Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #41
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Glen Gulutzan was the worst thing to happen to his career. I expect him to explode under a new coach.

He should be a Flame for a long time. This team is better with him than without, especially come playoff time where he elevates his game with the reduction of soft whistles.
Why was Glen Gulutzan the worst thing to happen to him? And what signs do you see from him that he would 'explode' under a new coach? Genuinely interested in your opinion, not being an a-hole.

For me, I'm not seeing the skill set for him to become a star in this league. I think his ceiling will be a gritty power forward who puts up 40-50pts. I try not to think of his draft position when evaluating him, I believe he makes the team better and will be great for our depth when his game matures a bit more.

I don't think GG has neutered his play. Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund and Ferland are all having or have had career years under GG... so why can't Bennett? He probably needs better linemates, however that isn't GG's fault IMO. Where should he be playing? The top line - I don't see a spot for him there. The 3M? I don't think there is a conceivable reason to break that one up. I think BT needs to pick up a good veteran player for the 3rd line... it might help... it might not.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really torn on Bennett. He has a ton of potential, being the Flames highest ever draft pick, putting up 1.6PPG in his draft year and being the #1 rated NA skater. Also, my uncle coached him in midget and is always raving about him, saying he was almost as good as McDavid and has far more potential than Tkachuck. He believes Bennett had his development stunted due to lack of ice time and bad line mates. I'm not so sure. I see someone who is very talented, speedy, and tenacious but hasn't been able to translate his CHL scoring to the NHL.

I'm not sure what the Flames should have done differently with Bennett. They couldn't send him back to junior because he was good enough for the NHL but they couldn't gift him top line centre time because he wasn't as good as Monahan or Backlund. At this stage I think the Flames need to be patient for another year and hope he is a late bloomer like Backlund. We also need to lower our expectations of a top line centre with the more realistic view that in the best case scenario he turns into a good 2nd line winger.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #43
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really frustrated by Bennett again too. I was hoping to be able to see where he's at by next season's trade deadline, but at this point, maybe it's time to start building packages including him to see what kind of returns might be possible.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #44
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Assuming the Flames are looking to resign Backlund, move Bennett back to that line. His best season so far has been with them. Move Tkachuk to 1st line RW. Move Ferland to Jankowski's wing with Hathaway or Brouwer. Lazar, Stajan, and the other of Brouwer/Hathaway.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Hathaway - Jankowski - Ferland
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #45
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our second line has quieted down. What exactly is the harm in swapping tkatchuk and Bennett to try to ignite the 2nd and 3rd lines?? The reluctance to try different things and giving it more than a period is a real pain point I have with the flames coaching staff
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes players just don't work out. The best players in that draft we're taken much later, and who could have known? The draft is sometimes a roulette wheel
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't throw away potential so quickly, especially when you witness flashes of it.

Bennett does have a lot of skill, and that skill comes with speed, a non-stop motor and a tonne of grit. Has he had problems translating his game to the NHL? Yes, at least consistently.

He has also improved quite a bit of his game, including his defensive acumen. That gives me hope he becomes a well-rounded player you can play in any situation down the road.

What I think is Bennett's worst enemy is his confidence. He is still very much a kid and I think he suffers from confidence issues from time to time.

I am sure this thread will be resurrected in a few years and we can have a good laugh at how impatient some people are.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #48
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine where we'd be if Poirier and Klimchuk had panned out....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Our second line has quieted down. What exactly is the harm in swapping tkatchuk and Bennett to try to ignite the 2nd and 3rd lines?? The reluctance to try different things and giving it more than a period is a real pain point I have with the flames coaching staff
Tkachuk has 3 goals and 4 points in his last 5 games. 9 P{oints in his last 10 games. 17 in his last 20.

Flames with points in essentially every game of that span.

What's more important, winning games or getting sam bennett to score a bit more?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Never understood the " GG is destroying Bennet career" crowd. Ferland, Mony, Backs, Tkachuk, Johnny Hockey seem to be doing fine under GG, so why not Bennett ? It can't all be about who he is playing with.
That crowd is the GG ruins everything crowd. If their dog dies it is GG's fault.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #51
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Tkachuk has 3 goals and 4 points in his last 5 games. 9 P{oints in his last 10 games. 17 in his last 20.

What's more important, winning games or getting sam bennett to score a bit more?
Fair.

So how about trying Tkachuk on the Jankowski line to get it going, and trying Bennett line to get him going?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
He's worth more to the Flames maintaining their patience than he is in a trade I would think.
I guess the question is if what they could get for him now is worth more than whatever he'll be worth in another year if he continues on his current trajectory. If you think a player is going to totally bust (a la Griffin Reinhart), it's better to get something back than hang onto him.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #53
SDV325
Draft Pick

Surround a player with other skilled players that can play at the same level and good things can happen to all involved. Playing Bennett and Brouwer together is an experiment that must stop.

Bennett does have his ups and downs but his play is exponentially worse with Brouwer I find. The guy just finds ways to kill plays, cycles and rushes.

I loved watching Bennett play with Johnny in the preseason, was hoping this would continue as an experiment through the season but not with our current coaching situation.
SDV325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #54
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From the way Bennett plays, I can’t see him being a total bust. Guy is getting involved physically, flashes of skill, and while I don’t have figure to back it up he looks like he’s a hell of a lot bigger/tougher than ‘19 YO SB’.
Have some patience. He’s what, 21? 22? He’s rarely the worst guy on the ice, and it’s unrealistic to expect every young guy to be a stellar player full time. I wouldn’t be too confident any return for Bennett would be a surer shot to be a difference maker than he is.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #55
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the second line slowing down, mainly in regards to Backlund and it’s quite a head scratcher. Both players are currently in their best streak of scoring so far this season.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #56
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Fair.

So how about trying Tkachuk on the Jankowski line to get it going, and trying Bennett line to get him going?
Isn't that the exact same thing you proposed before? I think the point is that it wouldn't be smart to mess with what Tkachuk has got going on right now, just to see if Bennett can get it going.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #57
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would say if they wanted to trade him they should have done it at the midpoint of last season when it was starting to really look like he wasn’t going to excel at center, at least not anytime soon. Since then his value has fallen off a cliff. So since you can’t get much for him I’d say get him a competent RW, not even a big scorer just a possession guy who can put up .5ppg like Frolik and see if he can develop with that. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing him a few games with Johnny and Mony but I don’t know how you can move Ferland off that line unless he puts up a streak of bad play.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I realized I'd forgotten Sam Bennett was on this team
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #59
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Remember when he went 18g 18a and everyone thought he’d be knocking on the door to 30? Its gone downhill forsure but he’s going to be fine. It’s a combination of low shooting percent leading to confidence issues and crappy line mates for times. I think we’re just gonna have to be patient on this one. Kinda like backlund.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #60
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand, I really like the idea of running a "top 9" instead of a "top 6". It really worked out well for Pittsburgh. That being said, I don't think this team has 9 forwards that deserve that much ice time and you can't just drop Tkachuk to the 3rd line and play him 12 minutes a game.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote