Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #3422
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No. Your premise is wrong. The Flames are currently built for, and playing perfectly to, the way the game has been, and will be called and played in the playoffs.

We don't need it to change. And we don't want it to change.

They built the team to fit the environment. Unlike the Oilers, who have a flawed team, and are thus desperately trying to change the environment, in order to accommodate them.

This is what I’m saying. And as far as Oilstain suggesting that the flames would benefit from more powerplays… of course. Every team would. The point is if you have a team that consistently outplays other teams at 5 on 5 then, all things being EQUAL, they will have more success against those teams in the playoffs. If playoff hockey starts becoming more and more about calling penalties, then they won’t be playing at 5-on-5 anymore… things will not be equal. More powerplays will obviously benefit the team with the best powerplay in the league… which is obviously Edmonton. No one should pretend that it would benefit any team as much as it would the oilers.

Oil stain is making this push for more powerplays in the playoffs simply because that is the only way Edmonton could have success in the post-season. If the flames play the same way they are now in the playoffs… they won’t need more powerplays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #3423
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly.

And then the other thing is - what does he mean by 'calling the game more squarely'? It is being called squarely. To argue differently would suggest there is a bias from the refs. Good luck with that argument.

Edmonton, and Edmonton fans, are no good
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #3424
TheSquatch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"This guy's so great we should literally change the game to make him a champion."

And the screwed up thing is, the league is all-in on this BS narrative too, because they want a poster-boy. It's awful. No. Good.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #3425
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
This is what I’m saying. And as far as Oilstain suggesting that the flames would benefit from more powerplays… of course. Every team would. The point is if you have a team that consistently outplays other teams at 5 on 5 then, all things being EQUAL, they will have more success against those teams in the playoffs. If playoff hockey starts becoming more and more about calling penalties, then they won’t be playing at 5-on-5 anymore… things will not be equal. More powerplays will obviously benefit the team with the best powerplay in the league… which is obviously Edmonton. No one should pretend that it would benefit any team as much as it would the oilers.

Oil stain is making this push for more powerplays in the playoffs simply because that is the only way Edmonton could have success in the post-season. If the flames play the same way they are now in the playoffs… they won’t need more powerplays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The goal isn't for more powerplays. It's for a cleaner game, free of obstruction that allows more skilled players to not get drug down to the level of whoever is doing the dragging.

Flames were on a roll before in the regular season and got bullied out of the playoffs by a bigger team.

Maybe some people think Johnny has shone in the playoffs in the past. I think he won't until the league allows him to play without being complicit in other less skilled players holding him back.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #3426
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league may want to see it and provide a conducive environment for him to thrive. But other teams won't simply roll over for him to get it, thankfully.

No one partaking in the games gives a #### about McDavid or his success. And I wouldn't mind karma coming back for his lame flops and multiple high elbows and he gets blasted into the next dimension when he tries to split the D in the playoffs like this is the OHL or something.

McDorov can take the honors if he likes. Bring on the lynch mobs of losers that can't handle the fact that he's fair game.

All the babies, fans and media personalities are utter losers.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #3427
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The goal isn't for more powerplays. It's for a cleaner game, free of obstruction that allows more skilled players to not get drug down to the level of whoever is doing the dragging.

Flames were on a roll before in the regular season and got bullied out of the playoffs by a bigger team.

Maybe some people think Johnny has shone in the playoffs in the past. I think he won't until the league allows him to play without being complicit in other less skilled players holding him back.
Except no one was complaining that the Flames got bullied because the refs weren't calling penalties. The whole team got pushed around because the Avs were playing much better/tighter hockey.

What Oiler fans are asking for now is that no one be allowed to touch McDavid without getting a penalty. That is a whole different can of worms.
What you're describing is basically the all star game. Famously, super exciting hockey that everyone wants to watch all year!!!!!

I don't want to watch hockey where no one is allowed to touch anyone else. I want to watch good, hard played, tight checking hockey. You know the kind that gets played in the playoffs because everyone knows you can't take a shift off, and everyone is committed (usually).
Again, that is much different than what Oiler fans are asking for.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #3428
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For the record, what you are describing there is otherwise known as "Playing defence".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #3429
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want the path to the cup to be a battle and a marathon, where bodies are held together with tape by the time you're deep into the fourth round.

If you don't want it that way, I'm afraid you weren't really a fan of this game as it has been for years to begin with.

If you want All-Star no contact hockey start to finish, start a new league.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #3430
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Johnny definitely played a lot better in the 2020 playoffs than he did in 2019 and I think he’ll play better in the playoffs under Sutter’s system
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #3431
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The only years Calgary was on such a roll were 2017 and 2019

One of those years we outplayed the other team and lost because our goalie was letting in 40 foot shots from the periphery while their goalie went full Lundqvist.

The other year, the other team, who were already peaking late in the season, get to magically add a freakin elite defenseman in 5'10" Makar straight out of college, and the pair of Makar and MacKinnon tore our team apart. They also beat us with the speed of their depth forwards and some questionable gap management by our second D pair. The Flames didn't get bullied at all. And really, weren't on much of a roll at all either, they sort of cruised into the playoffs with their top line not having played well in months.

Quote:
The guys who have shut Gaudreau down in the playoffs have been stick/skating/positioning defensemen like Alex Edler, Chrid Tanev, Hampus Lindholm, Miro Heiskanen. These aren't 6'5" 230lb guys grabbing Gaudreau and waterskiing. Most of the time though Gaudreau's playoff struggles seem to be good goaltending at the other end. And we've scored plenty of powerplay goals in the playoffs, too.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #3432
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are talking about the team as it was in 2018/19

The Flames have made significant changes in order to be more equipped for the playoffs. Your assessment of the team is wrong.

Even your assessment of Gaudreau is out of date. He is playing a much more complete game this year, with a higher compete level. If he can't compete in the playoffs, it's up to him to figure it out.

If you want a comparison, look at Datsyuk. Was horrible for a few years. He didn't cry, he figured it out.

Gretzky figured it out. Lemieux figured it out. So did every one else. No one, outside of Edmonton or Sportsnet, wants to water down the game.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #3433
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Yeah the Flames didn't get bullied by the Avs because they were slashed, hooked, held, interfered with.........they got bullied because the Avs were just a much better team, much faster, and they steamrolled the Flames. Pretty massive difference.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #3434
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yeah the Flames didn't get bullied by the Avs because they were slashed, hooked, held, interfered with.........they got bullied because the Avs were just a much better team, much faster, and they steamrolled the Flames. Pretty massive difference.
They channeled their inner Sutter, more or less.

Played faster, and dictated as a result.

Flames suffered from lackluster team speed that Sutter identified the moment he entered the fold.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #3435
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I want to see guys go end to end and rack up points untouched I'll watch Basketball. And with all due respect to those who like basketball, I find it boring, lame and full of premadonas.

Hockey is supposed to be a tough, physical sport to play. Sorry Edmonton
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #3436
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I WANT it to be hard to score in the playoffs. I WANT intense, physical play where you have to earn space and earn your offense.

I do NOT want a skills competition.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #3437
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I WANT it to be hard to score in the playoffs. I WANT intense, physical play where you have to earn space and earn your offense.

I do NOT want a skills competition.
It's part of the the entire allure of the sport.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #3438
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
If I want to see guys go end to end and rack up points untouched I'll watch Basketball.
The NBA isn’t even like that. They changed the rules this year to lower down the amount of touch fouls players were getting over the past few years
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #3439
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's part of the the entire allure of the sport.
In fact, it's its backbone
Old 11-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #3440
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why it's pathetic. Friedman is essentially putting McDavid above the sport. I don't understand how any one can be such a fan of this bland, personalityless me-first guy that they want to change the fabric of the sport for him.

People were content to let Crosby earn his championships and accolades even though he was getting concussed with regularity a few years into his career. And it made it all the more impressive when he persevered.

I don't understand what makes Connor the exception that Crosby wasn't. Why do people want this so badly for this guy. Hes not even near as likeable a person as Sid.

Stardom is made, not handed out. He doesn't deserve us changing a thing about this awesome game that existed long before his pansy, diving ass.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: