Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #241
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Terminator with a $10m Friday, might not even crack $30m for the weekend. Can we just bury this franchise already?
Wow... That's really bad.

On a positive note, Joker with only a 30% drop is guaranteed to make $300 million. 1 billion is still possible worldwide, although still a bit of a stretch. Incredible for an R rated movie with that budget.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #242
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Terminator with a $10m Friday, might not even crack $30m for the weekend. Can we just bury this franchise already?
I had totally forgotten that movie was coming until about a week ago and the one short TV commercial I saw for it made it look really bad.

Terrible marketing for this, but it really is just time to let the franchise die.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #243
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's rough, all those false starts with T3, Salvation, Genysis hurt any excitement for this one. I bet they will try again in 10 years. We will always have the first two which are some of the best sci Fi movies ever.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #244
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Considering they
Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #245
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Joker at $299.6 domestic and $934 total.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #246
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watched Dark Fate, it was really much better than T3, Salvation, and Genisys... Salvation could have been a decent movie too if Christian Bale hadn't leveraged his post Batman success and forced a bunch of bad re-writes.

Shame Cameron got shut out of the franchise after T2. Never would have ended up with this box office mess situation with him at the helm.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #247
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Joker at $299.6 domestic and $934 total.
That is really impressive. I'm looking forward to renting it when it comes out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #248
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I had totally forgotten that movie was coming until about a week ago and the one short TV commercial I saw for it made it look really bad.

Terrible marketing for this, but it really is just time to let the franchise die.
There should never have been a franchise. The first two are clearly the most perfect action movies ever made. It is incredible how both hold up to viewings now.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #249
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Terminator needed to try something vastly different than the same formula. Part of what made the sequel a huge hit was they changed Arnie from the bad guy to the good guy. It would be like if the third Nolan film had Joker as the hero.

Jurassic Park franchise is a great example of this, the first one was amazing, the next two copied the formula with worse box office results. Part of what made Jurassic World a huge hit is because it finally delivered on the working dino theme park which we never got in the first three.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #250
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I feel like Terminator needed to try something vastly different than the same formula. Part of what made the sequel a huge hit was they changed Arnie from the bad guy to the good guy. It would be like if the third Nolan film had Joker as the hero.

Jurassic Park franchise is a great example of this, the first one was amazing, the next two copied the formula with worse box office results. Part of what made Jurassic World a huge hit is because it finally delivered on the working dino theme park which we never got in the first three.
Jurassic World was also bad.

It's really hard to replicate genius. Terminator 1 & 2, and Jurassic Park hit on a specific element of fantasy in such a perfect way that elaborating on it any further just ruined it.

Same could obviously be said of Star Wars.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #251
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
There should never have been a franchise. The first two are clearly the most perfect action movies ever made. It is incredible how both hold up to viewings now.

In anticipation of the new Terminator movie, I watched the first two with my teenage son. He was blown by them. Loved them.

I don’t know if I want to ruin what has been a really enjoyable experience with a damp squib of a movie.

Advice please.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #252
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's really hard to replicate genius. Terminator 1 & 2, and Jurassic Park hit on a specific element of fantasy in such a perfect way that elaborating on it any further just ruined it.

Jurassic World isn't great by any means but it made $1.6 Billion dollars, so people went out to see it. Maybe it was a case of nostalgia but something stuck with audiences.

Aliens, Predators, Terminator, Robocop all failed at the box office when they tried to reboot but a franchise like Halloween is as popular as ever even after the Rob Zombie films. The box office is a fickle business.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #253
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think it would be hard to do a proper T3 film tell the story of a post judgment day world, John Connor the lead character. Schwarzenegger can be brought back in CG form do a plot twist along the lines of one of the characters in the future knew/experienced some part of the T800 and/or T1000 stuff.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #254
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan;7262409[B
]Jurassic World isn't great by any means but it made $1.6 Billion dollars,[/B] so people went out to see it. Maybe it was a case of nostalgia but something stuck with audiences.

Aliens, Predators, Terminator, Robocop all failed at the box office when they tried to reboot but a franchise like Halloween is as popular as ever even after the Rob Zombie films. The box office is a fickle business.
I know this is your thread and its about the Box Office and thats cool and all, but its important to remember that people are largely idiots with their money (check out most of the OT forum) and that just because a movie makes lots of money doesnt necessarily mean it was any good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #255
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
In anticipation of the new Terminator movie, I watched the first two with my teenage son. He was blown by them. Loved them.

I don’t know if I want to ruin what has been a really enjoyable experience with a damp squib of a movie.

Advice please.
It was not good. In fact, it was largely pointless and essentially a remake of T2. My teenage kids were not impressed.

IMO, the other Terminator sequels were better than this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #256
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It was not good. In fact, it was largely pointless and essentially a remake of T2. My teenage kids were not impressed.

IMO, the other Terminator sequels were better than this.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #257
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I know this is your thread and its about the Box Office and thats cool and all, but its important to remember that people are largely idiots with their money (check out most of the OT forum) and that just because a movie makes lots of money doesnt necessarily mean it was any good.
Never once did Nadal reference a critique on the film... said that it was a hit as it changed the formula. That’s exactly what happened. Without the working theme park no one sees that movie.

Hit. It was a hit. It made a ton of money... isn’t that what a hit is?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #258
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly! The new Lion King movie wasn't any good by any means yet still made over $1.6 billion. Box office isn't a sign a movie is good, but it is a sign that people wanted to see the movie and it had hype around it. The billion dollar movie club is full of not great movies, but almost all of them have some sort of spectacle attached to them.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #259
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Joker now at $994 million. Guaranteed to break a billion. Very impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 11-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #260
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Box office watching kicks in again with Frozen II coming next weekend. Should easily crest a $100M opening (I think it will be much higher). It basically gets a month to itself before Jumanji and Star Wars, and should even play well through the holidays against those movies. Sky's the limit.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: