Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #8121
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The big thing for me is the existence of the analysis at all ... that's quite a move from the backlash from Oiler fans this summer every time Calgary and "contender" pop up in season predictions pieces across the continent.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #8122
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I will agree the top line and goaltending favors the Oil right now but everything else favors The Flames
Agreed.

The top line and goaltending can win you games, so I can see where a lot of Oiler fanboys would give the edge to the Oil based on that alone, but many games over a season and post-season are won by sound defence and depth, and the Flames have a pretty large advantage there (3M, and Calgary's blue line are huge assets that are getting frankly overlooked). Also when Johnny and Mony are on, they're together as impactful as a McDavid in gamebreaking situations. They haven't been at that level as often this past season though, so a lot depends on them returning to form.

Smith is no slouch, and he has a much better D in front of him than Talbot has, so in the end it sort of balances out how the teams compare behind the blue line. Betting on Talbot being as inhuman as he was for a consecutive season to compensate for the holes in their defence is walking on pretty thin ice I would say.

There are as many reasons to doubt the Oilers and see a fall this year as there are to expect them to fulfill these high expectations being thrown out there.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #8123
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/The-F...onton/32/87037

Basement blogger who is an Oilers fan compares the teams line by line.

I disagree that both the bottom 2 lines of the Oilers is better as well as the bottom pair. Personally I take Stone over Nurse or Benning today. Stone would be pretty clear #4 on the Oilers. The author also has Chiasson listed on the Flames so it shows he doesn't know much.

I will agree the top line and goaltending favors the Oil right now but everything else favors The Flames
I love in his comparison of 3rd pairings how he said Stone is guilty of some bonehead plays while conveniently forgetting that Nurse may lead the league in bonehead plays.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-23-2017 at 11:23 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #8124
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/The-F...onton/32/87037

Basement blogger who is an Oilers fan compares the teams line by line.

I disagree that both the bottom 2 lines of the Oilers is better as well as the bottom pair. Personally I take Stone over Nurse or Benning today. Stone would be pretty clear #4 on the Oilers. The author also has Chiasson listed on the Flames so it shows he doesn't know much.

Pretty far fetched of him to give the advantage of the third line to the oilers....
I mean, not one player on that line played together, yet alone even for the oilers!
One who has been a complete bust in the islanders organization and another who couldn't even earn a spot on their roster last season
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #8125
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
Pretty far fetched of him to give the advantage of the third line to the oilers....
I mean, not one player on that line played together, yet alone even for the oilers!
One who has been a complete bust in the islanders organization and another who couldn't even earn a spot on their roster last season
Yeah Bennett, Versteeg and (Jankowski/Brouwer/Jagr) is a damn decent third line. Only fans of the Oilers are actually boasting about anyone on their bottom two lines. We're talking about people that list NHL tweeners as 'core' members.

Everyone's a core level player up there it seems.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #8126
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think a better way to do this is to look at it more as a depth chart, and not even attempt to put things in lines.

Top 3 forwards on each side
Middle 6 forwards on each side
Top pairing
2nd pairing
Starter

That's really what a team is all about. Deployment can change but if you have 6 elite forwards you can put two on three lines or three on two lines
Old 08-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #8127
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Top 3 forwards - Edmonton
Middle 6 forwards - Calgary
Top pairing - Calgary
2nd pairing - Calgary
Starter - Edmonton

Will be interesting this season to see if higher top end or a more complete team will win more games.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #8128
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Top 3 forwards - Edmonton
Middle 6 forwards - Calgary
Top pairing - Calgary
2nd pairing - Calgary
Starter - Edmonton

Will be interesting this season to see if higher top end or a more complete team will win more games.
I would bet on depth over a one hit wonder line.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #8129
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton Wedding Brawl

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/artic...ity-for-lovers

Quote:
The precise origins of this scrap are a mystery, but anyone who has ever spent time in downtown Edmonton on a Saturday night already has a more intimate understanding of this situation than I could ever hope to explain. A heavily polluted bridal party staggers into the barcade at Denizen Hall after a long day of celebrating a couple's expression of undying love. They get a couple more drinks in them and then some stuff goes down.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #8130
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

To flesh this out ...

Top 3 forwards on each side

Edmonton - McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins
Calgary - Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund

Middle 6 forwards on each side

Edmonton - Maroon, Lucic, Slepyshev, Strome, Caggiula, Jokinen
Calgary - Tkachuk, Bennett, Frolik, Versteeg, Ferland, Brouwer/Lazar

Top pairing

Edmonton - Klefbom, Larsson
Calgary - Giordano, Hamilton

2nd pairing

Edmonton - Russell, Benning (Sekera)
Calgary - Brodie, Hamonic

Starter

Edmonton - Talbot
Calgary - Smith

That pits 14 players vs 14 players ... the rest are replacement level to some degree with apologies to Stone, Letestu, Stajan, etc
Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #8131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Reading the comments in the Blog, beyond the vast over estimation of Oiler players. Draisaitl after one good season riding on McDavid's coat tails is better then Johnny and Mony. The Oilers middle 6 is awesome.

Oh and some dingus in there is proclaiming that the rivalry is over because the Flames are moving to Seattle. Some low class idiot is cheering for an NHL team to leave town.

I really hope that the Oilers sink to a new depth in that shiny new building and it becomes stained with the urine of the angry and disenfranchised.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #8132
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton is No Good 5: Little McDoggie Ridden Hard; Draisal Put Away Wet
Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #8133
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Edmonton is No Good 5: Little McDoggie Ridden Hard; Draisal Put Away Wet
This has to be one of the worst things I am privy to, being a CP member. It makes no actual sense. It is almost as if someone thought "Man I hate that McDavid kid! I wish I could make a nickname for him I feel he will hate as much as I hate him! McDumby? no... McDimwit? no too clever...hmmm McDoggie!!!! YES THAT'S IT!!!! I R GENIUS"

Last edited by Since1984; 08-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #8134
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
This has to be one of the worst things I am privy to, being a CP member. It makes no actual sense. It is almost as if someone thought "Man I hate that McDavid kid! I wish I could make a nickname for him I feel he will hate as much as I hate him! McDumby? no... McDimwit? no too clever...hmmm McDoggie!!!! YES THAT'S IT!!!! I R GENIUS"
I prefer McJezus....in incorporates all the false hope of a deity that the Oiler fans have in him delivering the second coming.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #8135
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I prefer The Holy Diver.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #8136
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You need to read the original post it came from. It was one of the funniest things on CP.

In which it was a reference to a dog named Collie McDoggie whom a fictitious 4 year old oiler fan named her dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 08-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #8137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're missing the providence.

I get it, its annoying. Almost as annoying as being inundated by the media every time McSaviour has a bowel movement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #8138
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
On the Edmonton subreddit u/tylemaker did a thoroughly comprehensive look at the Oilers cap situation next year. I think he nailed things pretty much bang on. Tldr: he admits the Oilers are going to be in a bad cap situation unless they can trade RNH for picks/prospects or some of their free agents take extremely friendly deals. They will not be able to retain all of Maroon, Strome, Nurse, Benning unless the cap goes up by a minimum of 4 million and they don't have a prospect base than can come in and fill those roles adequately. A realistic fan of the Oilers, who would've thought?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EdmontonOil...DX&sh=22c47e1e
Lol, one of the commenters mentions that if Benning and Nurse have break out years, it will mean they have six top pairing defenceman and they won't need them all.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #8139
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Lol, one of the commenters mentions that if Benning and Nurse have break out years, it will mean they have six top pairing defenceman and they won't need them all.
Russell is a top pairing dman? That's news to me.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #8140
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Russell is a top pairing dman? That's news to me.
From the Lowe era, and how it operated, if the Oilers, through their press minions, say things enough times, it will come true and/or taken as fact by their fans.

Also, bump. Shame on the thread for bumping to page 2.
Closed Thread