Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #41
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a Treliving hater by any means, but...

When your buyouts, Lucic and Derek Ryan have a combined cap hit of over 11 million dollars, it sure makes you wonder who would be playing RW on the top line if it weren't for his mistakes.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Well, I dare say Justin Williams would be a step forward.

How about trading Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik and Flames first for Malkin, and then trade Brodie to Winnipeg to recoup the first?

Sure the Flames would have to wait three months to get Malkin back from injury, but I dare say that a Tkachuk-Malkin-Williams second line would get the attention of opposing teams.

Anyone game?
Why would the Pens make that deal
It’s just a bunch of stuff and not a single great asset
Williams is an interesting suggestion but I recall he’s not been interested in Canadian teams
I’d sign Brian Boyle
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #43
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
'Pittsburgh Penguins' has left the chat
But it would have to happen now to make sense
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #44
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Well, I dare say Justin Williams would be a step forward.
No idea how him and Peters got along, and, if he would come back with another team other then Carolina, but he would solidify a pretty meek Flames center situation. Williams, Tkachuk and xxxx as a second line?
Backlund to the third line.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

When your buyouts, Lucic and Derek Ryan have a combined cap hit of over 11 million dollars, it sure makes you wonder who would be playing RW on the top line if it weren't for his mistakes.
Ok Derek Ryan playing six bad games at the beginning of the season does not invalidate five months of excellent play from him last year

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #46
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Kaboom
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #47
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
No idea how him and Peters got along, and, if he would come back with another team other then Carolina, but he would solidify a pretty meek Flames center situation. Williams, Tkachuk and xxxx as a second line?
Backlund to the third line.
What're you gonna do, pay him in oats?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #48
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok Derek Ryan playing six bad games at the beginning of the season does not invalidate five months of excellent play from him last year
You can substitute Ryan for Frolik if you'd like. Then just change my number to 12 million.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
You can substitute Ryan for Frolik if you'd like. Then just change my number to 12 million.
That signing wasn't a mistake either.

There's no point in grasping at straws, here, Lucic and the buyouts do enough to hammer home the point. Talbot at $2.75 is beginning to look somewhat egregious.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #50
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why would the Pens make that deal
It’s just a bunch of stuff and not a single great asset
Williams is an interesting suggestion but I recall he’s not been interested in Canadian teams
I’d sign Brian Boyle
Yup, as I mentioned yesterday, Boyle too would give the Flames a veteran center option. Tbqh Backlund needs to be pushed a bit for that second role, and it’s not a scoring line, nor was it last year, or last playoffs when it was really needed. Goodness know Jankowski isn’t pushing him Bennett has much bigger issues in general then worrying about switching positions, can’t pull Lindholm off the top line, and Ryan is fine as 3c or 4c, but shouldn’t be counted on for much more.

It would look as a bit of a desperate act, but really, Jankowski and Frolik wouldn’t be on this team right now if BT had his plans go through, so he wasn’t apsatisifed then and can’t be satisfied now, and imo will not be quite so patient this season as he was last, to make a move like Boyle or Williams.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah...there is no help coming from outside at this point.

The answers, if they exist, are already in that room.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #52
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All we accomplished this off season was collect picked over oil grease.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #53
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That signing wasn't a mistake either.

There's no point in grasping at straws, here, Lucic and the buyouts do enough to hammer home the point. Talbot at $2.75 is beginning to look somewhat egregious.
Frolik has been bad for going on two seasons now, of course the signing was bad. Sure it started off good (first 2-3 seasons), but a contract is judged over the course of its entirety, not just the first few seasons. He would arguably clear waivers now.

As for Ryan, he's only in the second year of his and it started off really bad last year too. Maybe he's just a slow starter? Looks brutal though.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #54
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes its early, but seeing some troubling signs. Giving the opposition leads in most games -- why is this team never ready to play from the opening face off?
Guys like Bennett and Janko absolutely must take a step forward for this team. So far, not happening.

They didn't play a terrible game tonight but this isn't exactly looking like a scary contender right now, nor a team that believes it should be the elite of the NHL. Frankly I'm not sure its as simple as giving it time and they'll somehow be back up to conference leading status. I think there are a few problems to solve with this team.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #55
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Frolik has been bad for going on two seasons now, of course the signing was bad. Sure it started off good (first 2-3 seasons), but a contract is judged over the course of its entirety, not just the first few seasons. He would arguably clear waivers now.

As for Ryan, he's only in the second year of his and it started off really bad last year too. Maybe he's just a slow starter? Looks brutal though.
Ryan was bad last year for about ten games. He was probably the Flames' 6th-best forward at least after that. I'm not worried about him at all, he's been meh again to start this year but he's a really good player. Funny how we've already forgotten just how critical he was for the Flames when Gaudreau went cold down the stretch.

And the doom and gloom on Frolik is really oversold imo. Dude was a critical part of one of the best lines in hockey for a couple years. Still really productive even as recently as last year. He's overpaid for what he is now but the Flames got three really good years from that contract and this year is still up in the air.

Six-game samples are useless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #56
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the game tonight sitting in the Sharks end.

Didn't see the Flames win many faceoffs in the offensive zones particularly in the third period. Gave the sharks easy clears when the Flames were on the PP and late with the goalie pulled.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #57
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:

Both Frolik and Ryan, overall have been average to good signings
I realize we are in the “everything sucks mode” right now but look at those contracts and what the players have provided
They are fine
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #58
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But, in my opinion, Flames getting better in every games. Hope the scoring comes soon, and some guys gets better.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #59
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Derek Ryan is a mistake now?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #60
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Us being a deep team is a CP myth. After Monahan, Lindholm, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Backlund almost every guy has zero or negative trade value and would have difficulty cracking any other NHL line up that isn’t the Oilers.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote