Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2021, 04:21 AM   #501
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I still don't understand the motivations behind the Brexiteers and I was a Political Science major (switched to tech for a paycheque) who visited the EU and sat in the European Parliament as a student and I watched the UK House of Commons regularly during the Brexit debates.

The best I can surmise is its all led by a hidden cabal of elitist business interests and public school Conservatives with political power and economic incentives all getting rich out of this somehow while the UK decays into a failed state and the buying power of the average citizen crumbles.
All a Russian spy operation I'm sure. (Which I'm sure did play some part actually.)

More seriously however, it's a demonstration of the harm xenophobia and nationalism can do.

I also feel that a lot of people today, probably from boomers to younger, have lost sight of how our societies really function. We/they take the relatively free and luxurious life we live as a natural result of history and technological advancement, not the product of millennias of work and design. A lot of people think nothing can shake our standard of living, which makes questions such as how a country is organized purely a question of preference, not reason.

Which is why you can't reason with them and you can't explain things to them, because they don't believe that anything you tell them matters. They not only don't understand how and why they have so many options available at the supermarket, they don't think it's important to know.

(And of course for the rich it largely is purely a question of preference, they'll always be fine.)

Last edited by Itse; 10-28-2021 at 04:24 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #502
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooooo.. the pound has fallen off a cliff the past few days and hit record lows vs USD. Currently sitting at 1.07 USD - was at $1.30 back in April. With the reaction to their new 'economic plan' of cutting taxes - good chance it hits parity with USD in the next little bit.

Even dropped $0.20 off vs CAD in the past few months.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #503
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sooooo.. the pound has fallen off a cliff the past few days and hit record lows vs USD. Currently sitting at 1.07 USD - was at $1.30 back in April. With the reaction to their new 'economic plan' of cutting taxes - good chance it hits parity with USD in the next little bit.

Even dropped $0.20 off vs CAD in the past few months.
That is fine by me, being I am currently residing in the UK for the next year or so. Makes it much more feasible to be here!
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:18 AM   #504
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

That makes no sense. Everything you purchase in the UK gets more expensive. Unless you are regularly exchanging CAD, you’re just getting poorer every day you spend here.

Great for Canadian tourists though.

I’m genuinely frightened for the exchange rate when I visit Calgary in April. Of course this is also the year I’ve promised my son new skis for his 18th.

I know hyperbole is a given when talking politics and economics, but I don’t think it is hyperbole when I say that the UK government is acting as if it is running a banana republic.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #505
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
That is fine by me, being I am currently residing in the UK for the next year or so. Makes it much more feasible to be here!
Are you getting paid in US dollars?
Old 09-28-2022, 01:48 AM   #506
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Are you getting paid in US dollars?
The way things are going Barnet will be lucky to be paid in potatoes
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:04 AM   #507
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
With the reaction to their new 'economic plan' of cutting taxes - good chance it hits parity with USD in the next little bit.
I obviously don’t understand currency valuations

While the revenue for the government will go down, the theory is that Businesses should be stronger as they get to keep more of their revenues.

Does this mean the government income is more of a leading factor into the value of a country’s income than strength of business?

Does this mean the market generally doesn’t believe that business will get stronger with this tax action?

Are there other things going on and this new tax policy is coincidental?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #508
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's because if your country's inflation is worse than other countries', that inherently devalues your currency. And the market isn't particularly impressed with the UK government injecting a bunch of money into the system through borrowing vast sums of money to fund tax cuts (mostly for the wealthy) during a high inflation period. It's one thing if you're supporting people so they can afford necessities that would otherwise be bought with credit, but another if you're giving already rich people more discretionary income.

Most countries are trying to reduce liquidity to tackle inflation, but the UK is now doing the opposite. And now the Bank of England has had to step in with quantitative easing again, buying up £65B in government bonds to drive yields downwards (which will tend to further exacerbate inflation).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #509
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought some GBP in the early summer in advance of travel to the UK this fall, out of fear that it would go back up. "It can't get much lower, right?" That was a mistake.

Thankfully we are talking about hundreds and not thousands, and my visit will still be "cheaper" regardless, thanks to Boris and the Brexit clown show.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #510
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side, we might get some good deals on Scotch.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #511
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if what's happening in the UK is a preview of what would happen in Canada if PP's Conservatives come into power here
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #512
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Self inflicted

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #513
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
I wonder if what's happening in the UK is a preview of what would happen in Canada if PP's Conservatives come into power here
Well, specifically the Pension and Bond markets are a preview of whats going to happen regardless of who is in power.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #514
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

UK government with that 'UCP special'... propose something with minimal thought, encounter public backlash, meekly retract proposal, announce that they've "listened" to the people.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/truss-ba...-cut-1.1827266

Another data point like this and we should start calling it the "conservative special" as it doesn't appear to be solely a UCP thing.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #515
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Haha what a trainwreck. Truss does a U-turn on lowering corporate tax, sacks Kwarteng and then holds a press conference where she only answers 4 questions and refuses to apologise. Reportedly, Tory MPs are livid and calling for her head too.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #516
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

She's trying to speedrun and beat Theresa May's record.

Edit: I should clarify I mean the record for shortest term by a female. There are a dozen or so males that have had shorter terms than May, including recently Gordon Brown. I suppose Truss could be trying for the overall record of 119 days though!

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-14-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #517
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing Conservatives have manged to hold on to power for 12 years, overseeing disaster upon disaster.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #518
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's amazing Conservatives have manged to hold on to power for 12 years, overseeing disaster upon disaster.
If you ever wanted proof that the westminster parliamentary system was flawed...
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #519
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #520
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
She's trying to speedrun and beat Theresa May's record.

Edit: I should clarify I mean the record for shortest term by a female. There are a dozen or so males that have had shorter terms than May, including recently Gordon Brown. I suppose Truss could be trying for the overall record of 119 days though!
She's at less than 6 weeks right now and they are already after her. Its a brisk pace.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote