Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 12:13 AM   #1
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Looking at moving back into the city - community advice sought

Hey guys,

Since we seem to have a pretty good cross section here I figured this would be an ok place to ask this. We have lived in one of the "scavenger" communities just outside the city for about 20 years. Our kids are leaving the nest and we are considering moving back into Calgary.

We have focused most of our home search in the following communities...

Canyon Meadows
Lake Bonavista
Lakeview
Varsity

Our youngest is likely to end up at either UofC or MRU and at this point intends to stay at home with us for his first couple of years to save some $$ and get free meals, lol. My wife works in the Kensington area and I primarily work from home but head office is in Highfield (just east of Blackfoot)

Any specific thoughts or rankings on the above spots?

At this point my ranking would be as follows...
1. Lakeview - close to lots of biking trails and decent proximity to both universities, good access to Glenmore and Stoney as well. House prices kinda getting ugly in there though for what you get.
2. Canyon Meadows - Fish creek park trails really close, lots of shopping nearby, drive to Universities not awesome, but tolerable. House pricing a bit more reasonable.
3. Lake Bonavista - Similar to Canyon Meadows but drive to work and school a bit furter. House pricing a bit higher. Bonus of Lake access.
4. Varsity - Different end of town altogether but cant beat convenience to UofC. We typically prefer the South over the North in general but this area could be an exception.

Sorry for the ramble but hoping to get a bit of insight from others. Is there any reason to avoid the areas I have listed?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:05 AM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayview. It’s Lakeview, only way better!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to say Varsity because Calgary south is generic prairie landscape (that may be a plus for you if you are used to it) and travel is generally worse. Much better access to University, downtown, mountains, and generally more scenic and clean. Only negatives really are the weather can be worse and the restaurant situation is better in the south.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 06:50 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for airdrie. it is 10 minutes away from all those places you listed
Old 09-27-2022, 07:09 AM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lakeview is great and was high on my list when buying a house but the one thing that kept me out was the access in and out of the community. Maybe it is better now on the west side but the east side is still a disaster some days. If there an issue on Crowchild or Glenmore it can be impossible to get in or out and you basically feel trapped.

I had a similar thought about buying in the south so my primary areas were Lakeview, Altadore, Garrison, Killarney, Wildwood, etc but then we crossed the river and started looking at Hillhurst and Parkdale and finally bought in Varsity. It is a great area with good homes and nice big lots. It is pretty quiet and offers lots of outdoor amenities. The new University District is great for the area for shops and restaurants. Obviously having the University and hospitals close by is a benefit. One of the only issues recently is pretty crime and theft because of the proximity to the c-train. Anytime you get close to a station it invites more people through the community. Access to downtown, or Kensington in your wife's case, is quick and easy and your work shouldn't be too bad. Getting in and out of the city is very fast and will be even better once all the ring road construction is done.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 07:10 AM   #6
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Hey guys,

We have focused most of our home search in the following communities...

Canyon Meadows
Lake Bonavista
Lakeview
Varsity

Sorry for the ramble but hoping to get a bit of insight from others. Is there any reason to avoid the areas I have listed?
If you say Lake Bonavista three times, Sliver will appear.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 07:40 AM   #7
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a NW kid growing up, so I'd lean towards Varsity (and it's better for your youngest and wife for proximity). After that I'd go Lakeview next.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

If you and your wife are swingers, Bonavista is definitely the place for you.

With kids the age you mention though, not sure the lake makes sense for the pricetag vs. can get similar / same home quality in Canyon Meadows for $100K less prob. I have lived in both, loved both areas (not swingers though lol). Plus then the Anderson / 14st access to MRU or U of C is better too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Varsity. Great area, great prox to the University, shopping and easy to get around.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are looking in LakeView, you may want to consider Garrison Woods. That's where I am and I absolutely love it.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're considering Varsity, you may want to look at University Heights. It's a bit of a hidden neighborhood as nobody goes there unless they live there, but its perfect for UofC access, and I liked that it was walkable to the new University District, so you get easy access to some more urban elements as well. It's not a cheap neighborhood (I assume a lot of doctors live there because of hospital access) but a nice one.

Out of the other ones, my personal choice would be Lakeview for the access to the park alone.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies so far. Seems Varsity is worth investigating further. I have always felt like NW roads and access are worse than the SW. Feels higher density and congested in general. Weather definitely not as mild which is a funny comment when talking about the same city.

I went to UofC and traffic always felt like a bit of a quagmire in that zone so it left a mark on me, lol. Have the roads been significantly improved over the last 20 years in that area? Also, is the pathway system as easily accessed and vast as it is in the South?
Old 09-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #13
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whatever you do, don't come to Renfrew. Definitely not worth looking at.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If you and your wife are swingers, Bonavista is definitely the place for you.

With kids the age you mention though, not sure the lake makes sense for the pricetag vs. can get similar / same home quality in Canyon Meadows for $100K less prob. I have lived in both, loved both areas (not swingers though lol). Plus then the Anderson / 14st access to MRU or U of C is better too.
Ha, not swingers but to each their own I guess.

Lake access benefit would primarily be a longer future thing if our kids decide to have spawn of their own so yeah not a huge draw at this point.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far. Seems Varsity is worth investigating further. I have always felt like NW roads and access are worse than the SW. Feels higher density and congested in general. Weather definitely not as mild which is a funny comment when talking about the same city.
This rings true for me big time. Having lived in every quadrant now, until I move out of town again I'll be staying south of Glenmore and west of Deerfoot.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #16
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
This rings true for me big time. Having lived in every quadrant now, until I move out of town again I'll be staying south of Glenmore and west of Deerfoot.
This is the way.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We're in the NW, and live near Varsity but couldn't afford Varsity proper. It's a nice area and for university access as others have said, it is hard to beat.

As far as roads go, I've worked down at Canyon Meadows for years, and I find the pain to get North-South (just like East-West) is awful. If you work South, live South. If you work North, live North. UNLESS you're ring road adjacent and enjoy burning fuel.

It's really pick your poison - MacLeod and Glenmore? John Laurie and Crowchild?

As others have said - NW = easier access to the mountains, but add 30-40min to go South/the States.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I went to UofC and traffic always felt like a bit of a quagmire in that zone so it left a mark on me, lol. Have the roads been significantly improved over the last 20 years in that area? Also, is the pathway system as easily accessed and vast as it is in the South?
Roads have been improved over the last twenty years for sure. Crowchild is a bit better now and 16th is vastly improved between 14th Street and Bowness Road. Shaganappi has seen some improvements and so has John Laurie.

The pathway system is as accessible and extensive as any other part of the city. The only pain point is that if you leave Varsity and make your way to the river system you have a good climb to get home out of the valley.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that the SW ring road has changed the driving calculus for a lot of neighbourhoods south of the reservoir. MRU is now a 10 minute drive, and it’s much faster getting out to the mountains. Oakridge has lots of green-space, bike paths, etc and K-9 schools in walking distance.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is your kid going to be driving or taking transit to school?

I wouldn't overthink that part too much since school is just a few years and it sounds like you'll be living in this spot for quite a bit, but still another angle to think of

Last edited by btimbit; 09-27-2022 at 08:48 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote