Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default Dan Vladar is a Calgary Flames goalie

Does Vladar deserve his own thread? Maybe. Maybe not.

But this looks interesting...

__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

I think he deserves his own thread. I'll play.

Still very early to tell but here's what I've seen, IMO:

Pros:
- Very similar blocking style to Markstrom
- Relies on size and positioning. I think from a depth standpoint, he's at an NHL level (which is where there is a huge difference from the AHL)
- Decent technical skills so far (i.e. puck tracking, puck reading, etc...)

Cons:
- Post play isn't great and is slow to the post when puck is behind the net
- Is late to the puck on the rush when shot far side to the blocker
- Recovery back to his feet or butterfly after a save is slow. Limited mobility in those situations. Overall mobility is so-so.

Overall, for a goalie his age and NHL experience that's pretty good. Who knows how he turns out but so far-so good.

I think Markstrom is actually a very good high ceiling comparable to him. Reminds me of a Jonathan Bernier but with size.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Pros:
Excellent command of the Force.
Style sense is on point.

Cons:
That business with the younglings.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player
 
Vinny01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY
Exp:
Default

I know it wasn’t the exact pick but to be able to get a 3rd for Rittich and turn around and get a younger cheaper guy for the same price we got for a rental is great work.

Markstrom-Vlader-Wolf has this organization looking set in net both short and long term
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I think he deserves his own thread. I'll play.

Still very early to tell but here's what I've seen, IMO:

Pros:
- Very similar blocking style to Markstrom
- Relies on size and positioning. I think from a depth standpoint, he's at an NHL level (which is where there is a huge difference from the AHL)
- Decent technical skills so far (i.e. puck tracking, puck reading, etc...)

Cons:
- Post play isn't great and is slow to the post when puck is behind the net
- Is late to the puck on the rush when shot far side to the blocker
- Recovery back to his feet or butterfly after a save is slow. Limited mobility in those situations. Overall mobility is so-so.

Overall, for a goalie his age and NHL experience that's pretty good. Who knows how he turns out but so far-so good.

I think Markstrom is actually a very good high ceiling comparable to him. Reminds me of a Jonathan Bernier but with size.

I’d love some video support for this assessment, particularly the cons. I actually don’t fully understand bullet 2 and would appreciate a rephrase

I’ve been quite impressed so far
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:57 AM   #6
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

And the correct answer to TC is “hell, yes, he deserves his own thread.”

He has a franchise record points in his first 5 games, eclipsing the previous mark of 3, not to mention 2 shutouts

And he was the game story in his only loss, in OT.

Threadworthy, indeed

But it should be a “Dan Frickin’ Vladar” thread, not a pedestrian “guy x is a team y goalie”.

Even better than just doing something is doing it right
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

I second 'Dan Frickin Vladar'

It's early, I know, and a very small sample size, but man it makes such a huge difference to feel confident when the backup is in the net.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I’d love some video support for this assessment, particularly the cons. I actually don’t fully understand bullet 2 and would appreciate a rephrase

I’ve been quite impressed so far
So hard to find video on him. I went through the game highlights against Boston but 90% of the highlights are the Flames beating up on the Bruins LOL.

As for bullet 2: Attacker comes down the right wing and shoots far side (which would be Vladar's blocker side). I've seen him over play the short (glove) side a lot or be positionally ok but react late to it. Haven't seen him get caught on it yet as the shooter either missed or Vladar barely got a sliver of his body on it.

To be fair, that's one of the more difficult shots to save. Jarome made a living on it.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Plutanamo Bay.
Exp:
Default

Wearing #80 is also dope as ####.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
DazzlinDino
#1 Goaltender
 
DazzlinDino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grew up in Calgary now living in USA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
So hard to find video on him. I went through the game highlights against Boston but 90% of the highlights are the Flames beating up on the Bruins LOL.

As for bullet 2: Attacker comes down the right wing and shoots far side (which would be Vladar's blocker side). I've seen him over play the short (glove) side a lot or be positionally ok but react late to it. Haven't seen him get caught on it yet as the shooter either missed or Vladar barely got a sliver of his body on it.

To be fair, that's one of the more difficult shots to save. Jarome made a living on it.

Small sample size, do you still think your assessment was fair, or just a personal observation, opinion?

If it was Mike Smith he probably would have come out of the net far too much and let in some week goals. Vladar on the other hand does a lot of good things. Markström's experience probably also comes in handy.

I like the way Vladar kicks pucks away with his pads down, the speed at which the puck goes to the sides or corners is hard to get a rebound. The overtime loss where the puck bounced off Markström's pad then straight to an incoming player made me think about how Vladar makes that play a little differently. Was interesting to see Markström using that kick with his pad down against Chicago. Maybe these guys feed off each other.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #11
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger
 
Gaudreau is a Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lethbridge
Exp:
Flames

It was my favorite transaction Tre made this past summer
__________________
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player
 
Johnny Makarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I second 'Dan Frickin Vladar'

It's early, I know, and a very small sample size, but man it makes such a huge difference to feel confident when the backup is in the net.
I like Dan Vlader.
__________________
Peter12 "I'm no Trump fan but he is smarter than most if not everyone in this thread. ”
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #13
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
So hard to find video on him. I went through the game highlights against Boston but 90% of the highlights are the Flames beating up on the Bruins LOL.

As for bullet 2: Attacker comes down the right wing and shoots far side (which would be Vladar's blocker side). I've seen him over play the short (glove) side a lot or be positionally ok but react late to it. Haven't seen him get caught on it yet as the shooter either missed or Vladar barely got a sliver of his body on it.

To be fair, that's one of the more difficult shots to save. Jarome made a living on it.

Ah, that shot. It’s a tough shot to save if well placed, 14 inches, just above the pad and inside the post. Haven’t noticed it as a concern but will keep my eye out for that when Vladar is playing.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

He didn't really get away. He was given away by the Bruins, and stolen by us.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #16
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Small sample size, do you still think your assessment was fair, or just a personal observation, opinion?

If it was Mike Smith he probably would have come out of the net far too much and let in some week goals. Vladar on the other hand does a lot of good things. Markström's experience probably also comes in handy.

I like the way Vladar kicks pucks away with his pads down, the speed at which the puck goes to the sides or corners is hard to get a rebound. The overtime loss where the puck bounced off Markström's pad then straight to an incoming player made me think about how Vladar makes that play a little differently. Was interesting to see Markström using that kick with his pad down against Chicago. Maybe these guys feed off each other.
Oh god, that’s a very very early assessment. More a collection of things I’ve noticed. And I like trying to technically break down goalie styles.

And Mike Smith hasn’t challenged shots in years. Smith will sit on the goal line, anchor to the post and be surrounded by blue. Then probably blow a hissy fit after getting up when he’s done with his patented belly flop.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I know it wasn’t the exact pick but to be able to get a 3rd for Rittich and turn around and get a younger cheaper guy for the same price we got for a rental is great work.

Markstrom-Vlader-Wolf has this organization looking set in net both short and long term
Chechelev is a real wild card as well. Still a bit of a mystery box, but a pretty intriguing goalie prospect nonetheless. Sergeeg also looks to be progressing quite well and is dominating in the USHL.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #18
talladega.25
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I know it wasn’t the exact pick but to be able to get a 3rd for Rittich and turn around and get a younger cheaper guy for the same price we got for a rental is great work.

Markstrom-Vlader-Wolf has this organization looking set in net both short and long term
I agree, I like Werner too! I hope the Flames re-up him. Good depth and has some upside.
talladega.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #19
Geeoff
Franchise Player
 
Geeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Pros:
Excellent command of the Force.
Style sense is on point.

Cons:
That business with the younglings.
Hopefully, he hates the Oilers as much as he hates sand

Keeps Connor looking for goals in Alderaan places.

Last edited by Geeoff; 11-25-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #20
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback
 
cowtown75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Airdrie
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Chechelev is a real wild card as well. Still a bit of a mystery box, but a pretty intriguing goalie prospect nonetheless. Sergeeg also looks to be progressing quite well and is dominating in the USHL.
Sergeeg has been very dominant. Man the Flames are deep in net.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021