Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #41
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smash them again with their star players. No mercy.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I already hate all the CDN teams besides Calgary, this is going to be a long hate fueled season watching them play these same teams over and over again.
Yup.

And it's going to be awesome.

It's not like it hasn't been done before, and we know the results of such scheduling.

Hate. Pure and unadultered hate of the opposition.

It's how it was for many many years.

Look at the year the Flames won the cup....played the Oilers 8 times in the regular season. I can tell you right now that the BOA was 10 times more nasty back then than it is now or has been in decades. And its because the teams played each other so much (and were very good as well) that the players started to loathe each other. It was the fuel for unbelievable games.

Here is hoping history repeats and that level of disdain works its way back into the game, it makes for WAY better entertainment. I think it's almost assured.

I can't wait.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-24-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #44
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice! I’m assuming the 10 Oilers and Nucks games was not random?

My favourite part of the schedule is the very regular BoAs. My least favourite is the 4 in a row versus Ottawa.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can't be the only that sees potential for catastrophe playing the Oilers 10 times. That rivalry is already hot. Imagine the suspensions, the injuries, this is gonna be a war.
I can't wait for the friendship tour to start

Old 12-24-2020, 12:00 AM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Its funny.. so many back to backs.. but then a random 6 day break between games 3 and 4.
so stupid...wait this long for hockey and have a week off 3 games in
Old 12-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #47
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the season Lucic needs forget old friendships and show up against the Oilers and it wouldn't hurt if Bennett finally smokes his old childhood buddy McLottery...no more Mr.Niceguys please.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 02:31 AM   #48
DynastyEra
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Knowing whichever fanbase wins the North, will be absolutely insufferable forever, hurts to think about.
It can't be the Leafs, Oilers or Canucks. I won't be able to cope with that.
DynastyEra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DynastyEra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I can't be the only that sees potential for catastrophe playing the Oilers 10 times. That rivalry is already hot. Imagine the suspensions, the injuries, this is gonna be a war.
The Oilers are obsessed with playing us.

They tried as hard as they could in the pre-play-in exhibition against us, thought they had the cup in the bag because of a game that didn't count, then they came out like limp d###s against Chicago and got spanked.

I hope the Flames players handle it well, because Edmonton clearly feels like they have more to prove against us than the other way around. After the last season series we're holding serve, and hopefully will play like it.

Toy with and taunt them, let Kassian demolish himself like the time bomb with legs that he is. I fully expect he gets himself a lengthy suspension, I would even bet on it. The goal is to not take something incidental the other way when he inevitably does.

Play on the edge and make McDavid cry and get worked up like he did over Gio physically denying him zone entry. I feel like he'll eventually try too hard and take himself out like he did when he lost his edge and went 100mph into the post.

The good thing about the other side being so emotionally invested (in part thanks to their media being so easily bent out of shape and impressing those storylines on the players) is that if we keep our cool and focus on playing our game, we can maintain the upper hand and make them look stupid in the process.

The best part is if we run away with the season series, it'll wreck everyone around that organization. And it'll be a black cloud hanging over any success they manage to have overall.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-24-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #50
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Regarding a jersey schedule... here's a transcription of a Twitter thread I just posted.

"With the release of the NHL's schedule today, I'm told that teams are now able to submit the dates for when they wish to wear their Reverse Retro and other alternate jerseys.

Apparently teams are not allowed to request dates before February 1 to wear their Reverse Retro jerseys.

As for the Flames, I would be surprised if they didn't choose to put the new Blasty jerseys on full display for their first matchup against the Oilers.

They first meet on Saturday, Feb. 6, which I presume will be a national HNIC game.

You are definitely the "Jersey Insider" eh?

Thanks for the info

Of note: the Flames can choose to submit a request to wear a RR jersey in a certain game, but they don't have control over what their opponents wear. So if they wanted to have an RR vs. RR game against the Oilers on Feb. 6, both teams would have to submit that date to the NHL.

As for the flag alternate... speculating, but I think matchups against Toronto (maple leaf flag vs. Maple Leafs?) and Ottawa (the flag of Canada vs. the Canadian capital) make sense.

I'm told CGY is going to "try to wear [the 3] different [home] jerseys against each opponent.""
You are definitely the "Jersey Insider" eh?

Thanks for the info Scorp.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine that playing in empty buildings will cool the temperature between these two teams. The crowds contribute ALOT to the on-ice emotion exhibited by the players.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #52
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I imagine that playing in empty buildings will cool the temperature between these two teams. The crowds contribute ALOT to the on-ice emotion exhibited by the players.

It will be interesting to see if this is the case. My guess is that it is not.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #53
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Maybe a bit but judging from the pre playoff game in the summer they will pick up where they left off
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Maybe a bit but judging from the pre playoff game in the summer they will pick up where they left off
Oh, for sure. I am just suggesting that it won't be amped up nearly as much as if they were playing 10 reg. season games in front of fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #55
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The games we play them when Kassian and Nurse are serving their suspensions won’t be as elevated.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #56
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if the gap in games early on is a contingency plan for teams starting the season with COVID postponements? Seems like it would be better to build in the extra time at the end of the season, but I guess some buffer early on would prevent later issues? All the other major leagues, MLB, NBA, and NFL had some early troubles and then things seemed to die down for the most part. Is this actually some good planning on the NHL's part?
Old 12-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I wonder if the gap in games early on is a contingency plan for teams starting the season with COVID postponements? Seems like it would be better to build in the extra time at the end of the season, but I guess some buffer early on would prevent later issues? All the other major leagues, MLB, NBA, and NFL had some early troubles and then things seemed to die down for the most part. Is this actually some good planning on the NHL's part?
If you look at the other Canadian teams' schedules, the Flames are the only ones with a long break early.

The Oilers have a long break near the end of the season; the Canucks in late March; and the Habs in mid-February.

In mid-March, the Leafs have a stretch where they're off for 4 days, then play the Flames back-to-back, then another 4 days off.

The longest the Jets and Sens go without a game is 4 days, but they also have more 3 day breaks than the other teams.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #58
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If you look at the other Canadian teams' schedules, the Flames are the only ones with a long break early.

The Oilers have a long break near the end of the season; the Canucks in late March; and the Habs in mid-February.

In mid-March, the Leafs have a stretch where they're off for 4 days, then play the Flames back-to-back, then another 4 days off.

The longest the Jets and Sens go without a game is 4 days, but they also have more 3 day breaks than the other teams.
So not really what you want in terms of rest. However the Flames will actually get some practice time early on which might be even more important with drastically fewer practice days in season.

Also the crazy schedule this year makes me glad the flames aren't learning a new coaches system. Continuity is gonna be key this season.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

The Oilers is late in the season to give them time to book their tee times and shop for some new clubs.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the break will be really beneficial - get a couple games in, to get their legs, then some time off for practice and structure. Then back at it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote