing the winger’s youth, skill, South Jersey roots and affordable $6.75-million cap hit, Carchidi feels he would be a good addition to the Flyers’ core. Carchidi acknowledged landing Gaudreau would cost the Flyers some high draft picks. If the Flames want more immediate help, he proposed including a veteran winger such as Jakub Voracek or James van Riemsdyk in the deal.
Over the weekend, the New York Post’s Larry Brooks wondered if the Flames would consider swapping Gaudreau for New Jersey Devils left winger Taylor Hall if Calgary could re-sign him to a contract extension. Hall, 28, is slated to become an unrestricted free agent next July.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #323
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Brooks is probably closer to the mark than Carchidi.

Neither is going to be right though.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #324
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That doesn't jive at all with what I've heard about Peters. The opposite really.

Berube is transparent, doesn't mince words.

From what I was told about Peters, he keeps guys in the dark, makes examples out of guys without explanation. Some guys got a seat in the doghouse and never earn an opportunity to get out because they don't know what they did to land there.

Other guys get a pass or are collectively punished.

Some coaches believe they need to keep everyone off balance, coach from fear, to get results. Marc Crawford i've heard was very much like this. Hair trigger personality motivating from fear. Emasculating. Challenging and then undercutting.

The thing a 'player coach' does better than any other coach is get his players to see things from his point of view, to explain things in such a way as to promote buy-in.

Rick Tocchet is apparently a real players coach, and he's one of the hardest edges in the league. Rod Brind'Amour is a very intense guy, but everyone knows where they stand.

Someone told me that Laviolette was like the opposite of Peters. Constantly communicating. Explaining, teaching, pushing. His approach is if guys aren't getting it, it's because he's not communicating it effectively.

From the outside we all associate being tough with being successful, but the game is filled with brutal taskmasters that are being weeded out because the game just isn't played like that any more.
I've never coached a hockey team. But I would imagine the fundamentals of leadership and management in the business world apply.

Based on what you said, playing for Peters sounds like a nightmare. How can you improve if you don't know where you stand?
Laviolette sounds like a great leader.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #325
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol could you imagine the Flames trading Gaudreau, and having an older, more expensive and lower producing winger like Voracek or JVR as the main piece coming back?

Great idea fella.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #326
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
THN article from today has some Gaudreau speculation. The author doesn't believe Johnny will be moved. https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...keep-an-eye-on
Nice proposals..

Gaudreau isn't going, and if he does, it wouldn't be for couple picks and spare parts/aging vets, or solely Hall who is not as good and will be more expensive.

Try again Brooksie.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #327
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol could you imagine the Flames trading Gaudreau, and having an older, more expensive and lower producing winger like Voracek or JVR as the main piece coming back?

Great idea fella.
Same thing with Hall. Older, produces less, and will likely cost $2 million+ more per season.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #328
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, with guys with a solid history of production like Gaudreau, perhaps they've earned some rope. I remember in 2011-12 Ovie sunk to "only" 65 points and was kind of lazy. People said he was on the way out, they should trade him, etc. Joe Thornton dipped pretty dramatically in 03-04 and got traded the next year. Bad move.

there's lots of other examples.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #329
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall doesn't look like the same player pre-injury. Hes been almost a non-factor for NJ so far
Old 11-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #330
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You know, with guys with a solid history of production like Gaudreau, perhaps they've earned some rope. I remember in 2011-12 Ovie sunk to "only" 65 points and was kind of lazy. People said he was on the way out, they should trade him, etc. Joe Thornton dipped pretty dramatically in 03-04 and got traded the next year. Bad move.

I've been tough on Johnny since last year's playoff embarrassment but maybe, hopefully, his slump has been entirely to do with the now ex coach? He seems like the type of young player that would not do well under a tyrrant. Hoping for the best going forward. That said, if he doesn't pick it up and/or prove something in the playoffs I think you have to look at trading him this summer.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #331
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Patrick Kane is another example. He dipped to 66 points in 82 games during his 24 year old season. He's done pretty good since then.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #332
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember how it felt watching Marty St. Louis hoist the Cup?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 03:58 AM   #333
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
This/thread
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #334
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
i don't remember this at all.

the whole night is missing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #335
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have spent zero seconds of my life watching anything that happened that night after the final whistle.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #336
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Gaudreau shouldn't be moved, but there needs to be another high end playmaker/finisher added to this team, ideally a C.

Monahan is a level below a true/elite #1 C, and Backlund is back to being a level below a contending team's #2 C, offensively.

I don't think midyear trade is possible to rectify this. Either this strange year continues and you hopefully draft this piece (byfield, mmm) or use a core piece to upgrade (Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, hanifan being pieces i think the flames use to get it).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #337
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I agree that Gaudreau shouldn't be moved, but there needs to be another high end playmaker/finisher added to this team, ideally a C.

Monahan is a level below a true/elite #1 C, and Backlund is back to being a level below a contending team's #2 C, offensively.

I don't think midyear trade is possible to rectify this. Either this strange year continues and you hopefully draft this piece (byfield, mmm) or use a core piece to upgrade (Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, hanifan being pieces i think the flames use to get it).
Ya this is my thought, I'd trade pretty much anyone if we could get an upgrade on Monahan but that seems unlikely so wait for the summer.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #338
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this year goes off the rails, I'd consider moving Gaudreau at the draft - and sure, if the Flyers wanted to include JVR, I'd be okay with that...so long as it was for cap purposes and the deal included their 2020 and 2021 first round draft picks, as well as a good prospect.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #339
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If this year goes off the rails, I'd consider moving Gaudreau at the draft - and sure, if the Flyers wanted to include JVR, I'd be okay with that...so long as it was for cap purposes and the deal included their 2020 and 2021 first round draft picks, as well as a good prospect.
JVR+Myers+Frost do it for ya?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #340
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Keep him, but build around him. It's not like he is making $10 mill a year. Chicago was able to win multiple Cups with Patty Kane as their best player because they put a great team around him with multiple scoring threats.

Trading a good players for multiple okay players didn't work out when we traded Phaneuf to the Leafs.
Lol Johnny couldn’t hold a candle to Kane
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote