Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #1461
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like Shandro would know what a good pile of clay is if it hit him in his stupid head. That was some high grade, gravel free clay. Golden safron, fine as confectioners sugar.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #1462
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
On another topic, what's the deal with Craig Chandler getting ousted from Smith's campaign? I haven't found much except some twitter rumblings and a vague tweet from Smith's campaign.

And he filed a (SLAPP) lawsuit against Duane Bratt?

What a winner.
Probably something to do with this?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...deos-1.6599395

Quote:
Calgary-based businessman and political activist Craig Chandler said he was pictured in one of the videos during a barbecue at his place. He said no prank call was made in that video.

Chandler said the instance on that video was a reference to the notorious audiotape Brocket 99, a fake radio show produced in Lethbridge, Alta., in the late 1980s based on racist stereotypes of First Nations people.

"Some comedy is not politically correct, but this is a private function of my close friends. The video was taken by a close friend, I thought," he said.

"Quite frankly, this cancel culture is killing society … I should be able to joke on an issue in the confines of my own home."
The notorious "cancel culture" conservative snowflakes are always whining about strikes again! Chandler made racist "jokes" on videotape and now he has to deal with the predicable repercussions of his own actions.

And no, Craig, you shouldn't be able to make racist jokes within the confines of your own home or anywhere else. If you want to do that, be prepared to live with the consequences when other people find out about it.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:29 AM   #1463
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What in the actual hell happened in this thread? Fuzz? He's one of the most reasoned, but direct posters on CP when it comes to politics. Doesn't get bent out of shape, just lays out what he sees.

I mean yeah he goes hard on the UCP as any Alberta resident should, but the things being said about him here are just bizarre.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 02:22 AM   #1464
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should respond to this topic, but here it goes...

I worked as a high school teacher in a rural Alberta district for 11 years until just recently. There has been a slow erosion over the last decade of the importance/value of the Diploma Exams. First, the government lifted the time constraints. Students used to be given a set amount of time to complete the test (say 2.5 hours). As a social studies teacher I can tell you that about 10%-15% of kids struggled to finish in this time. So the government, removed the time constraint and starting giving every student double time. So if they had 2.5 hours before, they now have 5 hours. Depending on the course, some Diploma Exams provide students with 6 hours. Next, the government lowered the grade value of the Diploma Exams from 50% to 30%. This put a much higher value on the course work.

I taught when it was 2.5 hours and 50% and I taught when it was 5 hours and 30%. Overall, I can tell you that I have not worked with or talked to a teacher that supported the changes. These moves were likely done in the name of reducing stress for students, but it has generally lessened the stress to such a level that many of my students don't even care about the Diploma. A few years ago, before the changes I would almost always see students give an honest effort in the course at the end to ensure success on the Diploma. This meant that students who struggled with school would buckle down for the last 2 weeks and give it their all. In my 22 semesters as a Grade 12 teacher, I never saw a student fail because the Diploma brought them down. It was always the other way around. I saw kids with 45% get 55% on the Diploma and pass.

This devaluing of the Diploma has created a system where kids figure out that they only need to get a 60% in the class to ensure they pass overall. I've now had kids ask me when they have a decent mark in the class if they even need to write the Diploma.

It's frustrating because my district places a huge amount of importance on the Diploma Exam. For instance, we (teachers) are generally expected to have our class marks (the one I give the kids) be within a range of 5% of their Diploma Exam mark. This was the goal, to ensure teachers weren't inflating marks. This was very easy to achieve before the government instituted the changes. I could usually tell you with very good accuracy what a kid was going to get on the Diploma.

Now it's a crap shoot. I have kids who get 80% in the class get a 30% on the Diploma, and it makes me look like a terrible teacher. The reality is, the kid knew he didn't need to try or get a good mark so he decided to just phone it in.

In a perfect world I'd rather see the more high stakes version of the Diploma Exam stay for the academic (-1) classes, because this will likely be a better standard for students who want to go on to Uni. Alternatively, I could support a lesser stakers version of the Diploma Exam for students in the non-academic (-2) classes since they are more likely enter the workforce, get a trade, etc.

I don't know the perfect outcome, but what I witnessed was a complete shift in the importance of the Diploma Exams to the point that they are now viewed as a joke by many of the students. We have students in my school who sit there for the full 5-6 hours. Some fall asleep, some day dream. Alternatively, some finish the test as quick as they can and just choose "C" the whole way down the scan sheet.

I often feel now, that I stress WAY more about the Diploma than the students do. Because I'm going to be judged by these results, regardless of if that's valuable or not.
It's been 20 years since I wrote 50% diplomas and I loved them. All that perceived teacher favoritism, nuances in marking standards between different teachers, students cheating on assignments, students cheating on exams, forgetting assignments at home, not realizing you didn't understand the coursework after failing a unit exam, etc. None of the matters when you have a diploma at 50%. It was the great equalizer. It was also a massive stress reducer because you always had this opportunity at redemption. You can go into a diploma with 70%, and still get 85% as a final grade.

And it was the first lesson in the importance of peak performance and applying the athlete mindset to important tasks, which is an imperative life skill to learn if you plan on going anywhere in life.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #1465
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Medically required DI services such as X-rays, ultrasounds and fluoroscopies referred by chiropractors, physiotherapists and audiologists will now be insured under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...AFEF99D825448A

On of these is not like the others...
Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #1466
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

The notorious "cancel culture" conservative snowflakes are always whining about strikes again! Chandler made racist "jokes" on videotape and now he has to deal with the predicable repercussions of his own actions.

And no, Craig, you shouldn't be able to make racist jokes within the confines of your own home or anywhere else. If you want to do that, be prepared to live with the consequences when other people find out about it.
I don't understand how this guy stays "relevant". If he was the only one running in an election and the only one voting, he'd still lose. Hell, if he tried to clap, he'd miss both his hands I'm pretty sure.

I know a few people that were involved with the pre-UCP PC's and they all ####ing hate him.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #1467
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...AFEF99D825448A

On of these is not like the others...

I mean if your chiro is referring you for an ultrasound they're probably pretty low on the quackery spectrum.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:56 AM   #1468
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
I mean if your chiro is referring you for an ultrasound they're probably pretty low on the quackery spectrum.
Quote:
Strong evidence demonstrates risks of imaging such as excessive radiation exposure, overdiagnosis, subsequent low-value investigation and treatment procedures, and increased costs. In most cases the potential benefits from routine imaging, including spinal X-rays, do not outweigh the potential harms. The use of spinal X-rays should not be routinely performed in chiropractic practice, and should be guided by clinical guidelines and clinician judgement.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6247638/

Quote:
An internal struggle that's been building for years in the chiropractic profession has broken out into legal battle as a group of B.C. chiropractors heads to court, accusing their professional regulator of unfairly limiting their ability to do business.

At the heart of the fight is a policy change from the College of Chiropractors of B.C., which says chiropractors are no longer allowed to perform routine and repeat X-rays because of a lack of evidence supporting any benefit to patients.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...licy-1.5957385

This is a waste of money, and will further burden our system by using limited DI resources for unnecessary quackery. I thought we'd have to wait for Smith to get in before this kind of thing, but I guess the current UCP wants to get a jump on it.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #1469
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6247638/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...licy-1.5957385

This is a waste of money, and will further burden our system by using limited DI resources for unnecessary quackery. I thought we'd have to wait for Smith to get in before this kind of thing, but I guess the current UCP wants to get a jump on it.
My big question is what would be the outcome from ordering a particular test? Presumably the results will inform the treatment, but there should be a general order of less invasive to more invasive (and with anything serious you're going to involve an MD sooner or later). And while it sucks to run around to multiple appointments, you're also getting multiple medical opinions.

There is a wide range of certification/experience levels among physios...I think it would be reasonable to have the most senior physio(s) at a clinic obtain a certification that lets them order these tests. In most cases, this probably wouldn't happen on the initial visit, but after several treatments that see no progress.

Ultimately I think it's a fairly narrow scope where this could be more efficient, with a lot more breadth for abuse/inefficiency.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #1470
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My big question is what would be the outcome from ordering a particular test? Presumably the results will inform the treatment, but there should be a general order of less invasive to more invasive (and with anything serious you're going to involve an MD sooner or later). And while it sucks to run around to multiple appointments, you're also getting multiple medical opinions.

There is a wide range of certification/experience levels among physios...I think it would be reasonable to have the most senior physio(s) at a clinic obtain a certification that lets them order these tests. In most cases, this probably wouldn't happen on the initial visit, but after several treatments that see no progress.

Ultimately I think it's a fairly narrow scope where this could be more efficient, with a lot more breadth for abuse/inefficiency.
Yes, this will inevitably lead to more unecessary diagnostic imaging use, but thats not what the UCP is concerned with on the big picture.

Its largely about pushing costs outside of AH/AHS. Some hack chiro ordering a pelvic ultrasound and not knowing what do with the result, is significantly cheaper than also paying GP/Gynecologists fees + further treatment/follow up.

Its also about taking away oversight and agency from MDs on healthcare issues. MD's are expensive, not only in fees, but also because their decisions are primarily healthcare driven, moreso than cheapest option. The paramedical fields are much more controllable under the shroud of non-government services.

Modern diagnostic imaging is also >90% digital, meaning it is easily commoditized, and ripe for cheap private outsourcing to India etc, thereby mitigating the cost of increased imaging utilization. I presume this is the long game.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #1471
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine being passionate about something that impacts your day to day life, your future, your kids future.

Consumed would be that guy going after Tyler Toffoli every chance he gets lol.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #1472
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Yes, this will inevitably lead to more unecessary diagnostic imaging use, but thats not what the UCP is concerned with on the big picture.

Its largely about pushing costs outside of AH/AHS. Some hack chiro ordering a pelvic ultrasound and not knowing what do with the result, is significantly cheaper than also paying GP/Gynecologists fees + further treatment/follow up.

Its also about taking away oversight and agency from MDs on healthcare issues. MD's are expensive, not only in fees, but also because their decisions are primarily healthcare driven, moreso than cheapest option. The paramedical fields are much more controllable under the shroud of non-government services.

Modern diagnostic imaging is also >90% digital, meaning it is easily commoditized, and ripe for cheap private outsourcing to India etc, thereby mitigating the cost of increased imaging utilization. I presume this is the long game.
Related to this is that paramedical (and arguably private healthcare in general) is more driven by 'customer service' than 'medicine'. Of course there are plenty of public docs who end up placating annoying patients by ordering non-necessary tests, but there is generally a better dynamic that allows MDs to more appropriately manage resources without worrying about their next Google review.

Which isn't to say the public system is perfect - unfortunately patients do often need to advocate for themselves strongly at times. But in a for-profit setting the healthcare best-practices become secondary to patients 'feeling' well served.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #1473
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

In fairness to Chandler, it was Jonathan Denis, former Southern Alberta campaign chair for Pierre Polievre and Pierre’s business partner who made the racist jokes ( multiple times). In the videos Chandler was just there.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #1474
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
In fairness to Chandler, it was Jonathan Denis, former Southern Alberta campaign chair for Pierre Polievre and Pierre’s business partner who made the racist jokes ( multiple times). In the videos Chandler was just there.
You mean former Alberta Justice Minister Jonathan Denis? Who was recently convicted of contempt of court? For threatening a public servant?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...mpt-conviction

Just a good reminder that toxicity has long existed in Alberta's conservative parties before they united into a super-villain.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #1475
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alberta's truck training program — MELT — is "woefully inadequate" to prepare new drivers to operate safely on the province's roadways, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

It's seeing an increase in collisions and trucking claims, which has significantly increased the cost of insurance and made traditional insurance companies reluctant to insure new drivers.
Quote:
He said the 120-hour program doesn't stack up to the more than 600 hours of in-class and behind-the-wheel training in other provinces.

"It's more of an orientation and it's not a safe-driving program."
Quote:
"The cost of MELT is about $10,000 per driver. That's quite high compared to other jurisdictions and provinces, where it can be $1,000."
Quote:
Additionally, he said Alberta needs to start treating truck driving like a skilled trade.

"Hairdressers have a more rigorous training program than commercial truckers do," said Sutherland.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...592033?cmp=rss

You know what, why don't we just scrap the truck driver training? Too much red tape getting in the way of business, they can get by with a basic road test for a class 5 like everyone else.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #1476
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You know what, why don't we just scrap the truck driver training? Too much red tape getting in the way of business, they can get by with a basic road test for a class 5 like everyone else.
This sounds like a pretty damning allegation that Alberta is under servicing our truckers and the public in terms of safety but only Quebec has a significantly longer and more exhaustive training program. Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario all participate in the same MELT program with essentially the same training requirements in the 103 to 140 hour range. Atlantic Canada doesn't even appear to have any mandatory training requirements.

Are we leaders in training? Obviously not. Are we laggards? Apparently not considering essentially every other major province does the same.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #1477
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's been awhile since I got my Class 3, but keep in mind you need to pass at least two road tests to get your Class 3 or Class 1 licence. You need a Class 5 Road test) in order to get a Class 1/3 (another road test). And those licences are also not transferrable between provinces as far as I know, unlike a basic Class 5.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #1478
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

She's said it before, and she's saying it again: she's unelectable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1577010434204635136
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #1479
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I love these stories just like VLT guy you only hear about hitting all 7s.
This part of the thread reads like a bunch of people boasting about how naturally smart, while lazy at the same time, they are.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #1480
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What in the actual hell happened in this thread? Fuzz? He's one of the most reasoned, but direct posters on CP when it comes to politics. Doesn't get bent out of shape, just lays out what he sees.

I mean yeah he goes hard on the UCP as any Alberta resident should, but the things being said about him here are just bizarre.
There's no middle ground on this board anymore. Or anywhere, really.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote