Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #3361
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
Pretty much what every team knows, Oilers score on the power play. Limit their PP time and it's a win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The oilers know it too, that's why they are campaigning so hard for more powerplays and resorting to diving.

Reminds me of the canucks during the sedins time there. Especially during their contention window.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #3362
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Have they really?

The big tough additions are playing depth roles and the Flames are winning due to Hasek level goaltending and huge offensive contributions from small guys (Gaudreau,Mangipiane,Kylington).

Goaltending will help in the playoffs, but how are the three guys mentioned going to thrive when they are held, slashed, and interfered with?

If anything Flames fans should also be pushing for the game to be called squarely. It's their best chance at success.
Tell me you don’t watch the Flames without telling me you don’t watch the Flames
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #3363
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part about winning due to Hasek levels of goaltending is hilarious. Hasek constantly bailed out teams that were being dominated. That isn't happening here. Hasek was a freak of nature and no goalies in the NHL at the moment could hold a candle to him, in my humble opinion of course.

Both goalies are doing their jobs, but the shutouts and low goals allowed have been a team effort.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #3364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...box=1637859231

Quote:
But the star was hit with a two-minute minor for bad taste — and lack of colour.
One wag tweeted: “After seeing Connor McDavid’s house I no longer wish to be rich. If it means living in a monochromatic home with no personality, how the hell am I supposed to eat pizza rolls in that house?”
Another added: “Fantastic, it’s McDavid House Tour time again, when we continue to ask the question: what did colours do to offend these two?”
Quote:
Still, that didn’t stop catcalls from the cheap seats, with at least one wag likening it to a serial killer’s abode.
“McDavid’s house is cool in like a hedge-fund billionaire who is secretly a serial killer kind of way,” one Twitter user commented.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #3365
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When I saw Connors house I thought of the scene from Heat

Last edited by White Out 403; 11-25-2021 at 12:52 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #3366
DazzlinDino
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With the Oilers, sportsnet and the players on the ice constantly campaigning for penalty calls, the officials have to be getting sick of it.

I mean frankly I've talked to a lot of officials, more in football then anything else. But if you constantly try to embarrass officials they will literally stop working with you at some point. The Oilers and everyone else is actively trying to do this. It took a while a few years ago, but in the Stanley Cup finals the Canucks paid for their diving strategies.

I noticed Connor campaigning for a penalty on that power play. I think the only solution at this point and it will piss off everyone is if the refs started calling unsportsmen likes and embellishment calls on the Oilers, and the league phones up the Oilers and tells them to stop being embarrassments.

I remember in one game I coached, our bench was screaming at the refs for every single mistake real and otherwise, and I was thinking, we're not going to get a single call in our favor because of this, because its the only way that refs can show displeasure with our antics without going to the next step which is tossing coaches out.

The Oilers and their people need to stop this, its become unprofessional.

Interesting how hyped up this campaign is; When you do an internet search on "Lack of calls McDavid", not only a long list of complaints comes up, but Youtube vids from 2016 and 2019/20 come up complaining about lack of calls on McDavid. Seems this has been a regular campaign for a few years now, they are just hyping it up so they can keep that powerplay machine going...

It is a poor man's strategy to win more games.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #3367
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The part about winning due to Hasek levels of goaltending is hilarious. Hasek constantly bailed out teams that were being dominated. That isn't happening here. Hasek was a freak of nature and no goalies in the NHL at the moment could hold a candle to him, in my humble opinion of course.

Both goalies are doing their jobs, but the shutouts and low goals allowed have been a team effort.
How many more shutouts do you think Markstrom will have this season?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #3368
Burning Beard
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
More than Koskinen, Smith and Skinner combined I reckon. Hahaha.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #3369
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
More than Koskinen, Smith and Skinner combined I reckon. Hahaha.
You think he'll put up another 5 or 10?
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #3370
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe none. But that's not the point. Hasek often bailed out bad teams, teams getting outplayed and outshot to keep them in the game. That's not what's happening here. The Flames are playing well, and well defensively. Having the goalies play great is nice, it's a bonus.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #3371
Burning Beard
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You think he'll put up another 5 or 10?
He could only put up one more and it's still more than all those three sieves combined.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #3372
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Maybe none. But that's not the point. Hasek often bailed out bad teams, teams getting outplayed and outshot to keep them in the game. That's not what's happening here. The Flames are playing well, and well defensively. Having the goalies play great is nice, it's a bonus.
It's completely unsustainable.

Fans often ignore good chances when the goalie makes the save.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #3373
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And how many of those shutouts would have been wins if the goalies had given up 2 goals? How about 3?

The answer is
2 - All of them
3 - all but one, which would have gone to OT

That's the thing. Are the Flames getting unreal goaltending? Yup they sure are.
Could they win without it? Sure looks that way.

You wanna ask the same questions about the Oiler's power play?

That's how hockey works. When a team is playing good hockey, and getting amazing goaltending, they look like world beaters.
If one of those things goes cold for a while they can weather the storm and hang in there until the ship rights itself.

When you're a 1 line team, who is winning games on the strength of a ridiculous powerplay, what is there to keep things from falling apart when that 1 thing goes cold?

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 11-25-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #3374
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Eventually they do. Right now though the Oilers have had a really soft schedule.

The schedule maker obviously can't control when a coach decides to play their backup or third stringer but they can control who they play and when.
Only to a small extent. Arena availability plays a factor as does the opponents travel schedule. When an eastern team comes to Calgary they will typically also play Edmonton and Vancouver so the schedule needs to accommodate dates in all three cities, not just one. When the Flames (or Oilers) travel to Florida they are going to play a few games against other eastern teams on the same trip. All those cities need availability within a pretty small window to accommodate this.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #3375
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL - what difference does it make?

(hint: either argument could be 'supported' with respect to either lots more shutouts, or none)

You have yet to say anything that demonstrates that you have some idea about what is currently happening with the Flames
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #3376
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More than Smith and Koskinen combined
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #3377
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

Looks of talk about stats but many here don't seem to understand them.
Okay hold on. You brought up Hasek. I'm saying there's a difference on a lot of the teams Hasek played on and how he had to stand on his head to give his team a chance, and what's happening right now in Calgary. The Flames are outplaying and outshooting a lot of teams this season, having the goalies play great as well is an added bonus. They're not winning just because of the goalies.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #3378
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Okay hold on. You brought up Hasek. I'm saying there's a difference on a lot of the teams Hasek played on and how he had to stand on his head to give his team a chance, and what's happening right now in Calgary. The Flames are outplaying and outshooting a lot of teams this season, having the goalies play great as well is an added bonus. They're not winning just because of the goalies.
Flames have the best ES save% in the history of the NHL right now.

That's lucky. I'm not saying they aren't playing well 5 on 5, but there is no way they are going to sustain this kind of save percentage.

They are getting a lot of luck.

If you can't acknowledge that, it's not my problem.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #3379
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Again, proof you haven't watched.

The Flames have had lights-out goaltending about 3 times this year. There have been at least as many games (more) where fans thought the goaltending wasn't great (one or two soft goals).

I don't know how many times people need to explain this to you, but the team defense is giving up very few 5 alarm chances - most nights there are none. The goaltending has been solid, but it has not been the story. The story has been how well the Flames have played without the puck, and how few real chances they have given up.

There have been multiple games this year where the commentators for the other team remarked at how difficult it was to generate changes against the Flames. THAT has been the theme.

I understand how you, as an Oiler fan, want to find something to scratch at, but the simple fact of the matter is that you have completely missed the mark here. Completely.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #3380
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A 1-0 shutout is the difference between winning and losing.
A 5-0 shutout is the difference between being mad at some dude on a message board for saying shutout and winning with a shutout.

Now tell me

how many 1-0 shutouts Markstrom has

versus

how many shutouts where the Flames gave him 3 goals or more before the first or second period was even over.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: