Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #3441
Infinit47
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The goal isn't for more powerplays. It's for a cleaner game, free of obstruction that allows more skilled players to not get drug down to the level of whoever is doing the dragging.

Flames were on a roll before in the regular season and got bullied out of the playoffs by a bigger team.

Maybe some people think Johnny has shone in the playoffs in the past. I think he won't until the league allows him to play without being complicit in other less skilled players holding him back.
Part of the reason people here are so turned off of McDavid is he went to the biggest joke of an NHL franchise whose core capabilities are whining and winning draft lotteries. Instead of helping him to get better they immediately make him captain and start to complain how unfair the league is to him. He gets embarassed 5v5 by Winnipeg last playoffs? Better start working on his clapper for the PP. Reduce his minutes in meaningless games? Nope, got to pump those personal stats up.

Kane, Point and St. Louis all got it done in the playoffs. Or did they have special treatment?

McDavid isn't a winner. Hasn't won at any other level, won't win at this level.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #3442
Captain Otto
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
The goal isn't for more powerplays. It's for a cleaner game, free of obstruction that allows more skilled players to not get drug down to the level of whoever is doing the dragging.

Flames were on a roll before in the regular season and got bullied out of the playoffs by a bigger team.

Maybe some people think Johnny has shone in the playoffs in the past. I think he won't until the league allows him to play without being complicit in other less skilled players holding him back.
Why though? I mean I've watched a ton of hockey over last few years, and the product is amazing.

It's fast, tough, hard hitting and so fun to watch. Do I think refs miss things? Of course they do. But not to the point that certain players should be given special treatment.

I'm pretty sure if McDived was on the Flames, you wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #3443
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Why though? I mean I've watched a ton of hockey over last few years, and the product is amazing.

It's fast, tough, hard hitting and so fun to watch. Do I think refs miss things? Of course they do. But not to the point that certain players should be given special treatment.

I'm pretty sure if McDived was on the Flames, you wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Yup.

He's not on the side of "skill players". He just wants them to roll out the red carpet to scoring records and through the playoffs for Connor and their circus team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #3444
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Part of the reason people here are so turned off of McDavid is he went to the biggest joke of an NHL franchise whose core capabilities are whining and winning draft lotteries. Instead of helping him to get better they immediately make him captain and start to complain how unfair the league is to him. He gets embarassed 5v5 by Winnipeg last playoffs? Better start working on his clapper for the PP. Reduce his minutes in meaningless games? Nope, got to pump those personal stats up.

Kane, Point and St. Louis all got it done in the playoffs. Or did they have special treatment?

McDavid isn't a winner. Hasn't won at any other level, won't win at this level.
Exactly. Even the Oilers can’t “ruin” McDavid. They can only squander or at best…marginalize his talent to fit their incompetent groupthink.

In their world it is never their inability to economically assess, develop, and acquire talent to surround McDavid.

It is hockey and NHL referees that are holding them back.

The have no shame and no integrity.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #3445
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah I see, the oiler fan thinks that just because the oilers never play defense nobody else should be allowed to either. Got it, lol.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #3446
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I WANT it to be hard to score in the playoffs. I WANT intense, physical play where you have to earn space and earn your offense.

I do NOT want a skills competition.
Many people thought Panthers/Lightning was the best series in the playoffs last season and they were letting everything go except for absolute must calls
Old 11-25-2021, 09:18 PM   #3447
Titan2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I'd hope the murder dungeon, at least, has a few splashes of colour!
Well, User name checks out, in the most Dexter way possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #3448
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post

You'd probably feel the same way if McDavid was on the Oilers.

Flames fans did make a video showing all the times Minnesota slashed Gaudreau after all......

Hopefully he has learned to play through that stuff for this year's playoffs.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #3449
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Flames fans did make a video showing all the times Minnesota slashed Gaudreau after all......

How tone deaf are you to not comprehend the difference between a penalty and an injury.

Wow.

You know, I probably would feel the same if McDavid was on the Flames if the organization was rule exclusively by incompetent crony groupthinking clowns who worship each other, past glory, and the 1980’s like it was insulin and they had diabetes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #3450
Rutuu
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Ah...Oiler fans are doing it for all of us...now I get it.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #3451
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He has learned.

And he's a better and more respectable player and person for it.

We were mad yes, cause we thought he was injured. But then we got up and put our work boots on and the Flames stuck it to them the next meeting I believe. And after that it was settled. We got our own pound of flesh and carried on.

Maybe Connor could learn a thing or two. Or is he being allowed to with the toxic, whistle blowing, tantrum enabling culture he's surrounded with?

Sometimes tough love is the best way to go. Sometimes the answer isn't that everybody owes you something cause you're special. Its astounding how immature the talking heads are up there not to recognize that. Torts was right. And your bush league media guys got triggered by good advice like it was out of left field. Is there anybody up there that wasn't raised an entitled little ninny?

The league isn't out to get your guy. But he also has to learn that he's not going to be treated like he's special. How are you helping him mature as a player by playing into his immature behavior?

Y'all need to grow up. And grow a pair. No offense.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-25-2021 at 09:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #3452
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would hope that if MacDavid was drafted to the Flames that they would have tried to make him a better person on the ice, and made him less of a me first trophy type of player.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #3453
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He has learned.

And he's a better and more respectable player and person for it..
Learned what? Learned better after getting slashed in the hands?

You sound insane.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #3454
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You sound insane.
He learned its a tough league and they're not going to call everything and that its something he has to battle through because thats simply the nature of the game. And glaring down officials after each hack advances him nothing.

You know he learned because of the night and day difference from a couple years ago to today in his entire demeanor out there. He puts his efforts into giving it all over the ice now, whereas a couple years ago his entire focus between whistles and on the bench was on how he was done wrong by the officiating or other players. What good did that do him? It frustrated him and made him worse. He learned to harden. He learned to toughen up and battle through.

If 5'9" Johnny can do that, why can't your guy?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #3455
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yeah the Flames didn't get bullied by the Avs because they were slashed, hooked, held, interfered with.........they got bullied because the Avs were just a much better team, much faster, and they steamrolled the Flames. Pretty massive difference.
Yeah, and it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. The Avs were one of the hottest teams in the league going into the playoffs.

I recall the officiating was bad, but equally bad for both teams. Definitely not the reason the Flames lost.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #3456
Captain Otto
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He learned its a tough league and they're not going to call everything and that its something he has to battle through because thats simply the nature of the game. And glaring down officials after each hack advances him nothing.

You know he learned because of the night and day difference from a couple years ago to today in his entire demeanor out there. He puts his efforts into giving it all over the ice now, whereas a couple years ago his entire focus between whistles and on the bench was on how he was done wrong by the officiating or other players. What good did that do him? It frustrated him and made him worse. He learned to harden. He learned to toughen up and battle through.

If 5'9" Johnny can do that, why can't your guy?
He can't because the Oilers are a horrible team 5v5 and rely solely on a PP to win games. He knows it, the team knows it, the media and fans do too.

So to relinquish that golden goose would be suicide.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #3457
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You sound insane.
Won’t somebody please think of the McDavid!!!

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #3458
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:

You sound insane.
Well for starters he hasn’t been complaining to the refs or diving anymore. Also he’s improved his two way game and seems to be in a better place mentally. Those things can definitely take you places
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #3459
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they can work on being a better even strength team.

I suppose then that would require hard work, and learning. Why do that when you can just put pressure on the league to play into your one trick pony style and forget about the 200 foot nonsense.

Dive and bark early and often, and bait just enough PPs to outscore your very obvious defensive issues.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #3460
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You sound insane.
Following your logic about learning…

Quote:
Gaudreau is a Flames fan?
Gaudreau learned better?
Gaudreau pretended he was Kevin Lowe and paid for burner accounts to defend the Oilers complain about slashes to the hands?
Now I am confused…

Wait… I guess it takes insanity to better understand better insanity better…

Or…

Maybe… just maybe… we can use Ockham’s razor. That being… this simplest answer is most likely correct.

As an Oiler fan, feel free to read this slowly and more than once.

Perhaps.. Gaudreau, like Crosby, LEARNED that officiating is far from perfect AND only gets worse when you complain and embarrass officials.

SHOCKER!!