Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #3341
Tkachukwagon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I see McPoints got the empty net goal last night against the Coyotes. Of course he did, it's all about the points and individual awards for him while a handful of the Oilers 3rd and 4th liners are pointless on the year.

Makes me even prouder of Lucic the other night protecting Lewis' ENG.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #3342
GhostCookie
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

It’s so bad that it feels like it’s part of the play style and coaching strategy. I could just see video team meetings where the oilers coaching staff are showing replays of their games and saying “see right here - that guy got really close to you in the neutral zone - we have to make sure we get something out of that. Swing your arms up, snap your neck back, drop your stick like it was slashed, roll over… anything to get that call. And make sure you look directly at the ref immediately to complain if there isn’t a call. If we do that enough times, the refs will start to feel they owe us one. These are the little details we have to be doing as a team to be successful.”

Take the fall. Act hurt. Get Indignant.

I'd say we'll see the flying V soon, but that would require McDrai to go more than 3 feet into their own zone.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #3343
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
*STUFF*
Are you lost? This is not the thread to be musing about how the Flames might fare in tbe playoffs.

Edmonton is no good. And if you ever had any doubt of that, Oil Stain is in here talking as if the nonsense, embarrassing display by the Oilers in front of officials is all about calling the game "square."

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #3344
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
I see McPoints got the empty net goal last night against the Coyotes. Of course he did, it's all about the points and individual awards for him while a handful of the Oilers 3rd and 4th liners are pointless on the year.

Makes me even prouder of Lucic the other night protecting Lewis' ENG.
Honestly it's their team strategy.

Feed McDavid and Draisaitl all the PP minutes and soft minutes to try to rack up the goal and point totals.

Rest of the team just needs to not get scored on in the tough minutes.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #3345
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

McDesigns place look like it was designed by an 18 year old who just read Cliche Weekly.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #3346
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly it's their team strategy.

Feed McDavid and Draisaitl all the PP minutes and soft minutes to try to rack up the goal and point totals.

Rest of the team just needs to not get scored on in the tough minutes.
Yeah, its a despicable strategy but also probably the only strategy that will allow them to win games as their roster is total dog#### outside of those two players.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #3347
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post

“That ugly cat?!? Is his name Hunter…?!?”

(Worth watching this whole thing. https://twitter.com/bparkertv/status...313632261?s=21 )
He also says they have Roy Kent playing on the team.
Who is it? Looch?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #3348
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Man, while usually I'm all for E=NG jokes and making fun of the Oilers, that McMansion video actually made me uncomfortable in a completely different way.

I get the sense that Connor might be somewhere on the autism spectrum, and he's being taken advantage of by someone who really likes to spend his money on realllly dumb ####.

I hope I'm dead wrong and they're in a loving relationship.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #3349
chummer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He also says they have Roy Kent playing on the team.
Who is it? Looch?
Dube, the resemblance is uncanny.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/dube...er/c-326314562

Last edited by chummer; 11-25-2021 at 10:51 AM.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #3350
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

McDavid is top five over the last three years in drawing penalties at 63. This year he's down the list around 10th but still in the mix.

Not sure they're going about this the right way.

I mean if you look there's a penalty that could/should be called in every shift of every game played; we all know that. But by making it about one player alone and not "skilled players", or "stars" or "call the book", they're making it tough on officials.

Last night McDavid put his hand up to call a penalty during a second period powerplay with the Oilers already up a man.

If I'm a ref that pisses me off.

If I'm pissed off and I feel this kid is pushing a marketing campaign to change how I do my job I look the other way.

I think Gaudreau got in some trouble with this a few years ago waving his hands after getting slashed. He was right, he was slashed. But it's not the way to go about it.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #3351
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Have they really?

The big tough additions are playing depth roles and the Flames are winning due to Hasek level goaltending and huge offensive contributions from small guys (Gaudreau,Mangipiane,Kylington).

Goaltending will help in the playoffs, but how are the three guys mentioned going to thrive when they are held, slashed, and interfered with?

If anything Flames fans should also be pushing for the game to be called squarely. It's their best chance at success.
Sorry, but that is a horrible take on the Flames. It's difficult to even reply, because every single thing is wrong. Watch some games - the Flames are winning because 18 skaters are all playing the same way - the right way. They aren't relying on the PP to score goals, they generate offense through hard work.

And no, they aren't getting Hasek-level goaltending. They are getting solid goaltending and are giving up few rebounds and open net tap-ins.

The Flames are playing as close to playoff hockey as any team in the NHL right now.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #3352
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s funny how shallow the analysis of “McDavid possess the puck a lot but doesn’t draw penalties” is. The Oilers have a great powerplay. Is it shocking that teams try to avoid taking penalties against them? Is it shocking that they are especially careful around a focal guy like McDavid?

Shaq drew a lot of fouls because people didn’t mind him taking free throws. This is the converse.
GioforPM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #3353
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Edmonton is no good. And if you ever had any doubt of that, Oil Stain is in here talking as if the nonsense, embarrassing display by the Oilers in front of officials is all about calling the game "square."
This is exactly the point. The utter lunacy of calling the game "square". The game has never been called tighter, players have never been more conscious and conscientious of the body and sticks. With that, you can pretty much call an infraction on every single shift.

This isn't surprising. It is a fast contact sport and calling "every penalty" would result in 4 hour games with players only further avoiding and conflicts that could be penalized.

Everyone in awe of McDavid cutting through defenders like a hot knife through butter bewildering the players with his skill forgets this exact point.

These players are trying to not take a penalty on him.

Bure and Mario didn't have this luxury, not even Sid.

When Sid didn't like the calls against him he was labelled a whiner and told to shut it.

He endured, matured, carried on, and proceeded to develop all aspects of his game to be a better teammate and win championships.

What he didn't do was double and triple down on the whining and manipulate the situation through both his franchise and the hockey media as water carriers feeding his sob story so he can be some wanderlusting Mario Lemieux 2.0 pining for the nostalgia of the 1990s.

He built his own legacy and his own standards which his entire team is held accountable to in practice, by him, by his coach, in all areas of the ice and facets of the game.

Burke has stated they have the best practice habits in the league because of him.

As a result, the Penguins have and continue to be good.
The Oilers are nothing like the Penguins.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #3354
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
McDavid is top five over the last three years in drawing penalties at 63. This year he's down the list around 10th but still in the mix.

I mean if you look there's a penalty that could/should be called in every shift of every game played; we all know that. But by making it about one player alone and not "skilled players", or "stars" or "call the book", they're making it tough on officials.

Last night McDavid put his hand up to call a penalty during a second period powerplay with the Oilers already up a man.

If I'm pissed off and I feel this kid is pushing a marketing campaign to change how I do my job I look the other way.

I think Gaudreau got in some trouble with this a few years ago waving his hands after getting slashed. He was right, he was slashed. But it's not the way to go about it.

With the Oilers, sportsnet and the players on the ice constantly campaigning for penalty calls, the officials have to be getting sick of it.

I mean frankly I've talked to a lot of officials, more in football then anything else. But if you constantly try to embarrass officials they will literally stop working with you at some point. The Oilers and everyone else is actively trying to do this. It took a while a few years ago, but in the Stanley Cup finals the Canucks paid for their diving strategies.

I noticed Connor campaigning for a penalty on that power play. I think the only solution at this point and it will piss off everyone is if the refs started calling unsportsmen likes and embellishment calls on the Oilers, and the league phones up the Oilers and tells them to stop being embarrassments.

I remember in one game I coached, our bench was screaming at the refs for every single mistake real and otherwise, and I was thinking, we're not going to get a single call in our favor because of this, because its the only way that refs can show displeasure with our antics without going to the next step which is tossing coaches out.

The Oilers and their people need to stop this, its become unprofessional.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #3355
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I agree, but the narrative is already starting to change on that.

Since the beginning of the season it has been 'there should be more calls on McDavid' 'fans want to see McDavid' etc. But the last couple times I have seen him (and I try to avoid him now), Friedman has been saying 'there should be more calls on McDavid and the stars of the game' and 'fans want to see the stars play'

It was a very clear attempt, each time, to add or substitute 'the stars' in his narrative.

Also, yes, that play where he raised his arm like a soccer player - while the Oilers were already on a PP' was the kind of thing that is going to come back to bite him in the ass. Refs hate that. And why shouldn't they?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #3356
Infinit47
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Have they really?

The big tough additions are playing depth roles and the Flames are winning due to Hasek level goaltending and huge offensive contributions from small guys (Gaudreau,Mangipiane,Kylington).

Goaltending will help in the playoffs, but how are the three guys mentioned going to thrive when they are held, slashed, and interfered with?

If anything Flames fans should also be pushing for the game to be called squarely. It's their best chance at success.
Couple funny thing in here.

1. Oilers fans don't want the game called squarely, they want all the embarrassing dives and embellishments by their team to be called. That McDavid dive in Dallas was embarrassing.

2. It's not a surprise that Oilers fans can't recognize what a good TEAM game looks like, and how when a team works together it makes all of the players better (including goalies). See Anderson, Frederik.

3. Being small and playing small are very different. See Mangiapane, Andrew.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #3357
bzoo02
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pretty much what every team knows, Oilers score on the power play. Limit their PP time and it's a win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #3358
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Yeah, its a despicable strategy but also probably the only strategy that will allow them to win games as their roster is total dog#### outside of those two players.
Theoretically, there is more than enough talent on the team to create a Sutter-like system. I don't see the stars on that team buying into a system like that though. That would require players like Draisaitl to play along the boards consistently, instead of just cherry picking opportunities to catch opposing players off guard.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #3359
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
Pretty much what every team knows, Oilers score on the power play. Limit their PP time and it's a win.
The only issue is that the Oilers have learned how to whine and complain enough to manipulate the officials into calling things that they shouldn't. Even the media is being wagged into it which just compounds it.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #3360
bzoo02
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The only issue is that the Oilers have learned how to whine and complain enough to manipulate the officials into calling things that they shouldn't. Even the media is being wagged into it which just compounds it.
I agree. But to that point Refs are still regular people and they are going to get frustrated with all the diving and whining and likely won't give them the benefit of the doubt much longer.

I'm sure they watch highlights like us and see McDiver for what he is.

Bold prediction: McDavid has 4 diving calls by the New year, and is fined once.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote