Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #21
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I’m a retired financial advisor. I don’t want to horn in on Slava’s thread but will mention that my wife and I are heavily leveraged. It’s right for me but may not be for you or, I would say, for the average person. I used to ask several standard questions to determine suitability when clients asked about leveraging. It’s great when your portfolio is doing well but it’s a tough test when the market turns. I have a high risk tolerance and have been leveraged for 20 years. Best to sit down with someone like Slava to discuss; he’ll be able to assess suitability. I’ll add that dealers are much more strict about leveraging than they were years ago, and won’t allow it in some cases if they don’t feel it’s suitable.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 04-29-2021 at 02:15 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #22
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

What kind of advisor should I seek?

I own a business that allows for dividends to my spouse as I own a retail store. I'm starting to earn enough that investments will now be more important, but I have a business to use as a vehicle for that potentially. However, it's complicated as it's a franchise so there are rules and limitations and some unique ways in which I get my inncome.

Is there a specialist type of advisor? Or would most wealth advisors be able to help me plan? I'm really a newb here but I really need to start getting some help planning here. Also, I'm in BC so that may matter too
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
What kind of advisor should I seek?

I own a business that allows for dividends to my spouse as I own a retail store. I'm starting to earn enough that investments will now be more important, but I have a business to use as a vehicle for that potentially. However, it's complicated as it's a franchise so there are rules and limitations and some unique ways in which I get my inncome.

Is there a specialist type of advisor? Or would most wealth advisors be able to help me plan? I'm really a newb here but I really need to start getting some help planning here. Also, I'm in BC so that may matter too
A good financial planner should be able to help you with that. You want someone who holds the CFP designation (Certified Financial Planner), and they can walk you through the tax issues surrounding the corporation and dividends. I'm guessing that you have an accountant already, and a good advisor will communicate with that accountant so that you can make sure that you're all on the same page and going in that same direction.

It shouldn't be overly complicated, but I'm not entirely sure where the issues and limitations with the franchise are going to factor in there. That's why I'd make sure that you have the accountant in that discussion, at least at the outset.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #24
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
A good financial planner should be able to help you with that. You want someone who holds the CFP designation (Certified Financial Planner), and they can walk you through the tax issues surrounding the corporation and dividends. I'm guessing that you have an accountant already, and a good advisor will communicate with that accountant so that you can make sure that you're all on the same page and going in that same direction.

It shouldn't be overly complicated, but I'm not entirely sure where the issues and limitations with the franchise are going to factor in there. That's why I'd make sure that you have the accountant in that discussion, at least at the outset.
I have spoken in the past with other owners and they have all kinds of trusts and investment vehicles I've not heard of and sounds far more complicated than I know. I'm sitting on a bunch of cash not doing anything and my accountant has been bugging me for a while to get a Financial Planner, but I've been procrastinating to my own detriment. I literally just finished doing up a will and getting life insurance as a 42 year old professional with 3 kids. Dumb
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I have spoken in the past with other owners and they have all kinds of trusts and investment vehicles I've not heard of and sounds far more complicated than I know. I'm sitting on a bunch of cash not doing anything and my accountant has been bugging me for a while to get a Financial Planner, but I've been procrastinating to my own detriment. I literally just finished doing up a will and getting life insurance as a 42 year old professional with 3 kids. Dumb
Sorry I missed this, but you aren't out of the ordinary in terms of waiting for the will and life insurance! A lot of people put that kind of thing off until they get a little more settled.

Investing for you shouldn't be incredibly complicated though. I have a lot of clients who have businesses and while there are some considerations as far as tax, it's still not that crazy! I would also say that while you should have a basic understanding of what's happening and how things are structured for you, you don't have to be an expert in these things; that's why you're having an advisor or planner work with you. I think that the ideal thing for you (or someone in your situation) is to feel comfortable asking a lot of questions and don't be afraid to ask things based on thinking that "everyone else knows that". A good advisor would walk you through things and be more than happy to explain why they're structuring things the way they are, give you an explanation of the investments and investment vehicles and overall just help educate you.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

I've seen various surveys that suggest 50-70 % of adults do not have a Will!

https://www.legalwills.ca/blog/canadians-without-wills/

Quote:
A 2013 CIBC survey put the number at “about half”, while a 2012 LawPRO survey claimed that 56% of Canadians did not have a Will in place. Most recently, in 2014 the BC Notaries reported a number of 55% of British Columbians without a Will.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggieg...h=4b621f145238
__________________
http://navigator.law
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #27
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I've seen various surveys that suggest 50-70 % of adults do not have a Will!

https://www.legalwills.ca/blog/canadians-without-wills/





https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggieg...h=4b621f145238
Story time. I am 42, have a 22 year old son from when I was a teenager, and am now married for 10 years and have two children 9, 4. I own a business and own a house. I knew a will was imprtant and was going to get one.... for years.

My Dad is remarried for 22 years and his Wife has 4 daughters. The oldest daughter lost the youngest of their two children to a heart issue at 12 years old. His older brother was 26 and was on his way to work early one morning last October from Grande Cache to Grande Prairie and died in a head on collision. He had a wife and 3 children under 5. Thankfully he had some insurance through work and had told his mom where his will was just a few days before as they had gone and finalized it.

My Dad was supposed to come and watch my children so my wife and I could celebrate our 10th anniversary this year and he refused until I got my will done. I'm very glad he did.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #28
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

We bought will packages for both of our adult children and their spouses.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #29
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player
 
Badgers Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Exp:
Default

What services do you recommend for getting a will?

DIY kit or lawyer?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #30
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Use a lawyer, not DIY. There are lawyers on this site, or I know someone who will do a professional will for about half the price (remotely).
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #31
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Yeah I would only recommend a professionally completed will. While it’s true that a holographic will is legal in Alberta, I wouldn’t do that. I’d do one with a lawyer and as importantly, do the power of attorney and personal directive at the same time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #32
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player
 
Badgers Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Exp:
Default

Seems like the going rate is $800 for individual or $1100 for couples, does that seem right?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #33
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player
 
VladtheImpaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Troutman's crew...
__________________
Cordially as always,
Vlad the Impaler

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Seems like the going rate is $800 for individual or $1100 for couples, does that seem right?
Iíd shop around a bit and you can get it done cheaper.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #35
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Seems like the going rate is $800 for individual or $1100 for couples, does that seem right?
I literally just left the lawyer's office with my wife and we were quoted "around" $1000.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

So I have a meeting scheduled with a financial planner (or wealth management or whatever they're calling it) to talk about an investment / retirement strategy. I'm making enough now that it makes good sense for me to start shuffling some of it into an RRSP to defer some taxes, and I figure there may be some other opportunities I might want to avail myself of that will pay off down the line.

What would people suggest I read to educate myself before I go into that meeting?

EDIT: On the wills stuff, I will just anecdotally say that I don't understand why other lawyers even do it. People want a will done for under $1K and the absolute time bomb of professional liability that can accompany it if anything goes wrong just doesn't make any sense to me.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-29-2021 at 04:56 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I have a meeting scheduled with a financial planner (or wealth management or whatever they're calling it) to talk about an investment / retirement strategy. I'm making enough now that it makes good sense for me to start shuffling some of it into an RRSP to defer some taxes, and I figure there may be some other opportunities I might want to avail myself of that will pay off down the line.

What would people suggest I read to educate myself before I go into that meeting?

EDIT: On the wills stuff, I will just anecdotally say that I don't understand why other lawyers even do it. People want a will done for under $1K and the absolute time bomb of professional liability that can accompany it if anything goes wrong just doesn't make any sense to me.
Well you should be asking questions about how the money is managed, how theyíre paid, their independence and professional credentials. I would ask about services such as financial planning and estate planning if those are topics that youíre interested in as well.

I think itís good to know how often they want to meet, typically, how many clients they have and whether they have a team of people or itís just them alone.

If it was me, Iíd ask whether theyíre a fiduciary as well. Most people would assume that advisors have to put their clients interests ahead of their own, but unless theyíre a Portfolio Manager, thatís not a requirement. That would be something very important in my opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #38
tony-soprano
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Exp:
Default

I have some questions in regards to crypto currencies, capital gains, and multi company structures.

I'm seeking the most tax efficient route, for my stock trades, crypto trades, long term holdings for both, potential real estate investments. I've been informed that opening a multi company structure corporation would be ideal, to limit any potential liability.

Just not really sure, where to get started, so any guidance would be appreciated.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
I have some questions in regards to crypto currencies, capital gains, and multi company structures.

I'm seeking the most tax efficient route, for my stock trades, crypto trades, long term holdings for both, potential real estate investments. I've been informed that opening a multi company structure corporation would be ideal, to limit any potential liability.

Just not really sure, where to get started, so any guidance would be appreciated.
Well itís something we could chat about, but more something that youíd want to speak to an accountant about. As far as stock and potentially crypto (depends on how your holding these), the most tax efficient is the TFSA/RRSP. It depends on your situation as far as which makes the most sense and such, but overall those are sheltered and about as efficient as you can get.

Obviously, I canít give you much in terms of advice here because I donít know your situation, but if you want to chat more, feel free to reach out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021