undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #82
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So it is agreed MG42 > Bren
I would say so. I know the Bren was popular but that buzzsaw of the mg42 cracking away had to be terrifying
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #83
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it is agreed MG42 > Bren
Couple of things - I think the MG42 was better in an emplacement or mounted on a vehicle than it was an LMG.

The Bren was easier to transport, more durable, and divided the ammunition through the section a lot more efficiently.

Both weapons are still being used - the MG42 turned into the MG3 and the Bren is still produced for the Indian Army.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that the easy barrel replacement and rate of fire are a big advantage. As well as the belt fed versus magazine fed allowed for larger quantities of rounds downfield faster.

I've always thought that the biggest problem with belt fed weapons was the requirement of two men teams as well as jams of misfires.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #85
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that the easy barrel replacement and rate of fire are a big advantage. As well as the belt fed versus magazine fed allowed for larger quantities of rounds downfield faster.

I've always thought that the biggest problem with belt fed weapons was the requirement of two men teams as well as jams of misfires.
Practical rate of fire between the Bren and 42 was virtually the same - around 120 rounds per minute.

Bren barrel was far less prone to overheating and also had a quick release handle for rapid changes. Bren was also cheaper and easier to produce, even after the Germans introduced the MG-42 (personally, I think the MG-34 was a better overall machine gun but considerably over engineered).
Old 11-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Then Bren gun had a firing rate of about 500 rounds per minute, it was deliberately kept low by design.

The MG42 had a firing rate of anywhere from 900 to 1500 depending on the variation and bolts that they used.

The MG42 had a much longer effective range as well. I like the Bren, it was originally considered to be a good low cost weapon. But I would probably take the MG42 just over the quick ability to get rounds downfield over a longer distance. with more accuracy.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #87
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then Bren gun had a firing rate of about 500 rounds per minute, it was deliberately kept low by design.

The MG42 had a firing rate of anywhere from 900 to 1500 depending on the variation and bolts that they used.

The MG42 had a much longer effective range as well. I like the Bren, it was originally considered to be a good low cost weapon. But I would probably take the MG42 just over the quick ability to get rounds downfield over a longer distance. with more accuracy.
Yeah, but German infantry manuals recommended a barrel change after every 250 rounds because the barrel couldn't stand prolonged fire at that rate. The gun also didn't have a quick release handle, the fire team had to carry a large asbestos mitt to switch the barrel.

EDIT: The German squad only carried 6 spare barrels so unless the gun was in a defensive position, you've only got 1250 rounds to play with.

If I was a German on the high ground around Caen, I would want the MG42. If I'm a Canadian infantry section rapidly on the move trying to take that high ground, I might want the Bren.

Last edited by peter12; 11-03-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #88
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #89
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, but German infantry manuals recommended a barrel change after every 250 rounds because the barrel couldn't stand prolonged fire at that rate. The gun also didn't have a quick release handle, the fire team had to carry a large asbestos mitt to switch the barrel.

EDIT: The German squad only carried 6 spare barrels so unless the gun was in a defensive position, you've only got 1250 rounds to play with.

If I was a German on the high ground around Caen, I would want the MG42. If I'm a Canadian infantry section rapidly on the move trying to take that high ground, I might want the Bren.
Peter the MG42 was lighter than the C6 which is currently used in the dismounted role all the time. I will say a C6 in SF configuration is a sweet weapon system and will create all types of trouble.

There is something to be said for the lineage of the MG42, most modern armies use a belt fed man portable machine gun. Could it be that these are a better option or could it be that the Indians have discovered a Bren gun secret.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #90
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss shooting.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #91
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Peter the MG42 was lighter than the C6 which is currently used in the dismounted role all the time. I will say a C6 in SF configuration is a sweet weapon system and will create all types of trouble.

There is something to be said for the lineage of the MG42, most modern armies use a belt fed man portable machine gun. Could it be that these are a better option or could it be that the Indians have discovered a Bren gun secret.
Well, I'm talking about the weapons as they were used in WW2. It's just a fun discussion.

The Bren was used for a reason and it had its advantages over the MG-42. Brits used it until the Falklands.

Also, the Marines have just ditched the M249 for the M27 IAR which uses a box magazine.

Last edited by peter12; 11-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #92
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a suggestion, but maybe the Canadian Forces sniper program
I recall a few years ago, it was acknowledged Canada had a very good and internationally
recognized sniper program. This also led to Canadians setting new records in distance shooting.
If someone had the knowledge, would be interested in hearing more about the setup, weapons platforms...etc, and help recognize a Canadian success

LChoy
Old 11-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #93
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well, I'm talking about the weapons as they were used in WW2. It's just a fun discussion.

The Bren was used for a reason and it had its advantages over the MG-42. Brits used it until the Falklands.

Also, the Marines have just ditched the M249 for the M27 IAR which uses a box magazine.
Pssssst, they also used the GPMG

Quote:
Old 11-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #94
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
Just a suggestion, but maybe the Canadian Forces sniper program
I recall a few years ago, it was acknowledged Canada had a very good and internationally
recognized sniper program. This also led to Canadians setting new records in distance shooting.
If someone had the knowledge, would be interested in hearing more about the setup, weapons platforms...etc, and help recognize a Canadian success

LChoy
I can't speak for how other armed forces select soldiers for sniper training, but I can tell you that the CAF's course is very selective. Many think it's all about being a great shot, but it's not that at all. Anyone can be a great shot with training. So, it comes down to soldiers who really want it. And in the CAF, there are many who want to be snipers so the competition is huge.

To start, you better be fit. The sniper trade is very physically demanding. You better be driven. You will have at least the Basic Recce course but having the Advanced course is better. Oh, you better have topped the course. So, if you have all of that going for you, your commanding officer has to write a letter supporting your application to the sniper course. In summary, you better have your stuff wired tight.

Thus, the sniper course receives the top soldiers who already aren't in JTF (being a sniper in JTF is another level). Once on the course, the instructors are relentless.

So the CAF's sniper program excels because of the soldiers it receives at the start of the course.

The current rifle is the C14 Timberwolf, produced by PGW Defence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #95
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Side note, that reminds me, I'd love to read more about the pathfinder course if anyone has info on that
Old 11-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #96
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Side note, that reminds me, I'd love to read more about the pathfinder course if anyone has info on that
Well, it's even more gruelling than the sniper course and has high attrition. It's an 11 week course that involves a ground phase in (usually) Petawawa, ON and a sea phase in either Halifax or Comox.

Students on the course are trained on Adaptive Dispersed Operations (ADO), which is a cornerstone of the Army's Land Force 2021 operating concept.
https://canadianarmytoday.com/close-...ating-concept/

The Pathfinder candidates are trained to be experts at insertion and extraction techniques by air, land, and sea, and to be proficient in the establishment of drop, landing, and beach zones and austere airstrips for follow-on forces. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to advise commanders on the patrol pathfinder phase in joint operations.

Prerequisites:
- Infantry leadership qualified
- Basic Parachutist
- Basic Recce Patrolman
- Drop Zone/ Landing Zone Controller
- Commanding Officer's recommendation.

Because of the historically high attrition, the CAF has developed a program to prepare candidates and this program begins at least a year out from the course start date.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Well, it's even more gruelling than the sniper course and has high attrition. It's an 11 week course that involves a ground phase in (usually) Petawawa, ON and a sea phase in either Halifax or Comox.

Students on the course are trained on Adaptive Dispersed Operations (ADO), which is a cornerstone of the Army's Land Force 2021 operating concept.
https://canadianarmytoday.com/close-...ating-concept/

The Pathfinder candidates are trained to be experts at insertion and extraction techniques by air, land, and sea, and to be proficient in the establishment of drop, landing, and beach zones and austere airstrips for follow-on forces. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to advise commanders on the patrol pathfinder phase in joint operations.

Prerequisites:
- Infantry leadership qualified
- Basic Parachutist
- Basic Recce Patrolman
- Drop Zone/ Landing Zone Controller
- Commanding Officer's recommendation.

Because of the historically high attrition, the CAF has developed a program to prepare candidates and this program begins at least a year out from the course start date.

Lawn mower operation

Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #98
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing the Yamato. One of my favorite ships. I've mentioned this before, but there is a great Japanese language film called The Great War of Archimedes based on the lead up to the Yamato.

Can you do fighter planes of WWII next? I'd love to know more about the P51 vs the Zero vs the Messerschmitt. Or if that's too narrow, maybe include bomber planes of WWII? Just the term Flying Fortress gives me chills.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #99
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
not sure if you have watched this or not.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #100
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have almost all episodes on youtube?

Well #### there goes my afternoon